Aplmac help please, Kaboochi

Kaboochi

Hi Aplmac,

It's Kaboochi again. I will be on your beautiful island in Oct and I would appreciate your advice about swimming with the turtles. I have read that Carsisle beach (sp?) is the place to go. I have read that you casn walk in from the beach and swim out to them. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you so much, Kaboochi

Carlisle or Paynes is your best bet.

Yes, you can walk / swim out to the turtles, no problem. Just look for the booze cruise cat's and the dive boats.

There are shipwrecks in Carlisle Bay that are in relatively shallow water.

Heaven!

Cheers, P:)

Carlisle or Paynes is your best bet.

Yes, you can walk / swim out to the turtles, no problem. Just look for the booze cruise cat's and the dive boats.

There are shipwrecks in Carlisle Bay that are in relatively shallow water.

Heaven!

Thank you for the info. My girlfriend and I will be there in oct so I want to check it out. Dh and our 18 other cruisers will be there in feb. it sounds like an amazing day. I have never swam with turtles. Can you feed them or will they bit your finger off?:)

They are amazing, gentle and graceful animals. Generally, if you're on a catamaran cruise, the crew will feed the turtles, although I often see customers feeding them as well.

The bait chunks are large enough that you shouldn't get bit, but the business end of a large hawksbill can be a bit intimidating.

I personally have never been bit by a turtle, but I have been bit by a yellowtail snapper.

If you do end up feeding the turtles, just let go of the bait a half-second before they go for it, just to be sure.

P2240163small.jpg.3653c81d88a22c9c992645e62f9ea93e.jpg

IMGP0658small.jpg.193f53b1dd602e3ef7b658ff22957ae6.jpg

They are amazing, gentle and graceful animals. Generally, if you're on a catamaran cruise, the crew will feed the turtles, although I often see customers feeding them as well.

The bait chunks are large enough that you shouldn't get bit, but the business end of a large hawksbill can be a bit intimidating.

I personally have never been bit by a turtle, but I have been bit by a yellowtail snapper.

If you do end up feeding the turtles, just let go of the bait a half-second before they go for it, just to be sure.

Thank you aimodels,

What do they eat? We feed bananas to the fish. Do turtles like them too? Laurie

Hawksbill turtles usually feed on sponges, but I've also seen them go after chunks of fish, just like the Green turtles do. They also eat shrimp and squid.

I know they like fish, but I've never tried using banana... It would be worth a try:)

As Green turtles mature, their diet changes from meat to sea grass.

Turtles are generally opportunistic feeders - they will eat almost anything if hungry enough.

Archived