Is someone enjoying your car while you are on your cruise?

LegalCat

WOW is all I can say... the story was being discussed on a local radio station and someone called in and said his car was used while parked at a Miami hotel... he left it with a full tank and noted the mileage in his log book.. when he got back the tank was empty and there were over 300 miles added to the car...

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/parking-lot-owner-caught-using-customers-car/nNM6q/

I can't for the life of me figure out why any one would leave their keys behind?? For starters, most of us have a house key on that same fob and a vehicle registration in the glove box with our home address on it = invitation to come rob your house. Even without the house key, they now know your address and that you aren't home.

Secondly, I wouldn't trust any stranger with my car keys while I was gone for 7+ days.

Things that make you go :confused:.

There are many companies out there as far as cruise and airport parking companies that you take your car to them and they take you to the cruiseport/airport in your own car. So, you do need to leave your key. Most cars now come with a valet key so they cannot access your glove compartment or trunk. They also tell you to ONLY leave your car key and to take all identifying with you.

We did this once with my moms car at the Philadelphia airport...it is nice because when you land they bring you your car and another employee picks them up so you just drive home from there. We did use the valet key so unless they broke open the glove compartment they would not be able to see the registration and did not have a house key. When making the reservation they also do not ask for your address, only your name and phone number and zip code for the credit card info.

It is a shame that some idiot would do this, OK, take it around the parking lot I can MAYBE see, but supposed his dog ripped the seats or went to the bathroom in the car, or scratched the door panels...this guy should be arrested for grand theft right now...I would love to have seen what he would have done if they had scratched or ran into the car and did damage...how do you get out of that one...

I can't for the life of me figure out why any one would leave their keys behind?? For starters, most of us have a house key on that same fob and a vehicle registration in the glove box with our home address on it = invitation to come rob your house. Even without the house key, they now know your address and that you aren't home.

Secondly, I wouldn't trust any stranger with my car keys while I was gone for 7+ days.

Things that make you go :confused:.

Good point!! :)

Since we fly to the port city, we park our car in the long term lot at the airport and take our keys with us. The only ones to "enjoy" our car while we're gone are the %@ birds that use it for target practice!:eek::mad:

WOW is all I can say... the story was being discussed on a local radio station and someone called in and said his car was used while parked at a Miami hotel... he left it with a full tank and noted the mileage in his log book.. when he got back the tank was empty and there were over 300 miles added to the car...

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/parking-lot-owner-caught-using-customers-car/nNM6q/

I thought the story was about Miami, but indeed, it's about Port Canaveral's Premier Parking being the place that was caught!!

"...that the owner of Premier Parking Spot in Cocoa, Jay Nieves, was known to take customer's keys, then take their car for a ride."

Seems like a good place to post this...beware of independent (off site park your car for cruises companies)...We had trouble with one on the east coast..FLL..

We paid extra for indoor parking..when we returned from our cruise..they couldn't find our car...not only was it NOT in their indoor garage..they couldn't find it in their outdoor lots either! After about an hour..DH went riding around to their auxillary overflow lots with one of the lot attendants and they found it!

We were really ready to spit nails...the Mgr rebated the amount extra we paid for indoor parking..and we didn't want to argue about anything else cause we were to board another cruise the same day from MIA and were anxious to just get going.

Imagine our surprise when we got to MIA and discovered a DENT in the right front quarter panel! We took pics of it with our cell phone and DH called the Mgr right away...he said..oh..no problem..fax the pic when you get back from your next cruise along with some other info and we'll take care of it!

Huh!

When we returned a week later and did all that, we could NEVER reach him..either by phone...fax etc...he was either never there or someone else 'incharge' said we waited too long etc...

Finally we just gave up..it's just a small dent and the vehicle is old anyway..but everytime I see it..it makes me mad!

Not worth saving $5 a day for sure!

I thought the story was about Miami, but indeed, it's about Port Canaveral's Premier Parking being the place that was caught!!

"...that the owner of Premier Parking Spot in Cocoa, Jay Nieves, was known to take customer's keys, then take their car for a ride."

He must have watched Ferris Buehlers Day Off one too many times.

Bill

What an idiot (the lot owner).

I am curious... when I have parked my car at a lot, I have never had to leave my keys. Why would you have to?

The lot I used in Ft. Lauderdale in March said that at busy times, drivers MAY be required to leave their keys. I guess March wasn't too busy because I didn't have to leave mine. Not sure anyone would want to joy ride in a 2007 mini-van, though.

As of today's report, they are no longer in business. Gone - zip. Nothing there. And as a matter of fact he was never a legal business - no license. The guy also has a suspended license.

The report made it all the way to World News Tonight on ABC.

When I saw the report last night it didn't look very reputable. Can't believe anyone would ever leave their car there anyway.

Archived