Silver Moon - Barbados

texkan

How about some details? Pictures maybe...

Have not downloaded pics yet. Just returned home Monday. Silver Moon picks up at cruise terminal for short ride to Cat. We have sailed on 24 passenger cat.

Cover from sun with toilets on board. Snorkel ship wreck and turtle area.

Lunch of fish chicken salad macaroni banana bread carrot bread and rum punch soda or other drinks are available. There is a crew of 4 and they are all very nice.

Check out Facebook - silver moon Barbados for pics and info.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Check http://www.silvermoonbarbados.com

• 2 weeks later...

The Silver Moon day sail is our all time favorite excursion in the Caribbean. Last March we completed our 7th cruise on the Silver Moon - all with the same great crew.

This is a great day sail that lasts about 5 hours on an uncrowded luxury catamaran. They usually limit the group on the Silver Moon II to twelve although it is very comfortable and uncrowded with a group twice that size. The Silver Moon III (not the boat we took this year but we have in the past) usually sails with a group of 24 as the Silver Moon II occasionally does. The trip includes stops to swim with sea turtles, snorkeling and a final stop in a scenic spot for lunch and time to swim or relax over one of their wonderful rum punches (or another choice of drink). Lunch on this trip included flying fish, my favorite, along with other entrees and side dishes.

I have lots of photos on my web site, some of which include photos of a few of the other popular catamarans in the background (pay attention to the captions). CLICK HERE to be linked to the photos from our latest trip which also has links to other six past trips. Most of the photo galleries also have short reviews of our excursions with them as well. http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises/2012-Equninox-10-Day-Caribbean/Barbados-Silver-Moon-Day-Sail/22757240_mH39MP#!i=1825357801&k=jsb5C7W

You can't go wrong with the great experience on the Silver Moon!

We love lounging on the boat, lunch, and just enjoying the ride as much as we like swimming with the turtles!

Turtle7-L.gif

I will be doing this excursion by the end of this month.... and I wanted to know If I will have any problems taking my professional camara ? I will also take my water camara for photos... but I wanted to know by those that have sailed this excursion or even other catamarans... will my camara be safe to not get wet by any chance ??? I am planning to snorkel, and obviously I have to leave it somewhere? I dont know if to take it because of this... please help !!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you !!

I will be doing this excursion by the end of this month.... and I wanted to know If I will have any problems taking my professional camara ? I will also take my water camara for photos... but I wanted to know by those that have sailed this excursion or even other catamarans... will my camara be safe to not get wet by any chance ??? I am planning to snorkel, and obviously I have to leave it somewhere? I dont know if to take it because of this... please help !!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you !!

Your items will be safe while you are in the water. The Crew is very professional and helpful. We take two cameras (one an underwater). Would suggest you have a waterproof bag for the prof. camera to be on the safe side.

Have a Great time. Silver Moon is a fun and relaxing co to sail with :)

Thank you !!

On the one hand there will be places that are well protected that you can leave your camera and not worry about it for any reason. But there is a good chance you'll want to spend a lot of the sailing time up in front on the netting beneath the sails for lots of different reasons including the fact that the unobstructed views will be better!

Up in front there is a small risk of an ocean spray. When I've taken a camera that was not waterproof (I've taken both on this excursion) I've at least brought along a large zip lock bag to keep my camera in when I'm not using it. If you want to be able to keep your camera out and taking pictures while the waves are spraying (they occasionally may), and even take them into the water at other beaches when you're wading, you might try one of the waterproof bags like a digipack or aquapack. While I wouldn't trust these under the water with an expensive camera I would trust them to keep the camera safe from rain, ocean sprays and an occasional wave splash.

But if you want the camera along but don't want to keep it in front with you all the time then there will be places to store it inside. There are also some windows leading from the inside cabin to the front of the boat and a lot of people will store gear such as camera bags just inside the windows (there will be a place) so they can reach them easily.

On the one hand there will be places that are well protected that you can leave your camera and not worry about it for any reason. But there is a good chance you'll want to spend a lot of the sailing time up in front on the netting beneath the sails for lots of different reasons including the fact that the unobstructed views will be better!

Up in front there is a small risk of an ocean spray. When I've taken a camera that was not waterproof (I've taken both on this excursion) I've at least brought along a large zip lock bag to keep my camera in when I'm not using it. If you want to be able to keep your camera out and taking pictures while the waves are spraying (they occasionally may), and even take them into the water at other beaches when you're wading, you might try one of the waterproof bags like a digipack or aquapack. While I wouldn't trust these under the water with an expensive camera I would trust them to keep the camera safe from rain, ocean sprays and an occasional wave splash.

But if you want the camera along but don't want to keep it in front with you all the time then there will be places to store it inside. There are also some windows leading from the inside cabin to the front of the boat and a lot of people will store gear such as camera bags just inside the windows (there will be a place) so they can reach them easily.

Excellent information!! I cannot be more thankful for you!! I will consider a waterproof case like you said, but just in case, I am

Glad to know there is place for me to store my camera. Thank you so much !!!!!!

Your items will be safe while you are in the water. The Crew is very professional and helpful. We take two cameras (one an underwater). Would suggest you have a waterproof bag for the prof. camera to be on the safe side.

Have a Great time. Silver Moon is a fun and relaxing co to sail with :)

Thank you soo soo much for your help !!!!!! :)

I don't know what kind, or how large, your camera is. But I always take a few zip lock bags on the cruise with me and take one with me when we're headed near the water. In addition to protecting the camera from ocean spray or rain while not being used they can help protect your camera if you need to put it in a damp pocket or a backpack or beach bag that has damp articles in it.

