Eagle Ray Discover Scuba - do you get to see live coral reef?

PyeDog

I want to see the really beautiful live coral reefs that I've always seen in movies & on TV, but never in real life. Whenever I've snorkled, the coral is mostly dead in the places I've been taken by guides....sure there are beautiful fish, but I want to see a real live reef.

If I do the Discover Scuba 2 tank dive with Eagle Ray, what are the chances of getting to a real reef? My suspicion is that new/inexperienced divers aren't taken to really great spots for fear the coral will be wrecked. I understand and respect this attitude, but don't want to spend my $ and only day in Cozumel to see what I've already seen so much of, dead coral and fish.

Thanks,

Pyedog

Discover Scuba allows for only about a 30-40 foot dive but there are no limitations or restrictions placed on the reefs that you would see. You won't see the huge coral formations that you would at Palancar or Colombia, but the reefs and coral are still beautiful.

If you're considering DS with Eagle Ray Divers, I would e-mail Chellie and ask her where they would take you and if you would see nice coral formations. We did our Discover Scuba with them and our dive certification and we went to Paradise Reef, which we thought was beautiful. Never hurts to ask the dive shop what you can expect.

We did Palancar reef and one other by the ships! I did this in April 05 with divewithchristina.com These two people were Great Luis and Christina. They have there own boat and took us to Palancar first it was Great!!!! Check them out. They can custom a trip for you too!!!!!:)

My apologies: I meant to say you wouldn't be diving Palancar Caves or Palancar Horseshoe, which are deeper dives for immediate to advanced divers. You could possibly dive Palancar Gardens, though, since it's depth ranges from 15 feet to 70 feet. I should have been clearer as there are a few different profiles for Palancar Reef.

ScubaMare: what is the best way to get in touch with Chellie? I have e-mailed her from my office and home and I have not gotten a response. I don't want to bug them but I would rather use them for my first dive since they come very highly recommended on these boards.

Also, when you dive, what do you do with your docs, money, s&s card?

I know that there have been some cable internet problems in Cozumel and that ERD uses cable internet. So, your e-mail may have gotten lost in space or she just may be trying to catch up if she's back online.

I have a special long distance rate to Cozumel, since we're down there so often, so I'd be happy to give her a call if you'd like. You can shoot me an e-mail at scubamare@hotmail.com with your name and dates and I'll ask her if she received your e-mail. Otherwise, I would just try again today. I had a confirmation e-mail from her a few minutes ago regarding our dives in June so (for now) she does have internet service.

SCR, I'm sorry. I forgot to answer your question about what we do with all of our stuff when we're diving. We just leave everything on the boat in a dry bag. Before I had a dry bag, I'd just leave our wallets and paperwork in a ziplock bag in my beach bag. No worries with anything being stolen. ERD's staff are great guys!

Also, if the service is good and you're happy with your dive instructor and the captain, it's nice to give your dive instructor a 10%-15% tip. That will be split with the crew.

Archived