Packing and freaking out!! Help!!

alylee777

:eek:Hi all,

My cruise is just a few days away and I can see there is going to be a packing problem. I have far too many clothes and shoes I want to take with me!!

My mom said I can wear some stuff twice and just mix and match the accesories, shoes or actual clothes. I am feeling uncomfortable about this but need to make some kind of sacrifice here.

Do you ladies wear skirts, pants, blouses more then once? Or do you just pack one more bag so you can have ALL the stuff you originally wanted to take?

What to do???

Thanks,

A:D

Hey Alyson, you sound like me, LOL, but I think I did a pretty good job of putting together mix and match outfits. I have dresses mostly for dinner, and like 4 sort of dressy capri outfits for casual, with matching bags, and shoes, :D so I hear yah. My stuff has to match.:D

Anyway, I think I am taking more "stuff" than clothes, LOL. I am not a big skirt person, they make my butt look wider, LOL. I am only taking 2 pairs of shorts, and tops to match though, but I plan to wear whatever is comfortable in port.

I am not going on any excursions, so shopping is the thing.;)

Oh, I may wear something more than once, it depends on how it wears, or what I spill on me.;)

I say take what you know you will wear, leave the rest, but for god's sake, ya gotta have the accessories.:D

I generally have a pair of white slacks and a pair of black slacks with simple sandle style shoes to go with each and an assortment of tops. For instance, you can wear the white slacks with a black tank and blouse or the black slacks with the same tops and different jewelry (dressier). I have white and black bra tanks that I wear under plain or printed tops. I also take one formal outfit and 1 semi formal that will go with the black or white shoes. Don't worry about wearing the same thing twice. Most people are so concerned about their own clothes they won't even notice. I used to take a different outfit for every evening (when I was younger) but now that I'm an "old broad" i've relaxed my way of thinking but without ignoring style & taste. Have a wonderful cruise and RELAX, TAKE A BREATH & LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER. :)

I think many of us packed this way on our first cruise. It's hard not to overpack, as you need daytime clothes and evening clothes. Just remember, you probably will not need an outfit for every single sea day, you will be in yor bathing suit and cover up most of the time. I have succesfully cut back on my evening clothes by wearing black pants and 3 different tops for semi-casual or casual nights. I wear the same outfit for embarkation and disembarkation, same outfit first and last nights dinners. I take one long dress and one short dress for formal nights and I do not take along dresses that have full skirts. Take advantage of the laundry/dry cleaning service onboard, it's a great way to cut back.

I do take enough underwear for the week, though, I don't tolerate wet laundry hanging around too much. I also like to take several bathing suits, since I'm in those almost more than clothes. Cut way back on "stuff", don't pack anything that you cannot get by without and don't pack anything that is already provided by the ship. Except toiletries, the stuff onboard is nasty. Pack a very small first aid kit, include bandaids. Take minimal makeup, you won't really want to be bothered with it, but take more sunscreen than you think you need.

Finally, something many women don't like to hear, but so true, is to cut down on the number of shoes you pack. Take your most comfortable sandals and leave the cute ones at home, your feet and your back will thank you.

Good luck! I hope you can cut down to what is manageable!

Last count, I had 11 pairs of shoes, LOL....includung my fav sandals, and tennis shoes. All of my outfits are very colorful, and I am not sure I can get by without the shoes, LOL.....I hate white shoes, unless they have something on them to break up the blankness of them, so that was not an option, tan, too boring, black, I do have, but only one outfit for day that is black, and both formal nights outfits are black, os I have dressy shoes for them....

I think I will be ok though, I will have one carry-on, one garment bag, and one big suitcase....does that seem overkill? LOL...but some of the stuff I am taking has nothing to do with attire. Tripod, laptop, shhhh...coffee pot,:rolleyes: LOL...powerstrip, blowdryer, stuff like that....I just can't have rotgut coffee first thing in the morning when I am out of the balcony.:)

1corona4u, I got a chuckle out of the white shoes comment, I've always hated white shoe (on me), my feet are pretty big, so I end up looking like Minnie Mouse. The only white shoes I ever wear are the ones of the athletic persuasion.

