Tipping for toddlers?

I hate these tip posts becuase they always get off topic and start bashing people.. I will say YOU GO Mrs. Pete!!!

That being said I have to agree also that when i went with my toddler.. he was a lot of extra work for someone... and i also am a neat freak... but heck I was on vacation and having soemone entertain him a bit while we ate was PRICELESS!!!! and let me tell you a dirty diaper not removed ASAP from a cabin can ruin not only your cruise but the cabin around yours also:D

The cruising industry is ever changing and the mass market huge ships are geared toward all types of people and if a person saves and scrimps for a cruise that once in a lifetime trip good for them and how much they tip should not be an issue to anyone but them and i am sure the cabin steward waiter etc.. also understand teh value of money and appreciate whatever they get.

Your post makes no sense. You're basically saying that it's OK that your kid is a lot of extra work, yet you eluded to not tipping well....

If you don't factor the TIPS into the vacation, STAY HOME!! If you have to "scrimp and save" for a cruise, I think you should find a vacation you CAN afford to do right.

Blast away, but be ready for battle.:mad:

Your post makes no sense. You're basically saying that it's OK that your kid is a lot of extra work, yet you eluded to not tipping well....

If you don't factor the TIPS into the vacation, STAY HOME!! If you have to "scrimp and save" for a cruise, I think you should find a vacation you CAN afford to do right.

Blast away, but be ready for battle.:mad:

as i said don't make a personal attack against me I am ready for battle also but read my post again i never stated what i would tip i did however state that it was PRICELESS that would there fore imply i tipped very well.. which by the way is no ones business but myself and the cabin stewards.. and don't worry I can well afford a cruise!

Back off!! first we are not their boss 2nd I never said what my opinion of tipping was and don't presume to know what the understanding is between my boss and myself... You just made a personal attack against me and i do not like it!!!!!!!!!

We are not their boss but we are the ones paying their salary.

I can´t see where I personally attacked you :confused: unless you think it´s a personal attack when I hold the mirror in front of you and you don´t like what you see. :eek:

Tj, I think that's a very general assumption!

tweegalady,

Sorry to say but I have seen it first hand.1 more towel is all you say they have to do but there is alot more then you think. If the child wets the bed gets sick do you wash the sheets also. Do you clean and sanatize the room. if they throw somthing in the toilet do you repair the plumbing.I raised 3 children on a ship so I can say yes to the things you ask . we had our own shower curtain to put on the floor for the children to eat on. I know my children could open a heavy steel fire proof door before they were 2.

Tj

We are not their boss but we are the ones paying their salary.

I can´t see where I personally attacked you :confused: unless you think it´s a personal attack when I hold the mirror in front of you and you don´t like what you see. :eek:

excuse me.... what was that.....looks to me like it just happened again.. you are arguing with the wrong person.. it would seem that I agree with what most of you have said... but i also agree with mrs. pete...

It´s very nice from you to pay for your parents cruise and take them to the vacatoin of their lifetime. However I still think if you know that your parents can´t afford the tip you should feel responsible for that part of the trip too and pay the tip for your parents too. If you can´t afford it you may have waited a few weeks longer until you saved up that money too.

Yes I think they shouldn´t have gone on the cruise if the tip wasn´t taken care of. The crew worked for them and I´m sure they did a good job and your parents were taken well care off. The crew should have received their money for the service.

Why do you feel so much superior to the hard working crew?

Don´t look down to the crew and think well they are just crew and mostly from poor countries, they don´t have to get paid if I just can´t afford it and it´s my vacation I don´t want to think about the poor guy. I worked hard for my money to afford a cruise vacation and I´m not going to worry about the fact you have to work for free to me.

Who looks down on who???

Oh, I AM paying my part of the tip. Personally, I think the cruise lines should not make the staff have to depend on tips---I don't know what kind of base pay they have, but I'm sure it isn't high enough.

The guidelines for tips the lines give are just that--GUIDELINES. I personally think that you can go UP or DOWN from that point as your budget allows, allowing for how good or poor their service was.

excuse me.... what was that.....looks to me like it just happened again.. you are arguing with the wrong person.. it would seem that I agree with what most of you have said... but i also agree with mrs. pete...

:confused: :confused: Are we still on the same thread :confused: :confused:

Uh,,,,I don't think you know WAHT you think....if you agree with Ms Pete, then YOU are in thinking with her. Take a position will ya. Get off the fence.:rolleyes:

Oh, I AM paying my part of the tip. Personally, I think the cruise lines should not make the staff have to depend on tips---I don't know what kind of base pay they have, but I'm sure it isn't high enough.

The guidelines for tips the lines give are just that--GUIDELINES. I personally think that you can go UP or DOWN from that point as your budget allows, allowing for how good or poor their service was.

The dress codes are guidelines, the tipping is a guideline....blah, blah, blah........whatever.:rolleyes:

"I personally think that you can go UP or DOWN from that point as your budget allows, allowing for how good or poor their service was."

Budget????:rolleyes:

I personally think that you can go UP or DOWN from that point as your budget allows, allowing for how good or poor their service was.

