Mother's Day brunch in Houston

mikesteg

We are on Magic, returning on Mother's Day. Our flight out is not until 2:15 from Hobby and we have a rental car so we have plenty of time and flexibility. Something on the Houston end would probably be better timing-wise.

Any suggestions for a nice place ($20-50pp) for MD brunch?

Thanks!

Tha Galveston Historical Foundation is having a Mother's Day brunch at 10 am at the Garten Verein on Ave O. Check it out at galvestonhistory.org

The cost is $45/each.

My daughter and I have attended several times and thoroughly enjoy.

It is early enough to give you time to get to the airport.

Thanks everyone. Brennan's sounds great to me, but DW doesn't east seafood or eggs so it looks like a pretty limited menu for her. Maybe for Father's Day. :D

I'm leaning towards the Galvez simply because DW wanted to stay there after seeing it on The Little Couple. Unfortunately, it's a 2-night requirement at ~$300/night, I guess due to Cinco De Mayo.

I'm thinking if I can get a 10:30 reservation at the Galvez, we can be out of there by 11:15, to Hobby by 12:15. That gives us 2 hours minutes to drop the car and make our way though the airport. AVIS is offsite, but they say "allow 5 minutes" for the bus ride. Seem reasonable?

Thanks again. Google is great but it can't give this sort of knowledge. :D

We were there yesterday.

Brunch starts prompty at 11am.

Nothing is served prior to that as they are setting up. We arrived early to meet family, not seated until 11am. And you need more than 45 minutes, lots of people food and lines.

You can have the 'menu" breakfast prior to the brunch in Bernardo's. Though they may not offer it due to the sell out they have for Mother's Day.

I strongly suggest Garten Verein as it starts at 10am.

We were there yesterday.

Brunch starts prompty at 11am.

Nothing is served prior to that as they are setting up. We arrived early to meet family, not seated until 11am. And you need more than 45 minutes, lots of people food and lines.

You can have the 'menu" breakfast prior to the brunch in Bernardo's. Though they may not offer it due to the sell out they have for Mother's Day.

I strongly suggest Garten Verein as it starts at 10am.

I'm sure you're right normally, but the event information indicates that seatings begin at 10:30: http://www.bernardosathotelgalvez.com/events.php

I suspect that they want to make more money on Mother's Day. :D

I'm shying away from the Garten Verein because there is no information on the food, and we'd be paying for a tour that we won't use. In general, the MD event seems like an after-thought: I had to go to the calendar to find the info... and that focuses mostly on the tour. Do you have a better link?

http://www.galvestonhistory.org/Calendar_of_Events.asp#/?i=1

Thanks,

Mike

I would call the Historical Foundation; they should be able to provide you with the menu.

We live in Galveston and frequent the Galvez brunch. We have been there for almost every major holiday including Mother's day and non event Sundays. It is always crowded and, even with reservations, there is a wait.

It is a fabulous brunch, but I don't want you to be disappointed as it is not a quick in and out way to eat.

Archived