1corona4u, I got a chuckle out of the white shoes comment, I've always hated white shoe (on me), my feet are pretty big, so I end up looking like Minnie Mouse. The only white shoes I ever wear are the ones of the athletic persuasion.

White shoes, belts, and purses....never buy them. I did get a pair of Steve Madden sandals, that have white inner soles, and white thongs(OH NO!! LOL)with really cute small blue/green jewels/chains on them, so not too bad....heel is wood....about 2 1/4". I am not big on tall heels either. Especially since I broke my foot last year....still is not right.:rolleyes: (broke 4 medatarsals)(sp?)

I remember a fashion seminar I went to some years ago that said people usually don't remember what you were wearing -- they just remember that you looked great. That's sort of a comforting thought, especially when you're trying to save room in the suitcase!!

I over-packed, too, on our first cruise, and have sworn I'll never do it again. Dragging all those suitcases -- UGH!!! Next time it's the rolling garment bag and a carry-on and that's it!!

Have a great time on your cruise!!

Thanks All!

1Corona I will see you on Navigator soon! It sounds like your taste might be similar to mine. I've got lots of black in my wardrobe and I think I have it down to 7 pairs of shoes!!

This will be my 4th cruise so I have some experience with the packing situation but it just gets overwhelming sometimes. I think the outfits are kind of a security blanket in new situations.

About the underwear...I figure I will need about 18 pairs because we will be gone 9 nights. This seems crazy but I am not washing my panties in the sink!!

In terms of accesories and jewelry...do you try them on with the outfits before hand or just pack a bunch of favorites to mix and match??

Ok

it's late.

Nite

Thanks All!

1Corona I will see you on Navigator soon! It sounds like your taste might be similar to mine. I've got lots of black in my wardrobe and I think I have it down to 7 pairs of shoes!!

This will be my 4th cruise so I have some experience with the packing situation but it just gets overwhelming sometimes. I think the outfits are kind of a security blanket in new situations.

About the underwear...I figure I will need about 18 pairs because we will be gone 9 nights. This seems crazy but I am not washing my panties in the sink!!

In terms of accesories and jewelry...do you try them on with the outfits before hand or just pack a bunch of favorites to mix and match??

Ok

it's late.

Nite

Underwear, what is that, LOL.:D My underwear is equal to the number of dresses I will be wearing. Nuff said.;) Jewelry, I don't wear anything to match. I have gold & diamonds that I wear everyday, and never change them. They go with everything. Not that much either really.... The one cocktail dress I have, I can't wear any necklace with, because it has a sheer front on the top part of it, so nothing looks right with it, and it comes all the way up to the neck.

I guess I am lucky in that I have long ago gotten over the jewelry thing, having earrings, necklaces, etc. to match everything, as I use to spend a ton of money on that stuff. I think I decided that less is more at some point, LOL...

I don't wear a whole lot of jewelry, maybe a bit more when we dress up. But I always try it on with an outfit before leaving. There are just times when you think a necklace is perfect, then when you put it on, it doesn't fall in the right place. I don't like the look of "matching" jewelry, I like to mix it up a bit. When things match too closely, it reminds me of a bedroom display at JC Penney. Not that that is a bad thing, just a bit too contrived for me. I like the look of things that have evolved comfortably, if that makes any sense at all.

Corona you are a FEISTY one! What is your name? I look forward to meeting you.

As for the jewelry I am not really into the matchy costume stuff but do have alot of white gold, modern sterling silver and turquoise I like to mix it up with like you said ks. I will just pack it all and put it together as I go.

I think my husband and son will have to share a suitcase and I will have my own. This seems fair to me. Girls need more stuff.

Does anyone bring a travel iron? I am seriously considering this.

alylee,

Buy some of those space bags where you roll them to get the air out. They will let you pack more than if you didn't use them. We used them on our last trip for the first time and they are great for keeping things in order. All my undies in one smaller bag, all my shorts in another, etc. You get the idea. Then they will help you to keep straight what is dirty and what is clean. Also, if you have a wet bathing suit, you can keep it from getting other things wet. It takes a little practice in getting the bags flat, but worth it.

Corona you are a FEISTY one! What is your name? I look forward to meeting you.

