have to do an excursion???

missync

from pretty much everything I've read, you pretty much have to do an excursion in Belize correct? it doesn't sound like anything is easy to get to or close, especially the things that are worth seeing.

is that true? i know a lot of people have said they don't even get off the boat but i definitely don't want to do that.

I'm just trying to plan my cruise because I'm going to Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel and I can't afford excursions everywhere.

I think you are trying to distinguish between ships excursions and excursions you may book on your own. Is this right?

It is recommended by most people, that Belize excursions should be ships excursions (booked through the ship) because in Belize, the ship uses tender boats to ferry cruisers back and forth from the ship to Belize. It really puts an extra wrinkle in trying to plan trips on your own, that when ships actually dock at the port don't have to try and plan around.

We were in Belize a couple of weeks ago, my wife had to wait on tender boats to get ashore. She wasn't sure what time she would get ashore, because the cruise excursions had priority over others getting ashore without a booked cruise excursion. She just was going shopping, so the time wasn't as pressing.

I book almost all of my excursions independant of the ship, but in Belize, I always go through the ship. That may change in the future, but it hasn't yet.

Hope that helps clear it up some.

Yes, that is right. You need to book an excursion in Belize. You may get a few replies from others that state they walked around Belize City, shopped, etc., but that is the minority. For us personally, it would not be worth the hassle of getting off of the ship. It really is that bad in our opinion.

We do not do ship excursions in Belize. As expensive as a private tour can be, the ship is even more. Over the past years, we have done Cave Tubing with Nacho and Cynthia (you can search there names on these boards) and they were great. We did Caye Caulker last trip and it wasn't worth the long water taxi ride. Other family did ziplining with cave tubing with a private company and loved it.

Yes, with a private tour, the ship makes you wait until the ship's excursions get off first. Keep that in mind when booking an excursion. You may want to make it later or just ask the tour company. They are use to dealing with this issue. Some ships give out tender tickets to those not on a ship's tour for early times but you need to wait in line starting at about 7AM to get one. They really make you jump through some hoops! But to us, it is worth it not to be on the ship's excursion with the bus loads of people. A lot of time is wasted and the experience is just not the same as a small group not matter which way you look at it.

On the bright side, your other 3 ports, Roatan, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel are great! You shouldn't have to spend a lot of money in those ports. Do some searches on the boards for ideas.

Belize was wonderful for us. We toured the brewery in Ladyville and then hit a grocery store for liquor ( way cheaper than the Duty Free in the Tourism Village) and then had time for late lunch and wandering the marvelous architecture in the city. Folks were super nice. near the TV some venders were a bit forceful in hawking wares, but a simple no did the trick. 99% of the folks we ate with and chatted that were local were wonderful. WE are planning on returning to Belize for sure, we enjoyed the culture and people here more than Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

We never felt unsafe and infact folks were nicer and nicer the further away from the ship we were. It looks a bit rough in spots, but looks are decieving.

Is there any shopping when you get off the tender? I am trying to figure out what to do. But I want suvoniers if I don't do nothing here

Check out this thread for some good information:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1607239

Be Sure and check out the Greatest Dream review by a man named Ray, has a lot of great pictures.

:)

I highly recommend a excursion if you are in Belize. We booked Xunatunich with the ship and had a wonderful time.

There are a lot to do in Belize... we are planning our return to Belize next year via cruise and plan on tubing next.

There are a lot of shop inside the port area if you want to buy souvenirs.

We were so hassled getting off the ship by the locals. And I will say I had some fear booking a private excursion... but it worked out GREAT!

Took our familiy of 5 - 3, 5 and 15 year old kids and my husband and I... decided to do the ruins and monkey sanctuary tour. We had a blast. Nacho is very knowledgeable and we learned lots.... plus keeping it interesting for EVERYONE. We weren't up for shopping but wanted to sample the local fruits... so they stopped and bought some for us to try. Really treated us like family. I know they also do the more adventurous tours too. Nacho and Cynthia made the tour for us.

• 3 weeks later...

You will need to do an excursion for Belize as there is really nothing at the port except Belize city itself of course.

If you do not go somewhere specific I would recomend sleeping in a little, eating a nice breakfast and hit the tenders after the mad rush for excursions has died down. There are a few shops in the port terminal. I do have to say that the vendors just outside the terminal main door are the most agressive I have ever experienced.

There is a bar there called the Wet lizard or somethign that alot of people recomend and there is a little shopping courtyard attached to it. You could walk around a little bit as well. Once you get a block or so from the terminal you can breath again.

Everyone says it's too dangerous to walk into Belize City, but I want to experience the culture & people. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for me?

For us, it wasn't really that is was dangerous (but did feel that way for some reason), but more about just feeling overwhelming by locals trying to sell you things when you left tourism village. We couldn't focus on "the culture". While walking to the water taxi (to get to Caye Caulker), I can't imagine really getting a feel for the culture and people in Belize City. We have interacted with locals in other ports and did feel like we got a feeling for the people and culture, but not in Belize City. This is just my opinion.

Hopefully others can help.

I also think an excursion is the best route, but even if you don't do an excursion, I would say go ahead and get off the ship. There are maybe a dozen or so shops right at the port. If nothing else, go to the Wet Lizard right at the port and have a drink or a local beer (Belikan) and a little something to eat. It's on the second floor and overlooks the port area and the water. After our excursion, we sat up there for about an hour. The water is very pretty.

If you've never been to Belize before, at least you can say that you've been there, even if you don't leave the port area. :) We even thought the tender ride was kind of cool!

Archived