Carlisle Bay Beach Report – Apr. 20, 2012 -- turtles & shipwrecks!!

Mary Ellen1

Carlisle Bay Beach Report – Apr. 20, 2012

Based on reports on this board, we decided to head to Carlisle Bay Beach last Friday, while in Barbados for the day on the Caribbean Princess. What a fabulous day! Taxis were $5 per person, each way. We headed to Copacabana, where $15/couple got you two chairs, 1 umbrella and 1 drink. We were given little purple wrist-bands. :) Copacabana was great – super-clean, sparkly bathrooms, even a shower.

There were several vendors walking up & down the beach selling things. (They weren’t obnoxious or aggressive, though, & easily took “no” for an answer.) One lady came along with dresses, another guy with bird-feeders carved from coconuts, carved into the shape of a bird. Very cute! And a guy offering jet-ski rides. But the best was two different guys who offered to take us snorkeling out to the turtles and the ship-wrecks in their boats. Guy #1 offered a price of $25, and we were getting ready to go with him when Guy #2 came along offering the same trip for only $20, complete with a glass-bottom boat. SOLD! Guy #1 was pretty upset that we backed out on him, but hey…

Funny thing about that glass-bottom boat – that was the detail that sold us on Guy #2, but it turned out his boat was not glass-bottomed, as promised. Oh well – the price was right, we swam/snorkeled with 3-4 turtles & snorkeled over 2 ship-wrecks. It was great! My brother & his wife stayed a little longer than the rest of us, had lunch, then walked back to the ship around 3pm. The other four of us took a cab back around 1:30 or so.

This was a fabulous day, and so easy! Thanks to those who posted detailed reviews here. Based on that information, I knew exactly where to go & what to expect. :D

We were planning on taking the public bus to Copacabana and then going on to Rockley Beach to see pink sand. If the cab is only $5 per person( there's only 2 of us) to Copacabana that's what we will do. Then hop the bus to Rockley for a bit. Returning to port on the bus. Did you have to haggle for that price? Is there a place to buy 6 cold beers along the way? I always bring a cooler with ice from the ship.

Are the wrecks closes enough to snorkel to or the boat a must to see wrecks and turtles?

We were planning on taking the public bus to Copacabana and then going on to Rockley Beach to see pink sand. If the cab is only $5 per person( there's only 2 of us) to Copacabana that's what we will do. Then hop the bus to Rockley for a bit. Returning to port on the bus. Did you have to haggle for that price? Is there a place to buy 6 cold beers along the way? I always bring a cooler with ice from the ship.

Are the wrecks closes enough to snorkel to or the boat a must to see wrecks and turtles?

We didn't haggle on the price. Don't know if that is the norm there.

Don't know about where to buy beer, but seeing as we drove through town on our way to the beach, I'm sure your taxi driver would know where to stop so you could pick up some beverages.

I personally thought the wrecks were too far out, in deep water, with a rather strong current, to feel comfortable swimming out there from the beach. But when we were snorkeling with the turtles (a bit closer to shore), there were 2 guys there who'd swum out from shore. And there's a pirate-ship/bar type of place, that was anchored out even farther, and i *think* people swim out to it... Not sure.

Have fun!!! It was a really great day.

Archived