I don't know what kind, or how large, your camera is. But I always take a few zip lock bags on the cruise with me and take one with me when we're headed near the water. In addition to protecting the camera from ocean spray or rain while not being used they can help protect your camera if you need to put it in a damp pocket or a backpack or beach bag that has damp articles in it.

That is also true. I will make sure to pick up a few zip lock bags for the trip..just to be safe. I have a Nikon d300 Not too big but not small either. But i will take just to be safe. Thank you so much! I hope to post a review with pictures once I am back from this wonderful cruise.. I cant wait =) Specially looking forward to the Silver Moon excursion. I am hoping this will be the highlight of our cruise :)

That is also true. I will make sure to pick up a few zip lock bags for the trip..just to be safe. I have a Nikon d300 Not too big but not small either. But i will take just to be safe. Thank you so much! I hope to post a review with pictures once I am back from this wonderful cruise.. I cant wait =) Specially looking forward to the Silver Moon excursion. I am hoping this will be the highlight of our cruise :)

I carry a Nikon D7000 and have taken it on Silvermoon. I kept it in a 1 gallon ziplock when not using it, and was able to store it in a protected area when not using it, and during a quick rain shower. I don't hang out on the netting, so that wasn't an issue for me.

I carry a Nikon D7000 and have taken it on Silvermoon. I kept it in a 1 gallon ziplock when not using it, and was able to store it in a protected area when not using it, and during a quick rain shower. I don't hang out on the netting, so that wasn't an issue for me.

That makes sense !! Thank you !!

Larry -

Thank you for your great posts and pictures - although we have never met, I have learned to trust your judgement on Cruise Critic.:) I already have a booking inquiry into Silver Moon for our day in Barbados.

I did have a question about your waterproof camera - what kind do you use that takes such great pictures underwater? I would love to get one for my husband for his birthday this year in anticipation of this cruise.

Thanks so much!

We use a Canon S95 with underwater housing. There is a new series of this camera with the underwater housing. Current model is S100 (runs around $500) and underwater housing (runs around $200 plus).

You might check Canon PowerShot D10 12MP Waterproof Digital Camera. This is a good camera to use for snorkeling.

We use a Canon S95 with underwater housing. There is a new series of this camera with the underwater housing. Current model is S100 (runs around $500) and underwater housing (runs around $200 plus).

You might check Canon PowerShot D10 12MP Waterproof Digital Camera. This is a good camera to use for snorkeling.

Thanks!

My husband already uses a Canon - so I know he likes their products. We have never invested in a good waterproof camera though - just throw-aways and I think he would love to use one when snorkeling and swimming.

Larry -

Thank you for your great posts and pictures - although we have never met, I have learned to trust your judgement on Cruise Critic.:) I already have a booking inquiry into Silver Moon for our day in Barbados.

I did have a question about your waterproof camera - what kind do you use that takes such great pictures underwater? I would love to get one for my husband for his birthday this year in anticipation of this cruise.

Thanks so much!

Thank you for your comments. I've used several different underwater cameras over the years but they've always been a basic point and shoot camera with a separate underwater housing (marine case). The one I've been using the last couple of years is a Canon 300 HS with the Canon WP-DC41 underwater housing. This is a similar setup to what Texkan described above but his camera is a nicer one that is higher up in the Canon line.

As he indicated there are some cameras that are waterproof and can be taken snorkeling without a separate case. The Canon D10 is one of these models. My issue with those is that you can not take them very deep without them leaking and ruining the camera. I frequently dive down 10 to 20 feet deep while snorkeling. Also, while I've seen a lot of glowing reports on these cameras I've also read a few reviews on Amazon from people who have had these so called waterproof cameras leak and the manufacturers are not very helpful repairing them afterwards. The separate underwater housings, designed for the camera and sold by the manufacturer, are more expensive but much more reliable. Mine is designed for diving and is rated for depths over 100 feet.

Thank you for your comments. I've used several different underwater cameras over the years but they've always been a basic point and shoot camera with a separate underwater housing (marine case). The one I've been using the last couple of years is a Canon 300 HS with the Canon WP-DC41 underwater housing. This is a similar setup to what Texkan described above but his camera is a nicer one that is higher up in the Canon line.

As he indicated there are some cameras that are waterproof and can be taken snorkeling without a separate case. The Canon D10 is one of these models. My issue with those is that you can not take them very deep without them leaking and ruining the camera. I frequently dive down 10 to 20 feet deep while snorkeling. Also, while I've seen a lot of glowing reports on these cameras I've also read a few reviews on Amazon from people who have had these so called waterproof cameras leak and the manufacturers are not very helpful repairing them afterwards. The separate underwater housings, designed for the camera and sold by the manufacturer, are more expensive but much more reliable. Mine is designed for diving and is rated for depths over 100 feet.

Thanks very much for the quick reply. I really love how clear your pictures come out underwater and I know my husband would love to be able to duplicate that.

I only snorkel on the surface but my husband is a better swimmer than I am and might need one that goes deeper.

Thanks again for the info - I will have somewhere to start my research and Canon is his favorite camera brand.

Best!

• 4 weeks later...

HEY ... I just wanted to thank you so much for helping me while deciding what to do for Silver Moon. I had a fabulouss time!!! I would recommend this also over and over again!!! :D

HEY ... I just wanted to thank you so much for helping me while deciding what to do for Silver Moon. I had a fabulouss time!!! I would recommend this also over and over again!!! :D

Glad you had a good time with Silver Moon. They are an A+ in my book.

Hope you got some great pictures.

Based on these reviews (and others) we have booked Silver Moon for our day in Barbados next January - we are really looking forward to it!

Thanks so much for the advice.

January will be here soon. Have a great cruise and great excursion with Silver Moon. Good company with super staff. Elvis has been the captain on sailings we have done :)

Archived