Tell me about the Steak House

We're on the Freedom in June and are considering the Steak House. I've looked at the menu, and it sounds good :)

My question is you only get to pick one option from each area (appetizer, salad, entree, dessert ), correct? That's how I read it online, just wanted to make sure.

Was it worth the extra 30/pp? If you sign up for the first night before getting on board, do you still get the free bottle of wine?

We consider it well worth the price and eat there on every cruise. I've never tried to order more than one of anything (there would be an additional charge for more than one entree) and have never been able to finish my meal there--one of each course is a lot of food!

I don't know about the wine--we haven't eaten there the first night.

If you select the photo link for the June 2011 cruise in my signature, you'll see photos of our meal at the steakhouse on the Spirit.

Enjoy!

We weren't gonna go to the Steakhouse on our first cruise with CCL and then we simply went to take pictures of it the day we were in Jamaica and decided on a whim to have dinner there that evening, soooooo glad we did!!!! Absolutely delicious! Now we make it a point to go whenever there is a steakhouse on the ship we are sailing on! I would recommend going at least once, we feel it is totally worth the $30 pp!! Yum can't wait til May 21st lol! :D

Definitely worth the $30 PP. You can usually ask for an extra appetizer, but you can only get one entree. It's plenty of food, and we can't ever finish it all. The food is top notch, and the atmosphere is fantastic. Everyone should try the steakhouse at least once.

It is DEFINITELY a lot of food to eat at one sitting. We usually have a very light lunch the day that we are going to the steakhouse, and try not to load up on the bread that they offer you.

You will get an amuse buchet (a little surprise from the Steakhouse Executive Chef to start off the meal), which is always something really delicious. You are allowed to have as many appetizers as you want (we usually split a caesar salad, I get the escargot, and my husband usually gets the crab cake), one entree each (we split the lobster tail and porterhouse/ribeye as you get more beef that way, as opposed to the small portion that they serve with their version of the surf & turf), and dessert for me is always the chocolate sampler - four shot glasses filled with incredible chocolate delights such as tiramisu and chocolate mousse.

The dinner usually takes around three hours from start to finish, and is well worth the $30.00 upcharge. We try to go whenever we are on a ship that has one, and each meal has been nothing short of spectacular.

Try it - you will NOT be disappointed!

It's so worth it we did it twice on the Magic. There is plenty of seating on the first night so if you decide once you get on the ship you want to do it there shouldn't be a problem. You get a free bottle of red or white wine. It's not the greatest wine but hey.....its free :). We only drank half and they will give you the bottle to take back to your room.

You will get an amuse buchet (a little surprise from the Steakhouse Executive Chef to start off the meal), which is always something really delicious.

Well, perhaps not always...

Once I was given (GET THIS) horseradish ice cream. It did not sound like something I would like: I love horseradish - we actually bring our own on the ship and I love ice cream, but these are two "great tastes" which should NOT go together! :eek:

1142528018_TaWi7-L.jpg

My FAVORITE was this little gem:

1107857635_8M656-L.jpg

... the cutest little one bite RARE prime burger bite!!! I enjoyed it so that on a couple of occasions the chef has been kind enough to make an entree version!! Though, I must admit, it was never as EYE ROLLING as this one!

Tom

We're on the Freedom in June and are considering the Steak House. I've looked at the menu, and it sounds good

My question is you only get to pick one option from each area (appetizer, salad, entree, dessert ), correct? That's how I read it online, just wanted to make sure.

Was it worth the extra 30/pp? If you sign up for the first night before getting on board, do you still get the free bottle of wine?

Is it worth it? Yes, although often the free alternatives are usually pretty good, too!

Just one from each, although sometimes you can get two starters and skip the salad.

DSC_6604.JPG

DSC_6607.JPG

DSC_6608.JPG

DSC_6611.JPG

DSC_6612.JPG

DSC_6615.JPG

It's so worth it we did it twice on the Magic. There is plenty of seating on the first night so if you decide once you get on the ship you want to do it there shouldn't be a problem. You get a free bottle of red or white wine. It's not the greatest wine but hey.....its free :). We only drank half and they will give you the bottle to take back to your room.

