Ocean view vs balcony for 8 day cruise

We are looking at taking an 8 day cruise in '13, the debate is between anocean view that we decided on or a balcony that we decided on, both are aft and there is a $500 difference in the price. My argument, its the same ship, same immenities, only difference is the room. The other side, for this long of a cruise with four sea days would it pay to have a balcony for a little private quiet outdoor time and have room service deliver and eat on the balcony a few times. I am not cheap but I figure the price difference could pay for the bulk of our sign and sail account.

I think you'll get tons of differing opinions on this, but the only one that counts is yours. I can tell you that I truly love my balcony and wouldn't settle for less. But then, I'd also tell you that if I wanted to do a more expensive cruise (Aruba) or a longer cruise (12 days), I would definitely consider an Oceanview in order to keep my cruising budget around the same as a traditional 7 day cruise.

It all depends on what you want to do. Is privacy worth $500 for you or would you prefer to do more with that extra money?

I think no matter what you choose, you're on a cruise and you're having a great time! :)

My rule of thumb:

If I can get a balcony for under $500 more the the OV I booked then I do it. Usually a month or two before sailing and I also get the upgrades that are offered even though booked ES.

Like said before the choice is yours and only yours! Have fun.

I feel in love with a baloncy on my last cruise (Liberty). We were in an inside and received an upgrade offer of a balcony for an extra $200. I was eyeing the balconies but couldn't justify the added expense, thank goodness to the fairy, her offer was priced just right!

Now we are booked on the Victory. Balcony cabins are CHEAP, and we are sailing from San Juan to Barbados and back, stopping at 6 ports. Not only did I go for a balcony, but I upgraded myself to an aft-wrap. The price was about the same, maybe a little more, than a balcony on a cruise leaving Miami or Fort Lauderale. I am super excited to be in an aft-wrap, pulling into all the pretty tiny islands of the Caribbean.

Our cruises we have planned after that leave from New York to the Caribbean and one to the Bahamas on NCL. The price of a balcony is an extra $600 for 2 people over the price of an oceanview. No way can I justify that much just for a balcony, heck my aft-wrap on Carnival isn't costing that much!

So, needless to say, we are in an oceanview on NCL, hoping to someday upgrade to a balcony. I can't justify the 4 nights we will be at sea from New York in March or November, a chilly time of year.

So ... whatever price you are comfortable with, go for it!

Hard for me to say unbiased. Once we got a balcony we never turned back. 2 years ago (with my son) we had an awesome suite upgrade but last year we tried an aft (just hubby and me) . This year we are going with an aft again even though we will have my son. The added cost of the suite wasn't worth it but it was worth the added cost to get an aft vs. standard. If that makes sense

If you think you'll spend most of your sea days on the lido/serenity/ etc then it might not be worth the $500

Either way I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise :)

Balcony snob. Sorry. There is just something about having a shower, putting on that big comfy robe and stepping out on the balcony. Coffee in the morning. Sunsets at night. The door open to hear the ocean at night. Yep.. I'm a balcony snob. But in the end of the day it has to be what's comfortable for you.

We are looking at taking an 8 day cruise in '13, the debate is between anocean view that we decided on or a balcony that we decided on, both are aft and there is a $500 difference in the price. My argument, its the same ship, same immenities, only difference is the room. The other side, for this long of a cruise with four sea days would it pay to have a balcony for a little private quiet outdoor time and have room service deliver and eat on the balcony a few times. I am not cheap but I figure the price difference could pay for the bulk of our sign and sail account.

It depends on your budget, and your wants, of course -- But if you can afford it, take the balcony!! You won't regret it.

I'm cheap...er, uh...thrifty, so I booked a porthole cabin for our upcoming 8-day cruise because it was less than an IS. We had an extended balcony years ago on the Miracle, but couldn't really enjoy it because of our obnoxious neighbors.

When we finally cruise to Alaska, we will certainly get another balcony, but now that there are 3 of us, we prefer the extra interior space to an expansive view of Caribbean ports. :)

Good luck in your decision!

Thanks for all the responses, our first cruise, a 7 day, we did an interior, was ok but didn't like the fact we didn't know if it was day or night. This October we are on the Freedom for a 6 day cruise and opted for ocean view. We are looking an 8 day on the Breeze for '13, one of the large aft balconies but not the aft-view extended balconies, they are the same price as the regular balconies and there are very few of them. The other cabin we are looking at is an ocean view on the main level. I am afraid once we go balcony we will never want to go back! Will be deciding in the near future, hopefully we make the right choice, but no matter what we will be on vacation!!!

Thanks for all the responses, our first cruise, a 7 day, we did an interior, was ok but didn't like the fact we didn't know if it was day or night. This October we are on the Freedom for a 6 day cruise and opted for ocean view. We are looking an 8 day on the Breeze for '13, one of the large aft balconies but not the aft-view extended balconies, they are the same price as the regular balconies and there are very few of them. The other cabin we are looking at is an ocean view on the main level. I am afraid once we go balcony we will never want to go back! Will be deciding in the near future, hopefully we make the right choice, but no matter what we will be on vacation!!!

More than likely it will be hard to o back from a balcony :) its not a bad problem to have. We just booked the Breeze for July 2013!

Archived