Transatlantic on the Royal Clipper April 2012

pralientje

After working hours I flew to LGW, stayed at hotel and flew to Barbados next morning. First time with Virgin in economy plus. Had the most gorgeous passenger sitting next to me (looked like Richard Gere's brother!). Time went by quickly since we really liked each other's company. Excellent service, very good seats, prefer VA over BA.

Booked hotel through Star Clippers and stayed two days at Accra Beach. Nice room with ocean view. Hotel is being refurbished and a lot of stuff was standing in the corridors, but in the evenings it was always cleared out.

Breakfast is nice, did not have a meal, because just outside the hotel there were numerous possibilities. There is also a small supermarket just accross the road. Booked transfers from airport to hotel and from hotel to ship through SC. A small bus picked up two other passengers and myself at half past three, just a short ride to harbour. Check in was easy and luckily the crew had umbrellas ready since it started raining. Met Captain Brunon and Anita the hotel manager. Had sailed with Captain Brunon from Tahiti to Monaco in 2010, so it was very nice to see him again. Anita knew about my food allergy and told me everything was available. Indeed it was, for the first time in all my trips with SC there was lactose free yoghurt, butter and even cheese! Well done, and really appreciated.

The ship was in very good condition and the atmosphere on board was relaxed and happy. There were only 87 passengers on board, of which about 40+ were invited by the Captain for the repeaters reception on the aft deck. The first morning after leaving Barbados we encountered a big pod of dolphins. One crew member then said: Oh, we will have a very good crossing, and indeed, he was right. We had the most beautiful weather but we were having head winds, so had to motor most of the time. Then after trying I think for 6 or 7 times over the last couple of years, I was finally able to set foot on the Azores! The excursion to the blue and green lake was a waste of money. Way to and from the lakes was the same and quite boring. Had the most delicious pastry for just € 1,20 in a small village, for us very cheap but since the monthly income is between € 400 and € 600, very expensive for the locals. After the Azores we finally could raise the squares, this was only possible two times during the crossing, but you can't have it all:D!

Overall impression: enjoyed the food and the deserts at lunch all looked mouthwatering and in the evening the pastry chef always made me something special:rolleyes:! The crew was great, with the exception of the musical duo. In my opinion they were below par. It seemed both of them were unable to smile and get a feel for what the passengers really liked. A lot of dancing was going on when the tapes were on, but never when they played.

As I said before, condition of the ship was excellent in my opinion. The deck crew made two new stepladders for the pilots. Amazing job.

All in all enjoyed every minute of it, time was flying by too fast.

Monja the cruise director, did an excellent job during the crossing. After a couple of days she knew everybody by name!

Transfer from ship to airport was a breeze (thanks to Monja) and I am looking forward to be on the Royal in November for the Lisbon to Barbados crossing.

Pralientje

Archived