It has to be said. formal wear/informal

Why are people making comments like 'oh.. those people on the budget 5 day cruises THOSE PEOPLE are not expected to dress formal in the MDR, it is a BUDGET cruise?' OKAY? First.. I don’t care what anyone wears as long as carnival doesn’t. BUT, we can not assume that people with less money don’t understand what formal wear looks like. I have been in different social classes throughout my life. When I was very young, I was very poor. But my mother dressed us appropriately. When we went to church, we looked like we were going to church. When we went to the state fair, we looked like we went to the state fair. I’m pretty sure if you can afford a cruise, you can afford to go to a consignment shop and buy some clothes that are fitting into the mdr attire requirements.Now that i do have a little bit of money, its still the same thing.

Bottom line: it’s not the class of people, its what they feel comfortable wearing, and how willing they are to put forth the effort it takes to dress formal.

I don’t care either way, (as long as it’s not a bath robe, lol) but I don’t think it has to do with the money they have or don’t have. or how smart they are.

I agree with what you are saying about complaining about how what people wear, it bothers me not one iota. I am wondering however why people assume everyone who is on a 5 day cruise is doing so because that is all they can afford. I am leaving soon on a four day, and it has nothing to do with not being able to afford a longer cruise, but everything to do with how long my daughter (who is going with me) can be away from her job. I'm sure many people are in that same predicament, so just sort of unfair assuming it is because of the cost. We are looking for a quick get away from our stressful lives and this cruise fits that to a tee.

I also learned a long time ago that money has nothing to do with taste...some of the biggest slobs I know have either no fashion sense or just really don't care what they wear, but have plenty of money to do buy things I would never be able to afford. Just my observation :D, not trying to start anything here.

Not everyone who goes on a 5-day cruise is on a budget , some people can't take off 7-8 days for a vacation. Also- sometimes being on a budget does affect your clothing- if your struggling with money , sometimes your last thought is how formal or expensive your clothing is. Like PP said-some people with money dress like crap too. A lot of times its about the person , but how much money they have.I also don't care about what others wear- they can wear what they want and ill wear what I want :)

i hate dressing up.. especially on vacation.. im getting married in less than 3 weeks my soon to be wife knew better than to ask me to wear a tux.. its just.not me! so if i have to dress up to eat dinner every night no thank you ill cruise on another line or eat in the buffet/ sports bar

We have been on 3, 4, 5, 7, and 8 day cruises. The majority have been 5 days since we like to mix a little land vacation in with the cruise and that is usually what fits best into our schedule. It has nothing to do with our budget. Ditto goes with how we dress on elegant night. I have a ton of long formal dresses hanging in my closet and DH has a suit hanging in his. If we bring them or not depends on how dressy we want to be for our pictures...it has nothing to do with our budget either.

Why are people making comments like 'oh.. those people on the budget 5 day cruises THOSE PEOPLE are not expected to dress formal in the MDR, it is a BUDGET cruise?' OKAY? First.. I don’t care what anyone wears as long as carnival doesn’t. BUT, we can not assume that people with less money don’t understand what formal wear looks like. I have been in different social classes throughout my life. When I was very young, I was very poor. But my mother dressed us appropriately. When we went to church, we looked like we were going to church. When we went to the state fair, we looked like we went to the state fair. I’m pretty sure if you can afford a cruise, you can afford to go to a consignment shop and buy some clothes that are fitting into the mdr attire requirements.Now that i do have a little bit of money, its still the same thing.

Bottom line: it’s not the class of people, its what they feel comfortable wearing, and how willing they are to put forth the effort it takes to dress formal.

I don’t care either way, (as long as it’s not a bath robe, lol) but I don’t think it has to do with the money they have or don’t have. or how smart they are.

Im on these boards OFTEN and I have never heard this. Hmmm

Our first cruise is a 5 day cruise. We wanted a nice itinerary and a short trip to make sure we would even like cruising. Honestly, I didn't want to spend twice the money on something and then regret it because it wasn't us. I've read good reviews about the fascination and HMC so that's what we chose. It had nothing to do with what we could afford, that's ridiculous and irritating that people would be shallow enough to judge people by the days of their vacations. We are even staying in an oceanview cabin on the main deck, ack!! The nerve of me not to waste our money on something more!