As for the jewelry I am not really into the matchy costume stuff but do have alot of white gold, modern sterling silver and turquoise I like to mix it up with like you said ks. I will just pack it all and put it together as I go.

I think my husband and son will have to share a suitcase and I will have my own. This seems fair to me. Girls need more stuff.

Does anyone bring a travel iron? I am seriously considering this.

NO IRONS, LOL.....big safety issue. Take a steamer, PLEASE, LOL.....do a search on the board, and you will see what people think about this...I know people say it's ok, but if something happens, and somehow you forget to turn it off, then it could start a fire, say if the ship was rocking and it fell on the floor.....too risky I think.

Yeah, I am feisty, LOL....I have to be, I am my sole provider.:D Have to be tough in this world....to survive that is. Look forward to meeting you, and I'd rather tell you my name when I see you.;)

Alylee777, You might want to cross pack a bit. If your suitcase goes to a different location than you, you will still have some clothes to wear. I try to pack half and half, being careful to pack each type of clothing (and shoes) into each suitcase.

alylee,

Buy some of those space bags where you roll them to get the air out. They will let you pack more than if you didn't use them.

I got some of these for my upcoming trip and really like them but found that they don't work very well with jeans. But they worked great with stuff like towels (sp?) and shirts and I bet they'd work pretty good with pillows too. I just got the travel kind that you just roll but I bet the vaccuum kind works even better.

I'm definitely wearing jeans more than once so I wouldn't worry too much about wearing stuff like that more than once. If anybody notices and thinks badly of it, it's their problem not yours.

Thanks all,

Believe it or not it was finally my husband who got me to calm down. He basically said you have one of 2 choices...pack less or bring one more suitcase. I decided to borrow my Mom's rolling duffle bag and just suck it up. Until I learn to be a Light Packer I will just have to have 1 more bag!!!

Thanks All

Personally, I think being a light packer is overrated! I'd rather have the choice and an extra bag :) Although I did fit everything for Germany (including an extra bag) in one 26" upright!

Why do you need 18 pairs of underwear for 9 days?

Be careful of using those space-saver bags. Less bulk does not necessarily mean less weight, and some airlines are very strict about their weight limits.

I tend to want to bring everything so I have lots of choices too, but got tired of schlepping all those bags (I am a single female, travelling with a girlfriend most of time, so don't have a beast-of-burden man to help me). After a few cruises, I got that out of my system, and I'm hugely into packing light now.

Yes, I sometimes wear things more than once, and quite frankly, nobody notices.

I find that can pack light and still look fashionable and appropriate.

T

Just returned from my wonderful week cruising.. here is my advice.. Set out everything you want to bring and put 3/4th back in your closets~

I had my entire closet plus 10, yes I admit it 10 pairs of shoes with me. Take your favorites and a couple of dresses and have some fun. :)

Have a wonderful cruise!

I haven't finished making my list yet, but I need to because I think I need to buy some clothes. When I pack, I bring enough to last 1/2 the cruise. For example, my next cruise is for 12 days, so I wear one set of clothes and bring 6 sets. On the night of my 7th day, I use their self-serve laundry and wash a couple of loads, and it's all fresh again. When I get my packing list, I'll post it.

I kept buying and buying and buying. The question is how am I going to pack it all away? I've bought like 8 new pairs of sandals alone. I know everyone says not to overpack, I just can't imagine what I'm really going to want to wear once onboard. This is going to be tough. It'll be my husband and myself, I just wonder how many suitcases to take?

NO IRONS, LOL.....big safety issue. Take a steamer, PLEASE, LOL.....do a search on the board, and you will see what people think about this...I know people say it's ok, but if something happens, and somehow you forget to turn it off, then it could start a fire, say if the ship was rocking and it fell on the floor.....too risky I think.

Yeah, I am feisty, LOL....I have to be, I am my sole provider.:D Have to be tough in this world....to survive that is. Look forward to meeting you, and I'd rather tell you my name when I see you.;)

Sorry, you have to be so tough to survive that is. You are a piece to work.:rolleyes:

LOL. you sound like you are the only one who had it tough!!

Archived