moped in Nassau

louirish

We will be going on a Caribbean cruise in the next two weeks. We have booked excursions everywhere except Nassau. We wondered if there is a place to rent scooters or mopeds. Is is safe to do this in Nassau?:)

There are plenty of scooters available for rent in Nassau. They are right as you walk outside the main building at the cruise pier. As to their safety, I have seen at least one high profile case of tourists injured while driving around the island on one lately. I suppose it depends on your skill level and how comfortable you are operating one on the left side of the road. Of course, accidents can happen even to the most skilled drivers, so there is never any guarantees. Personally, I wouldn't rent one, but lots do without incident.

On my second cruise in 1987 (Bermuda), a couple on our ship (MV Atlantic) rented mopeds. It did not have a happy ending. I believe it was the husband who died.

Unless you have a lot of experience with them, take a pass.

I would highly suggest NOT doing the scooters. I use to own one, they are not as easy as they appear. As comfortable as I am with them, having one, I would never rent one from there.

I just got off the ship this week and someone off our ship had an accident. What they do is make you test drive the scooter down a little alley way to see how good you do, how you handle it. Ive seen some pretty scary test drives. And, as previous poster said, even if you are very comfortable with a scooter, they drive really aggressive on the island. They are use to it and go with the flow but i would never try to drive on that island. Again, its your decision but I would never do the scooters. There are other options, such as a cab, bus, or walking or even horse/carriage.

If you are still considering the scooter, when you enter into nassau, you go through the indoor walkway, its air conditioned and some venders set up. Once you walk out its on your right, you cant miss the scooters. But...just take a few minutes to watch other people try to test drive the scooters. If you do decided to rent them...be very careful and safe.

I have rode mopeds quite a bit over the years but we are with several other people who have not rode much. I think we will have to pass on this. thanks for the info.

We are just looking for something fun to do and can't find any excursion that sounded fun...

I would highly suggest NOT doing the scooters. I use to own one, they are not as easy as they appear. As comfortable as I am with them, having one, I would never rent one from there.

I just got off the ship this week and someone off our ship had an accident. What they do is make you test drive the scooter down a little alley way to see how good you do, how you handle it. Ive seen some pretty scary test drives. And, as previous poster said, even if you are very comfortable with a scooter, they drive really aggressive on the island. They are use to it and go with the flow but i would never try to drive on that island. Again, its your decision but I would never do the scooters. There are other options, such as a cab, bus, or walking or even horse/carriage.

If you are still considering the scooter, when you enter into nassau, you go through the indoor walkway, its air conditioned and some venders set up. Once you walk out its on your right, you cant miss the scooters. But...just take a few minutes to watch other people try to test drive the scooters. If you do decided to rent them...be very careful and safe.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think we will pass on the mopeds.

Any other suggestions for a fun day in Nassau?

:)

Ok, I guess this was a bad idea...any other suggestions for a place to go that day?:)

Ok, point taken...any other suggestions for a fun day in Nassau?:confused:

On my second cruise in 1987 (Bermuda), a couple on our ship (MV Atlantic) rented mopeds. It did not have a happy ending. I believe it was the husband who died.

Unless you have a lot of experience with them, take a pass.

No on scooter rental. Segway is 100% different then Disney we have been on the Segway 2 different times. Disney spends an hour going over safety and on the Bahamas we spent 5 minutes. Watched people fall off of them left and right. This time I just spent the trip in January looking for fake Louie bags and had a blast doing it

I was just there last week. I ride motorcylces and I would never rent/ride a scooter over there. We took the horse and buggy ride thats just left of the scooters as you exit the market place. It was actually a nice little ride/tour for $15 bucks per person. We talked them down to $40 for 3 people. We got a chance to see places that we later walked to after the ride.....

We have rented mopeds in Nassau a few times, actually enough times that the rental guy remembers my husband by name everytime we go there...nice guy...

BUT, we have a motorcycle and he rides...I DO NOT advise renting scooters unless you are a licensed motorcylce rider and EXPERIENCED in high traffic...

If you are, go for it and have a blast, if not, find something else to do...

• 1 month later...

Bumping a little bit of an old thread to add my experience.

We rented scooters this week in Nassau. 3 people already had moped/motorcycle experience - I had never even been on the back of a motorcycle. We rented from the little kiosks inside the cruise terminal. We were charged $50 for the day, plus $10 for insurance, $10 for gas, and $20 deposit.

We went outside and found the guy. I had to do the test drive thing down the narrow alley. It didn't seem too bad. They did give us helmets and the contract we signed said they were mandatory. Good thing too! Here in Iowa helmets aren't mandatory and I really wish they were.

