Splendor Wait times

SuperTrooper00

We are considering booking the Splendor out of Long beach, and one of the biggest question marks we have is the wait times I keep reading about in the reviews. For those that have sailed the Splendor, could you please comment about any crowds or waiting you experienced in these different spots:

- Embarkation (keep reading awful stories)

- Debarkation (same as above)

- Dining Room

- Lido Buffet

- Deck Chairs (did you wait for any)

- Water Slides

- Tender Lines

Thanks in advance for your replies...

Hey it has been a few years but from what I remember.

Embarkation- was not that bad, we were in a little bit of a line but many people were there to assist. The time seemed to fly by.

Debarkation- we waited a little bit longer to get off. They did get people divided by if you had passports when we got off at that time. It helped it go by a little easier.

Dining room- at the time we had late dining, staff seemed rather fast.

buffet- I think this may have been the longest we waited for anything. still not horrible.

Deck chairs- we always caught chairs on level higher decks and there were plenty.

Water slide- never got on the slide so I don't know, sorry

tender lines- at the time we went later in the day so it wasn't so bad. sorry I can't be too specific.

all of this was in september of 2009. we are going again this september, I hope this could help you a bit.

It's been awhile since I boarded the Splendor but have been on the Paradise and Inspiration many times in Long Beach. Didn't have any tender ports- Astoria, Victoria, Vancouver.

The bottleneck is getting into the Dome and thru the 2 security scanners. Some tricks-

-Early checkin is at 9:30 in front of the Dome. (The parking lot will charge you the extra time at debark if you leave after the time you arrived. Also be prepared to hassle with people leaving the previous cruise if you arrive early.)

-Try to get there before a transfer bus comes in, If you see one arriving, run.:p Otherwise that's another 72 people in front of you.

-At the Dome entrance the right hand line is also used for Platinum and Suite passengers. They are told to go to the front of the this line and the one at right hand security scanner.

Once past security the line does move fast. There are 20+windows. The wheelchair window seems to be slower.

-If you want to avoid a embarkation pix, take the elevator. It can be hard to bypass this otherwise.

-Sometimes arriving after 1 will result in no lines.

Debarkation was the same on the Splendor and the other ships.

Sometimes Long Beach just waves you through and other times it is the full check. Worse time was when we hit Crew Immigration Check.

Sometimes the lines are divided between Passport Holders and BC holders, sometimes everyone is mixed together.

We've been on the Splendor twice and will be cruising on her again in September. I don't remember any waiting time problems on the ship other than the usual most popular areas of the Lido buffet at peak times (i.e., mongolian wok), but that's on every ship. We've cruised from Long Beach several times and going thru customs at debarkation can be a pain, there are only a few desks just inside the ship side of the dome and sometimes they ask each person several questions, but at other times, there are no agents there and you just walk thru and someone collects your forms at the other end, done. Embarkation might be a bit tougher than other ports because the waiting area is outside, but on the other hand there are lots of things to walk around and see and do while you wait, the ship is right there, there are fisherman along the shore, shops, the Queen Mary, etc., it depends on the time you get there, we always arrive early, do the early check-in, wait and/or walk around a bit with just our carry-on having given the checked luggage to the porters, then soon, they start calling the zone numbers and since we're checked in, right in thru security, past the inside check-in desks, sneak past the embarkation pic, up the escalator and on to the ship, easy. Tendering is done like any other ship, first off is Carnival excursions, then folks who have gotten a tender sticker, then open access, with all the Platinums mixed in (which we are now, so some of these are non-issues for us). We have not had any particular dining room problems on the Splendor, you can get great wait staff on any ship and sometimes not so great, it's not special on the Splendor. I wouldn't worry about any of this if I were you, have a great cruise!

We are considering booking the Splendor out of Long beach, and one of the biggest question marks we have is the wait times I keep reading about in the reviews. For those that have sailed the Splendor, could you please comment about any crowds or waiting you experienced in these different spots:

My experiences on 2 previous cruises (leaving next Sunday on #3)

VIP boarding around 12:00 all others quickly after. Didn't seem to be any long lines.

I thought SUPER SMOOTH, air flights and passports, and self-debark first, then the rest by colors. All off usually by 10:30 at the latest.

- Dining Room

No lines MDR unless waiting before doors open.:rolleyes:After that very orderly and I didn't see any long wait. Used YTD on last cruise with no waiting, but once for 15-20 minutes.

