new to cruising

weav02

I am trying to figure out what is the best excursions for the Western caribbean Mariner of the Seas for November sailings? can anyone help? also should I go through the boat or find someone on the outside to save some money. your help is greatly appreciated, this is all new to us. :)

Ask on RCCL board here. But to answer as much as possible if you are going to Grand Cayman take the tour from the island, Native Ways, Capt Marvin etc (they will ensure you get back in plenty of time for your ship). Go to Port of Call board for each port. For a first timer if you are only there for 5 hrs I would recomend you take the ship's tour as you are gty that they will wait for you. If you go on your own and you hit a snag/flat/late back the ship could sail without you. In Jamica, I use Pete Taylor, he will take you to Dunn's River Falls and anywhere else that insterests you. He will make sure you get back to the ship on time.The Haiti stop is their private island so the only tours or things to do is run by the ship.

Also check out the roll call board as meet your fellow pax in advance. They will have info too. Have fun on your first cruise and welcome.

We just got back from the western and booked all our tours ourselves. We booked the Buccaneer in Grand Cayman and had a marvelous time at Sting Ray City. In Cozumel we went sailing, snorkeling and snubaing on the Zorro and had the best snorkeling experience ever. Like snorkeling in an aquarium.

I would highly recommend these two private companies. They will get you back in time.

There have been times that we have booked throught the ship, but those have been for ones offered only by the ships or when the window for the excursion is to "tight" for our happiness. I would not take a 7 hour private excursion to some ruins. I would take the ship's. Sting ray city? would take a private one every time.

Enjoy the research!

Michelle

We went with RCCL on Navigator of the Seas May 2003, on their private island of Labadee we parasailed. In Ocho Rios, we climed the Dunn River Falls, in Grand Cayman we did the tour of Hell, the turtle farm and some shopping, and in Cozumel we did the alantis submarine. What a great time we had on all of the excursions. This was our first cruise too and it was just GREEAT. You will have a good time

sherrie

Navigator of the Seas 05/03/03

Mariner of the SEas 11/27/05

I am trying to figure out what is the best excursions for the Western caribbean . :)

The "Best" excursions are the ones you will enjoy the most. They will be different for everybody.

As CaptData pointed out if you book through the ship, the ship will wait if you're late. If you book on your own, the ship will not wait, so be on time. When looking at price, think about how much that peace of mind means to you.

This was apparently just an issue for Princess & Carnival a week or so ago. There was a horribel mud slide & roads were closed. All sorts of people were several hours lates getting back but b/c they booked with Princess, the ship waited.

I've booked through the cruise line & with independnet contractors. I also have just gotten off & explored. I'm pretty risk tolerant & responsible to get back on time so I don't mind doing it myself. However, if the time will be a close call -- i.e. tour ends at 4:30 & the ship sails at 5, I'll go with the cruise line just in case.

Archived