I agree with the service part but I disagree that it should have anything to do with your budget. Your budget should at least cover the recommended tip.

for our cruise next year on NCL the first thing we're doing is removing the automatic tips from our account.... we have 2 adults & 5 kids..... I've heard NCL adds $10 a day per person????? $10 x 7ppl x 7 days = $490 in automatic tips???? theres no way in hell!!!! we always tip generously, but tipping for toddlers should definitely not be automatic, it should be voluntary..... :)

I am on my way to get my hair done, which cost me $130.00. BUT, I BUDGET for $150.00, to include a $20.00 TIP for my hairdresser. If I didn't have it all, I would wait until I did!!!!:cool:

I fully expect that by the time I get home, this thread will be one or locked.

To the families that scrimp and save to take all their children on a cruise, save some more and budget for the tips required. And yes, they are well deserved and more important to the crew than your family vacation.

The crew, I'm sure, cringe when they have a big family, especially if they service two rooms from the same family.

I know when I used to be a waitress, I cringed when I waited on large families. Some people never tip for the their kids, because they're too cheap.

for our cruise next year on NCL the first thing we're doing is removing the automatic tips from our account.... we have 2 adults & 5 kids..... I've heard NCL adds $10 a day per person????? $10 x 7ppl x 7 days = $490 in automatic tips???? theres no way in hell!!!! we always tip generously, but tipping for toddlers should definitely not be automatic, it should be voluntary..... :)

If you get good service and tip less than $490, that's not "generous", it's CHEAP. You know the guidelines, you have seven people in your party (a passenger is a passenger, no matter the age), tip accordingly! $490! The only good reason to tip any less is if you get bad service.

I agree that the cruise line should take care of the salary of the crew and they shouldn´t rely on tips as their salary. I would feel way better if this would be the case and if my tip would just be the little extra thank you. But reality is different.

The whole discussion about personal budget and adjusting tips because of the budget makes me think about this:

There are cruiselines that charge the tips now with the cruise fare ( I think NCL does this). So the tip is paid in advanced and is part of the cruise fare. However you are able to adjust this amount once onboard.

To all of you that think it´s OK to lower the tip because you can´t afford the full amount is it OK in this case too? Here it is more than visible that it is part of the salary of the crew as it might be on RCCL.

My next cruise is booked on NCL and I wouldn't think of removing the gratuity from my bill and will give extra for good service. If you can't afford the $490 then leave a kid or two at home so you can afford your trip, including gratuity.

Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Yes, toddlers count as people and since they won't remember the trip anyway, leave them home with grandma. Taking them is a waste of money in my opinion.

Okay, flame away!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe this will get another thread zapped just when it gets interesting. To do this, use the triangle in the upper right hand corner.

I love these threads, they remind me of the review threads that are posted. I see the same bashers on here at it again. If you don't tip as they say you should tip, then you're wrong. Same as the reviews, see it their way or be prepared to take the wrath of these experts.

As for the boss analogy, that is absolutely absurd. Giving a tip for service is just that. Provide me with the service that is so well advertised in the brochures I receive or I walk away and leave an empty envelope. I paid $10.000 dollars for a 12 day cruise to Tahiti and you think because I can afford that, I should just put money in an envelope just because a guy made my bed and swept the floor?

Yes, I do, GRL, and also tip the people who carry your luggage, drive your cab or bus. Heck, I even tipped the guy that towed by car once. After all, he didn't own the tow truck and he towed me 100 miles on a Friday night, instead of being with his family. I appreciated it.

I love these threads, they remind me of the review threads that are posted. I see the same bashers on here at it again. If you don't tip as they say you should tip, then you're wrong. Same as the reviews, see it their way or be prepared to take the wrath of these experts.

As for the boss analogy, that is absolutely absurd. Giving a tip for service is just that. Provide me with the service that is so well advertised in the brochures I receive or I walk away and leave an empty envelope. I paid $10.000 dollars for a 12 day cruise to Tahiti and you think because I can afford that, I should just put money in an envelope just because a guy made my bed and swept the floor?

Again the discussion is not about adjusting the tip because of god or bad service!

It´s about adjusting it just because of budget issues!

Obviously, NONE of these people have ever been in a service related industry. If they had, they wouldn't give a GOOD tip a second thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The staff on MY cruise will be well rewarded. I plan to drop at least another $200.00 above the prepaid tips I have already paid for, and INCLUDED in the price of my cruise!!!

Again the discussion is not about adjusting the tip because of god or bad service!

It´s about adjusting it just because of budget issues!

Actually, it's about neither. It's about rather you tip full amount for a toddler. Which to that, I would say....NO.

AMEN!!!!!

Yes, I do, GRL, and also tip the people who carry your luggage, drive your cab or bus. Heck, I even tipped the guy that towed by car once. After all, he didn't own the tow truck and he towed me 100 miles on a Friday night, instead of being with his family. I appreciated it.

Somebody's braggin!

I must honestly say I would freakin NEVER tip someone who towed my car. That's a tad retarded.

But on topic, I don't think you should have to tip the full anmount for toddlers--I think 50% should work.

Archived