I do know we will be a great time because I have a great husband and children and we will make the best of everything during our trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok. Well, I might get in trouble for saying this, but seriously??????, you are on VACATION!!! Dressing up for me is a CHORE when I am home, let alone on vacation. Just off the Pride today, and yes, we did go to the first " Cruise Elegant" night, but the second one.......NOT. And even on the non-formal nights, you saw it all......tank tops, flip flops, etc. Nobody cared. People are there to eat and not scrutinize what other people are wearing.:rolleyes: Obviously, some people DO get offended, but does it REALLY matter? If you love to dress up to the HILT, then by all means, DO it, but don't criticize those who don't.

Just adding a perspective here: I wear fire retardant nomex overalls and steeled toed boots as a requirement where I work 12 hr. shifts. I am on my feet in those steel toed boots on concrete floors everyday. To say my daily wear is "uncomfortable" is an understatement.

With that said, I am looking to be "as comfortable as possible" during the upcoming cruise. Quite frankly, I don't want to wear dress shoes and a suit on a vacation, even for just an evening. Yes I dress very neat, clean, and coordinated, but in a comfortable style of casual clothing.

Just adding a perspective here: I wear fire retardant nomex overalls and steeled toed boots as a requirement where I work 12 hr. shifts. I am on my feet in those steel toed boots on concrete floors everyday. To say my daily wear is "uncomfortable" is an understatement.

With that said, I am looking to be "as comfortable as possible" during the upcoming cruise. Quite frankly, I don't want to wear dress shoes and a suit on a vacation, even for just an evening. Yes I dress very neat, clean, and coordinated, but in a comfortable style of casual clothing.

I hear you!!!! I am a Buyer/Planner in a factory, and I also have to wear steel toed shoes all day!!! My poor feet didn't know what to do this past week....lol...they were in FLIP FLOPS all week!!!:D:D Hey...we're on vacation and I don't want to dress up, but, nor, do I want to miss the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake...It was like an orgasm on a plate. 'Nuff said....:rolleyes:

Don't hate me :rolleyes: but I love to see people dress for dinner on cruises.

I will never forget one of our cruises. Near our table was a family, grandma, grandpa, mother, father and four small children. Every night they were all dressed up to a T. The little kids looked so cute. The little girls dressed in cute dresses and bows in their hair. The youngest was a small boy who had a cute outfit and a bow tie. Every night everyone couldn't wait for them to come to the dinning room to see what they were wearing. The children were well behaved and you could tell they were used to dressing up. It made you feel good just seeing them. We could tell the other cruisers felt the same way.

Then there was a cruise where there was a middle age man that wore jeans and ball cap every night, yes even on elegant night. He looked so out of place.

I don't think you have to be rich to dress for certain things, I think it is the way you were raised.

It does not matter how you dress for dinner, if I don't like it I can look away :D

I hear you!!!! I am a Buyer/Planner in a factory, and I also have to wear steel toed shoes all day!!! My poor feet didn't know what to do this past week....lol...they were in FLIP FLOPS all week!!!:D:D Hey...we're on vacation and I don't want to dress up, but, nor, do I want to miss the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake...It was like an orgasm on a plate. 'Nuff said....:rolleyes:

I wear steel toed boots while working out on the flightline, not to mention either itchy-hot overalls or itchy-hot ABU's (airmen battle Uniform).Now to add some icing to the I am wearing that in the desert!