- Lido Buffet

I have breakfast early, no lines. Lunch varied from time to time. Just returned when lines were short.

Never sit by the pools. Deck 10 above Aft Lido Pool always a table and chair available.

- Water Slides

Sorry, can't comment.

- Tender Lines

Always go late and PLATINUM so go to head of the line.

In total, the SPLENDOR is one of the least crowded ships I've ever been on, save the Spirit Class ships. I thought it was terrific. Hope this is some help. :)

What is the latest you can board the ship in Long Beach?

Latest you can board is 1.5 hours before before departure time.

When Mom & I was last on the Splendor in Dec., the longest lines was always at the buffet at breakfast and lunch. After the 2nd morning trying to fight the crowds at the buffet, we ate at the MDR every morning after that. At lunch, I either ate in the MDR or at the Indian bar because there was hardly any lines.

Also, at embarkation, there might be a long line for the embarkation picture. If you don't want to get an embarkation picture, there is an elevator just after the check in area. It is on the right side across from the escalator and on the same side of the picture taking area. Since most people don't know about the elevator, there usually isn't a line.

-At the Dome entrance the right hand line is also used for Platinum and Suite passengers. They are told to go to the front of the this line and the one at right hand security scanner.

In December, they put the Platinum & VIP into whatever the shortest line was at the time. There was no special line for them to use.:mad:

- Dining Room

- Lido Buffet

- Water Slides

- Tender Lines

I would book the Splendor out of LB again, in a second. Other than the slide(too old for that:D) and we had assigned seating for dinner but never saw too many long lines when we were going in and out -horror stories and making a big deal of pink, people over-react-it was so wonderful, we booked the second leg of the South American cruise on the Splendor when we were still on the Splendor on Feb., 2012. Go for it!!

2/27/11 we were on the Splendor. I heard there was some customs issue that day and all crew had to go through. There were still passengers getting off after 1pm. We stood outside from about 10:30 until finally 2:30 when we began embarkation. We had zone 6 and there was a huge line of people as far as we could see off in the distance.

Once we got on everything was wonderful. Even though we had this wait, I would cruise her again......

If we did this cruise, we would actually not get to the port until about 2:00pm which is the latest we have ever arrived at a port. Would the embarkation be easier then? What is the latest you can board the ship in Long Beach?

Anyone know how the embarkation lines would be after 2pm?

Embarcation would definitely be easier after 2:00 pm, but that would be pushing it to plan it that way. I don't know where you're coming from, or why you "would not get to the port until 2:00 pm", but unless you have a little time allotted for an EMERGENCY ENROUTE to the port, you may be out of luck.

I'm not sure about late arrivals, but the general consensus is they don't embark passengers after 3:00 pm. I will gladly stand corrected, however.

The bottleneck is getting into the Dome and thru the 2 security scanners. Some tricks-

-Early checkin is at 9:30 in front of the Dome. (The parking lot will charge you the extra time at debark if you leave after the time you arrived. Also be prepared to hassle with people leaving the previous cruise if you arrive early.)

-If you want to avoid a embarkation pix, take the elevator. It can be hard to bypass this otherwise.

-Sometimes arriving after 1 will result in no lines.

Debarkation was the same on the Splendor and the other ships.

Sometimes Long Beach just waves you through and other times it is the full check. Worse time was when we hit Crew Immigration Check.

Sometimes the lines are divided between Passport Holders and BC holders, sometimes everyone is mixed together.

Very Accurate and just as I've experienced it many times at Long Beach.:D

Embarcation would definitely be easier after 2:00 pm, but that would be pushing it to plan it that way. I don't know where you're coming from, or why you "would not get to the port until 2:00 pm", but unless you have a little time allotted for an EMERGENCY ENROUTE to the port, you may be out of luck.

I'm not sure about late arrivals, but the general consensus is they don't embark passengers after 3:00 pm. I will gladly stand corrected, however.

The day we would book the cruise, I have an appointment and could not leave until noon. We would be leaving from San Diego, which is 1.5-2 hours drive.

The day we would book the cruise, I have an appointment and could not leave until noon. We would be leaving from San Diego, which is 1.5-2 hours drive.

I would try and get that "leave" time changed, but if you can't, I wish you all the luck and no car or traffic troubles. Otherwise, be prepared to fly to Cabo. :D

I actually walked into the Long Beach terminal as the Splendor sounded the horn for muster last December. I was nicely surprised when they let me board. I don't advise going that late. A little too stressfull :eek:

Enjoy

Ron

Archived