Boston to Bermuda September weather & cancellation policy

belmont

Has anyone sailed the Dawn from Boston to Bermuda in September? Curious about the weather and seas at that time of year. We are sailing in September and have been informed that at times the cruise was changed from Bermuda to Novascotia If this does occur can you cancel your cruise and reschedule? Do not want to go somewhere cold when we are packing for the beach;)

It should be OK.

That being said the cruise line will change the itinerary in the event of a hurricane and that would not be known until a day or two before departure; so the option of re-booking probably would not be available.

We went to Bermuda late September last year. The weather was great in Bermuda, mid 80s and the water was still warm.

We left out of NY and the seas were a bit rough the first two nights.

A hurricane is still very possible, the Gem last year didn't go to Bermuda for two or three sailings prior to ours last year due to hurricanes.

I think those reports of re-routing are related to hurricanes or tropical storms. if one is in your path, you will be re-routed on a safe path. no, you cannot get a refund if a storm causes a change of itinerary. Actually the cruise contracts say they can re-do any itinerary for pretty much any reason...not that any cruise line does so willy-nilly, but they are allowed. So, if you cannot live with such changes sailing a risk and sailing during hurricaine season has the biggest risk of re-routing.

it was nice walking weather when we visited Bermuda in September. some people were in the water, but it was a bit cooler than optimal for swimming, IMHO.

I think those reports of re-routing are related to hurricanes or tropical storms. if one is in your path, you will be re-routed on a safe path. no, you cannot get a refund if a storm causes a change of itinerary. Actually the cruise contracts say they can re-do any itinerary for pretty much any reason...not that any cruise line does so willy-nilly, but they are allowed. So, if you cannot live with such changes sailing a risk and sailing during hurricaine season has the biggest risk of re-routing.

it was nice walking weather when we visited Bermuda in September. some people were in the water, but it was a bit cooler than optimal for swimming, IMHO.

first you can buy cancel for any reason insurance privately. The cruise lines allow you to cancel if you buy their insurance and give you a credit for 75-85% of the fare you paid.

second the reality is somewhat different...maybe. We were on the NCL Sea when a hurricaine hit Bermuda in 2000...we went to Canada and had a great time but some people refused. Its my understanding that some were in fact refunded...but don't count on it.

You really need to be more worried about possible hurricanes than the weather in Bermuda. September is still prime hurricane season and if that possibly happens, then the cruise will be rerouted. We were supposed to go last September from Boston to Bermuda and were rerouted. In most cases, you are not told about the re-route until you actually board the ship and then you are given an itinerary change. We were rerouted to Port Canaveral Florida and Nassau and the rest were sea days. Not great ports after you are expecting to go to Bermuda, but better than no cruise at all. Just be prepared for possible change and you'll be fine.

To the OP: the general rule of thumb is that if the destination is absolutely your primary goal in your travels, then cruising is not your best choice. You're better off choosing a land vacation. The cruise line can and will change the itinerary if it's in the best interests of the passengers (i.e., safety) and you should not expect any sort of refund. Lastly, the change in itinerary will occur much too close to sailing to allow you to cancel and rebook without a penalty (typically, 100% of what you paid if cancelled within 14 days of sailing). As others have pointed out, you can buy "cancel for any reason" insurance if an itinerary change is that big of a concern to you.

We took a cruise to Bermuda in September a few years ago. Because of hurricane activity we did not know until we got on the ship where it would be going. Some of the ships sailing to Bermuda that week went to Canada, others were rerouted to the Caribbean. It would have been better for us if we had been rerouted. It was just a few days after the hurricane had hit the island when we arrived. The Tourist Board had said Bermuda was ready for visitors but it definitely was not. The residents were totally stressed out and not really thrilled to have us there. The road to the other side of the island was only one lane and it was completely closed after dark. Most of the stores, restaurants, and other attractions were closed. There were continuing power failures. Then to top it off, the day after we docked the dock workers decided to have a work stoppage because of a labor issue and our ship was stuck in one port for the entire week. Our ability to go anywhere was very limited. Funny thing though, there was a ship stuck in each of the three ports and at the end of the week somehow the work stoppage magically ended and all the ships were allowed to leave to sail home! We sure won't forgot that cruise.