Despite that though, I enjoy wearing my dress blues, or just dressing up and looking nice in general. It may have to do with what my parents brought me up. For regular dinner I am happy to wear a collared shirt (mainly a polo) and Khakis. I especially enjoy dressing up for the formal nights, whether it is a suit or probably even my blues. I don't just do it for myself, I know other people appreciate seeing people dressed up nice, and usually like to be in the company of nicer dressed folk.:rolleyes:

I don't care what other people wear myself. If you want to go comfortable, got for it. If you want to dress up nice, great! If you are like me and may make an appearance in your uniform (Military, police, firefighter, etc...) go for it! I know which group I'll take my photos with!:cool:

NOW there is comfy, and there is trashy...but again, different people have different opinions on what trashy is. My comfy is far from my opinion of trashy; non-torn non profane t-shirt, and khaki cargo shorts with either "fasion" tears or no tears and all. You still wont see me wear that in the dining room at dinner, but that is just me.

It is YOUR vacation, dress comfortably if you wish, doesn't bother me! And if you dress "trashy" whatever, everyone is entitled to be at thier comfort level. I'll still have a beer with you either way!:o

Edit: t-shirt, shorts, flip flops, NOT TRASHY...Bikini top/wife beater (white tank top under shirt for those that don't know that term), cut-offs/bikini bottom, ratty shoes/sandals/boots/flipflops=TRASHY <---Applies to MDR, what you wear the rest of the day on the rest of the ship doesn't count.

I agree that there is nothing wrong in a 5-day cruise. You are not cheap. Once my DH and myself flew to Las Vegas for a 3-day weekend. Boy you should have heard what some of our relatives said, "Why aren't you going for a week, you are only going on vacation for 3 days, not a week"? Yeah, right. It wasn't like we were going on a 1-2 week vacation. We have done Vegas for a week many times, but this time we did the 3-day weekend.

As far as the clothes, I am lucky to be able to afford to buy very nice name brand clothes and I do, but you better believe it is the more casual type of clothes. I don't really like to get dress up in a long gown. I am happiest when I can go somewhere casual. If I chose to wear a more casual attire in the MDR, you can't say that I am cheap, because I would bet my casual attire cost more than that sparkly long gown.

..................and yes, my DH will probably bring his Suit and me a nice dress for elegant night, but we would be happier casual. That's us. :):eek::p

I forgot to put this on my last post, but just today I had a SISTER call and say, "Why don't you go on another cruise ship than Carnival. That's a cheap ship, you should go on Royal Caribbean." I told her that I like the Carnival ships and I will go on them. I don't want to fly to a port (I live 25 minutes from the port in New Orleans) and if I wanted to fly somewhere, I would do a land vacation. Needless to say, sister was asked to come along with 2 other sisters and they could have shared a cabin, but this sister declined because she didn't want to pay the price. YOU GOT THAT! Now I sound like Victor Newman on The Young and the Restless. She is putting my Cruise Ship down because she thinks it is a cheap cruise, but yet, she doesn't want to pay the price to share a cabin with 3. She has yet to cruise period. I had to vent. :p:eek:

i'm the same, i don't care what others wear, but do agree that in the dining room they should dress "appropriately". no bathing suits, bathrobes. things like that. Yes, it's elegant night and I CHOOSE to want to dress up as i don't have the opportunity at home to do it as i'm working and lack of funds to go to special functions lol . the other nights, i wear slacks or a suntype dress. thats my choice. if others don't want the added expense, the extra luggage space to bring something "formal" then thats fine. I don't care. dress how you want. I just think they should follow the guidelines for elegant night as to no cutoffs, etc

Class has nothing to do with income. I was raised "poor but proud" and my parents taught me (both explicitly and by example) how to dress and behave and treat everyone with respect and kindness. Most of the clothes I wore were hand-me-downs, but I was expected to be clean and well-groomed and, most of all, to be kind and courteous to everyone. To this day, my mother is one of the classiest people I know.

BTW the most boorish person I ever encountered on a cruise (I shared the story on the recent tablemates thread) was impeccably dressed every night.

Why do 5 day cruisers have to be put down at all?

We do 5 day because any longer than that and I am ready to sleep in my own bed.

I also don't feel comfortable leaving the house or cat alone longer than that.

Sent from Tapa-Talk. Please forgive my brevity and lack of punctuation.

Archived