The Amazon

Ruthie2

We are thinking of taking the 25 day cruise next November on the Regatta that goes up the Amazon River to Manaus. We would be on the Amazon River for 8 days. Has anyone done this cruise and what was your opinion of it? I read one review and that person was bored!

As well, to save money we thought we would take an inside room, something we have never done. I am concerned that 25 days in an inside room might be too long. Any thoughts on this?

We took that cruise in March/April 2011. We were in a PH3 on Regatta, the ship and crew were super and the food was fabulous. We loved every minute of the cruise especially the Amazon. Be sure and take one of the local canoe rides from the small village stop. The only disappointment was we had to skip Devils Island due to rough seas. Have no opinion about the inside cabin.

One of my neighbors complained about her recent trip of Europe: "Once you see one cathedral and one castle, you've seen them all." Maybe she wrote the report on the boring Amazon. ;-) It's only boring if you are not interested in the nature, culture, and history of the area. However, you will not see a lot of birds by just cruising by.

We enjoyed our balcony on this cruise. There is a very comfortable outdoor sitting area near the pool, but I felt it was not the same since it is protected by a glass enclosure on the water side. Great in windy weather, hot in still air. If you are an indoor-airconditioning person, by all means, use the high-up Horizons bar with its phantastic views.

I concur with the previous poster on the fabulous food and super crew on the Regatta. It spoiled me for other lines. During my recent Princess cruises, I kept on boring people with stories from the "Regatta". ;-)

Enjoyed the Amazon last year on Azamara Journey. Spent seven days crossing the Caribbean and seven getting to Manaus. Very interesting itinerary and never bored, but I wouldn't have wanted to make the 900 mile journey back down river from Manaus to the ocean. As they say "Been there. Done that". But this is a cruise not to be missed.

I have to agree with Balloon Man, Manaus is the highlight of this itinerary and it does take along time to get there. Also, North American Winter is their Summer, of course, and river levels tend to be lower which sometimes means that many excursions are not possible. I also have to agree that this is a "once in a lifetime" itinerary, that is, having done it, I wouldn't care to repeat it, but I am glad to have seen it once.

Going back was just as interesting as going to Manaus since the stops were all different, different Caribbean islands as well.

I now want to go to the upper part of the Amazon basin to be more intensively immersed in the jungle.

The scenery is different from any other cruise we have been on and it is an amazing river. Bored? agree with above, depends on you and your interests. There were the biggest bugs I have ever seen, fascinating. Inside cabin for 25 days? Have you been in one before at all? I wouldn't do it, but only you know how you feel about that. I need to know the world is still out there when I wake up, but that is me.

Like the others, we would pobably never do it again, but it was well worth it. We also thought Devil's Island was one of the highlights. The visit to the Indian village (Boca del Varerio) was fascinating, and the Boi Bumba show in Parintins is spectactular.

Yes, the river portion of the voyage is not what most folks picture about the Amazon. Yes, there is a sameness to the landscape -- low, green hills, VERY wide river making the shores some distance away, only occasional villages to break the sameness. Still, it's fascinating watching for those variations, spotting the pink dolphins, seeing the other river traffic. However, I would definitely recommend a veranda. This is one of those once-in-a-lifetime, bucket list voyages, and you would miss a lot if you couldn't sit on your balcony, watching one shore on the way up the river and the other on the way down. Be sure to bring your binoculars.

Hondorner-I had forgotten about Devil's Island, I did enjoy that stop as well, I have heard that sometimes, due to rough seas many ships are unable to stop there which is a shame...it does require some hill climbing however.

At the time, we commented that an Amazon cruise smelled a good deal like summer camp.....lots of woodsmoke and Deep Woods Off.

We did this cruise with another couple 5 years ago with Oceania, and enjoyed it greatly. One of the best cruises we ever did. We enjoyed it so much that the other couple, us, and three additional couples will be doing this cruise again November 2013.

Archived