FYI I had a friend who was just on the NCL dawn from Boston to Bermuda who cruises a lot. Said this was the roughest water on any cruise they ever took...and that was April, 2012.

April 1997 Dream repo the last leg Bermuda to NYC was one of the roughest couple of days at sea. So rough we were 12 hours late into NYC.

we were on GEM last year that got diverted from Bermuda to Florida/Bahamas due to Hurricane Katia.

It was aweful! :( ruined out trip. we usually travel May or December, and it was our first Bermuda visit in September. First and last.

We're going to Bermuda in one week on Star, and Can't wait!

September Boston to Bermuda cruise could be 80's, with smooth sea's, or 60's, with 18 foot swells. There's just no way to predict. If you don't have insurance, you WILL NOT be refunded.

Our NCL Spirit cruise (Boston to Bermuda) on 9/14/2010 was rerouted to Port Canavral, then Nassau (8 hours in each port) due to hurricane Igor. We sailed in rough (18ft swells) water on the way down, and back. We were not informed of the new itinerary until we boarded. We were given a $50pp on board credit, only because Bermuda "port taxes" are $50 higher than PC & Nassau taxes combined. The temps were warm for the whole cruise, and it was sunny, but the ship was rockin ! We were just happy that they took us south, rather than north to Canada. It was still a great cruise !

We have been on three Bermuda cruises out of Boston during either September or first week of October during the past four years. The weather has been PERFECT on all four of these cruises--and the sailing has been incredibly SMOOTH--I could not tell the ship was moving on any of these cruises.

That said, I think that you got some very good information on this thread. It is clearly a risk that you take. However, there is one huge advantage. The cost of cruising during September is almost half what it is during the summer--therefore we can get a much better room, as well as have money for other things. I wouldn't be thrilled to get on the ship and find out we were going to Canada--but I wouldn't be upset. I would know that I was going to have a fantastic time no matter what. I have no desire to go to the Bahamas, but ended up going on the SKY last winter and so I would be very happy to go there. It really depends on what you value. As someone mentioned above--if it is going to absolutely ruin your life NOT to go to Bermuda, then a land vacation would probably be best. Cruising is a bit of a risk--and some times, as you well point out are riskier than others. For us, we take advantage of that risk knowing that it is so much less expensive. But we also know we are taking a risk and that we are going to be okay if things don't go as planned.

By and large most of the September and October cruises make it to Bermuda just fine. But obviously there were many responses above which indicate that that is not always the case. But I will also point out that at any point that can be the case. There is no absolute guarantee. That's why I am very careful about bringing other people with us on a cruise or trying to convince someone that a cruise is the best option. It isn't for everyone. And for sure, booking a cruise during hurricane season isn't for everyone. But it is just fine for us.:D Gosh, I think I'm gonna go check out this year's prices. . . .;)

We are sailing to Bermuda in 2 weeks. I would prefer to sail in September, but I was on one of those Gem sailings that did not make it to Bermuda.We still had a blast even if we went to Orlando, GSC, and Nasseau! This trip I wanted to make sure we got there, so we booked May way outside Hurricane season.

Good luck and happy planning!

we were on GEM last year that got diverted from Bermuda to Florida/Bahamas due to Hurricane Katia.

It was aweful! :( ruined out trip. we usually travel May or December, and it was our first Bermuda visit in September. First and last.

We're going to Bermuda in one week on Star, and Can't wait!

I remember reading here and watching the weather like crazy last year. I was on the 9/18 sailing and was so relieved that we actually got to go to Bermuda. I felt bad for everyone on the prior sailings that didn't make it there.

I remember reading here and watching the weather like crazy last year. I was on the 9/18 sailing and was so relieved that we actually got to go to Bermuda. I felt bad for everyone on the prior sailings that didn't make it there.

We were on the 9/11 Gem sailing and did not make it. Bermuda is just 2 weeks away now and I do not see Katia stopping us! The water is still cool, and we might book the Breakaway for next fall. I will see in two weeks what it is like and decide then.

Archived