Yep - the free wine is a first night perk, though they don't always remember to offer it!!

Tom

We went to the steakhouse on the Freedom and absolutely worth the $30 pp. Everything was delicious and the service is excellent. I don't know if the tip is included but we always give extra at the specialty restaurants since the service and food is superior. We have been on Freedom 2X and soon will be on the Magic and Breeze and hope the steakhouse is as good as the Freedom. :)

We just got off the Liberty this past Saturday.

Here are a few photo's and I'll critique as I go.

Diamonds Steakhouse.

url]

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=231063&stc=1&d=1335144692

Here we are at our table. The dining room was very pretty and the table settings were beautiful.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=231064&stc=1&d=1335144828

A photo of the menu that was available.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=231066&stc=1&d=1335145003

My app. It was a shrimp cocktail. It was very good.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=231068&stc=1&d=1335145116

My Caesar salad. The lettuce was great, the croutons were great, but the dressing had no taste. Very bland, even with the pepper. So, out of 5 stars I give it a * * .

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=231069&stc=1&d=1335145380

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=231070&stc=1&d=1335145380

I ordered the New York Strip Steak with baked potato. I thought the steak was very good. Not the best I had ever had, but very good. I give it ****.

The baked potato ensemble was very good also. *****.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=231071&stc=1&d=1335145681

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=231072&stc=1&d=1335145681

Here are the desserts we ordered. I ordered the chocolate sampler. I rate it and *. There was only one of the glasses of dessert that I liked. One of the glasses I had to actually choke down. Very bad.

My husband ordered the apple thing. He didn't eat 1/3 of it. He said it was very bad also.

So, My thoughts on the steakhouse. I'm glad we did it, and will do it again. The servers were nice and knowledgeable and took photo's for the guests. There was no entertainment, which I thought there would be. I still enjoyed the dinner and most of the food was very good. In defense of the desserts, only the warm melting chocolate cake was good during the entire cruise. Someone needs to teach these chefs how to make a NY cheesecake and an apple pie. But the food in the MDR was Stellar, and that was a huge surprise.

Hope this helps.

IMG_3912.jpg.ce2a63f8bf7229f81b4b2b552bcc4b94.jpg

IMG_3914.jpg.c01a86b759772fce6810c298ef76d04d.jpg

IMG_3919.jpg.341008e3bf74ef7ce2f657b6ca29e834.jpg

IMG_3921.jpg.9d4f1db490fd461040cba39f75e486a8.jpg

... Someone needs to teach these chefs how to make a NY cheesecake and an apple pie...

I know what you mean! Even the (large and impressive looking) cheesecake in the Steakhouse is just so-so in my opinion.

The best desserts are those you pay extra for!

Tom

Was it worth the extra 30/pp?

I would rather they just serve the steak without all the amateur fanfare and in the MDR. Its a $15 dollar steak at best. You are paying extra for the fancy apps and ambiance. I guess for $30 including the tip its a good deal but not all its hyped up to be IMHO

Seeing as they buy in massive quantities and pay the staff well below USA wages, I would say the same steak in the MDR should sell for $10-12 tops. Hell I would go $20 if they had a porterhouse. BUT Most people go for the fanciness of it all so its worth $30 to most folks.

Also they have no porterhouse. A steakhouse without a porterhouse on the menu? They also refused to cook my steak medium rare.

Anyway, I may have gone on an off day and will try again just in case and the food was still much better than the stuff in the MDR.. I think you should try it as well.

I didnt think so. I would rather they just serve the steak without all the amateur fanfare and in the MDR. Its a $15 dollar steak at best. You are paying extra for the fancy apps and ambiance.

Seeing as they buy in massive quantities and pay the staff well below USA wages, I would say the same steak in the MDR should sell for $10-12 tops.

Also they have no porterhouse. A steakhouse without porterhouse?

Anyway, I may have gone on an off day and will try again just in case and the food was much better then the stuff in the MDR.. I think you should try it as well.

Such a shame about the porterhouse, isn't it?. We were going to get it next time because DH ribeye was not all that great.

He prefers a big STEAK to a nice little piece of filet (which is my preference).

His ribeye

bermudacruise165.jpg

Archived