We had to wait around for forever while they figured out our bikes. The bikes are not in the greatest condition. The gas gauges don't work correctly, mine had a broken side view mirror (it would not stay in place). The gas can they had didn't have enough gas in it, so one of the guys finally said we could follow him to the gas station and he would fill up the bike there and we could be on our way. We easily wasted at least half an hour waiting for them.

Then, we get up the road, and the bike I am riding has the throttle pop. Scared the crap out of me because all of a sudden my bike won't go and I'm in the middle of the road! The employee traded bikes with me, then had me trade with one of my friends (as one of the bikes was a kick starter and I have no clue how to do that). He opened up the gas tank and even though it didn't look full to me, he said I would be fine for the day.

We then tried to make our way to the zoo. We got a bit lost and stopped at a gas station. He told us the directions and we started off. I must have gone too fast on my throttle, as I zoomed and couldn't turn fast enough, went over a curb, and crashed. Somehow I only ended up with a scraped up knee, back thigh, and heel. The bike seemed fine because it ended in the grass. We decided to keep going.

After the zoo we rode down to the Wyndham to use the beach. They told us it is a 20 minute trip from Cable to the cruise dock. We left at 3 (bikes due back at 3:30) and ended up running into huge traffic - 2/3 accidents/disabled cars on the road.

When we got back, they told us we were late, we would be losing our deposits, and each have to pay $35 for an extra hour. We tried to argue that they lost us time by making us wait for 30-45 minutes at the beginning, but then they started talking about calling the police, so obviously we had to pay. They also charged me $50 for bike damages - although I think the only reason they knew that I fell was because there was some dirt stuck on the side of the bike...with the condition they were in I don't know how they could tell if there were new scratches.

While we were arguing with them over the late fee, one of the employees was moving the bikes to put away. He was so close to my friend and ended up bumping her into the muffler of one of the bikes we had just parked. She ended up with a huge burn/blister on her calf from this. All they would say is 'It wasn't us, it was the guy from the other company'. BS. They all work together - it was crap. While 2 of us went inside to get money from the ship (they wouldn't let all of us leave of course) the girl who got burned apparently started yelling at them. What I would have paid to see that! :)

In conclusion, while riding the scooters was fun and it was nice to have our own transportation, I would not suggest renting a scooter unless you are experienced, and are willing to pay the exorbitant costs they will tack on at the end of the rental.

Just don't do it. I live on the island and see serious to critical accidents every day. Sometimes several times a day. Roads are in disrepair, potholes everywhere.. crazy drivers.. and now we have criminals that will try and rob you when you venture outside of the tourist areas.

Find something else to do.. seqways would be a good alternative.

My DH wants to rent mopeds in Nassau, I will have to share this thread with him...

Although several years ago, never having ridden a scooter or motorcycle before, my friend ANSI rented scooters in Freeport and came home unscathed.... Although we didn't really ride them too far since we were nervous about riding them and getting lost...........

Soon to be Mrs. Taddeo. 8-10-12

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My DH wants to rent mopeds in Nassau, I will have to share this thread with him...

Although several years ago, never having ridden a scooter or motorcycle before, my friend ANSI rented scooters in Freeport and came home unscathed.... Although we didn't really ride them too far since we were nervous about riding them and getting lost...........

Freeport is far different from Nassau. Roads are uncrowded and better maintained in Freeport. No traffic to speak of.

Nassau is congestion, pot holes, drunk drivers, speeding jitneys and now there the crime element.

I don't even drive my car on most streets in nassau.

here's a couple of articles that you should read before renting.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_jersey&id=8605149

http://www.thenassauguardian.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=20994:tourist-critically-injured-following-collision-with-taxibus&catid=3:news&Itemid=27

I don't want to rent..... Especially with our 7 year old!!! But DH thinks its a good idea...

I am a nurse and I did a travel assignment on Nantucket, an island off the coast of Massachusetts, and there were lots of scooter rentals there and lots of serious TRAUMA that had to be airlifted off the island....

Of course in the US we have EMTALA laws which means we can't refuse anyone emergency treatment regardless of their health insurance, or lack of.........

I don't want to rent..... Especially with our 7 year old!!! But DH thinks its a good idea...

I am a nurse and I did a travel assignment on Nantucket, an island off the coast of Massachusetts, and there were lots of scooter rentals there and lots of serious TRAUMA that had to be airlifted off the island....

Of course in the US we have EMTALA laws which means we can't refuse anyone emergency treatment regardless of their health insurance, or lack of.........

Let your DH do what he wants and take you child somewhere safe. Scooters are not a toy.. especially with children on board.

My point of posting was not so much about insurance as to the extent of damage done to drivers and riders. These are not bruised knees.. they are life threatening injuries - some fatal.

Even a true biker would be skiddish on these roads with potholes and ridges that are just too dangerous to navigate.

Archived