Review of our Spring Break '12 Cruise on Carnival Liberty

PaulMedik

Ahhhhh, it's sort of like the Soup N azi. ;)

Order it wrong = NO SANDWICH FOR YOU!

rajones007,

No sandwich would have been better. :) I suspect my mistake was the cheese that I had to specify; I don't know what it was, but it sure didn't taste like cheese. :o

The cabanas come with comfy chairs inside and out, Cold AC, outlets for electronics, and a nice view. One of the best features is having a waiter come by and take drink orders;

IMG_1427-vi.jpg

We each ordered drinks and when the arrived the boys discovered their drinks weren't virgin; they didn't specify virgin or no alcohol so the mistake was ours. Karen ended up drinking hers and theirs; she said since she couldn't taste alcohol that she wasn't going to let them go to waste;

IMG_1432-vi.jpg

We enjoyed the cabana for a while and then headed out to zip line;

IMG_1433-vi.jpg

Lots of nice photo ops along the way;

IMG_1437-vi.jpg

IMG_1441-vi.jpg

We opted to walk instead of ride the chairs back to the port;

IMG_1453-vi.jpg

Walking back thru the port it was a lot less congested than I expected;

IMG_1458-vi.jpg

We zipped with Clip N Zip on our last trip to Roatan and opted to use them again this time. Nothing can beat just walking across the street from the port for convenience;

IMG_1465-vi.jpg

The guides began outfitting us with rigging just as soon as we arrived;

IMG_1467-vi.jpg

Karen ready to fly;

IMG_1473-vi.jpg

Loaded up and ready to roll;

IMG_1476-vi.jpg

As we were riding up the hill in the back of the truck to the starting area, Karen announced that perhaps there was quite a bit of alcohol in the three drinks;

IMG_1481-vi.jpg

IMG_1483-vi.jpg

There's a nice walk after the truck ride;

IMG_1486-vi.jpg

There are many impressively sized trees along the way;

IMG_1489-vi.jpg

There's nice cold water waiting at the top of the hill;

IMG_1491-vi.jpg

IMG_1493-vi.jpg

The views from the top of the hill are amazing;

IMG_1496-vi.jpg

Karen zipping (Check out the size of the tree limbs);

IMG_1501-vi.jpg

IMG_1503-vi.jpg

IMG_1508-vi.jpg

What happens if you use your brake too much? The guides have to drag you end hand over hand;

IMG_1532-vi.jpg

Near the end of the zip they have a photog getting pics that will be available via CD to purchase after you're finished;

IMG_1564-vi.jpg

IMG_1578-vi.jpg

Ahhhhh, it's sort of like the Soup N azi. ;)

Order it wrong = NO SANDWICH FOR YOU!

It's like going to Pat's for a cheese steak lol if you don't know how to order right, you will stay hungry lol

-KD

Glad to see you back!

My husband and boys did ClipNZip when we went to Roatan last August. They loved it and thought the people running it were terrific!!

My daugther and I got the Clam Shell Beach Package... with the Flying Chairs and Mats. It was a great deal for the two of us, but next time we might just get a Cabana!

Were you able to lock the Cabana when you were gone?

How would you compare the Cabana vs. the Cabana at Half Moon Cay?

Thanks.. and looking forward to the continued saga!

Catrin

It's like going to Pat's for a cheese steak lol if you don't know how to order right, you will stay hungry lol

-KD

KD,

Perhaps my mistake was that I went ahead and ate it even though I didn't like it? I should have tossed it and ordered something else.

Glad to see you back!

My husband and boys did ClipNZip when we went to Roatan last August. They loved it and thought the people running it were terrific!!

My daugther and I got the Clam Shell Beach Package... with the Flying Chairs and Mats. It was a great deal for the two of us, but next time we might just get a Cabana!

Were you able to lock the Cabana when you were gone?

How would you compare the Cabana vs. the Cabana at Half Moon Cay?

Thanks.. and looking forward to the continued saga!

Catrin

Catrin,

Thank you.

We had a key to lock the cabana, but Janet (Mama) stayed at the cabana / beach so we left it unlocked. It would have been real handy to lock our stuff up if Janet hadn't been there.

I like the Cabanas @ Half Moon Cay better, but the cabanas @ Roatan are much nicer if that makes any sense? To me, fancy doesn't mean better and Roatan's cabanas are certainly 'fancy' by anyone's standards. I don't feel that Half Moon Cay's cabanas would be better if they were like Roatan's and in fact if they were like Roatan's they would diminish the experience of Half Moon Cay. Half Moon Cay has a rustic appeal augmented by comfort of the cabana. Roatan has a bit of a spoiled traveler appeal due to being man made and thus the fancier cabanas are better suited to Roatan than they would be Half Moon Cay.

We will definately opt for a Cabana @ Roatan everytime we get a chance even when we end up doing a lot of other activities; perhpas not for just Karen and I, but for sure if we have our boys or other cruisers with us. Who am I kidding? If it's just Karen and I, we'll still get a cabana. They are worth the cost!

Always love your reviews!! :p Thanks again for sharing!:D

Thank you.

Edited by PaulMedik

So loving your review. I just booked the cave tubing in Belize. Never been there so were excited.

Now to figure out mahogany bay. We want to do something different but not sure what...any suggestions

Kathy

Kathy,

Thank you.

Clip n Zip is a great option, but for your first time you HAVE to get out and see the island. IMO, Victor Bodden's various tours offer the best option for seeing the island and having a great time while you are doing so. He has multiple tour guides who know the island and the island's history very well, and he has a very nice zip line on his property as well as several native animals to entertain you. Make sure you include a stop at West Bay AKA West Bank AKA by other names; it's one of the nicest beaches in the Caribbean and very similar to Grand Cayman, but with a Mountainous background. He has a website for choosing the exact tour you want, but you can always tailor any tour to suit your desires.

Edited by PaulMedik

Keep up the great review! We're doing this itinerary next May on the Dream.

Latinhunny33,

It's a great itinerary. I'm sure you'll have a good time.

The Pro pics taken by Clip N Zip;

Bryson,

CSC_0022-vi.jpg

Yours truely,

CSC_0053-vi.jpg

Britt,

DSC_0040-vi.jpg

Spencer,

CSC_0034-vi.jpg

Karen,

CSC_0010-vi.jpg

After the final zip the guides met with us on the landing area to gather our gear and discuss the experience with us.

IMG_1588-vi.jpg

Several of the guides have been with Clip N Zip since they opened back in 2009 and a couple remembered us from then since we were one of their first customers. We tipped our guides some extra ca$h for their outstanding performance and they suggested that we try out the 4-wheeler excursion next door since we zipped thru the zip lines so fast. They offer a two for one price to do zip lining and 4 wheeling and they extended the offer to us for 4-wheeling even though we didn't buy in initially. As I recall it was $40 each for zipline and $40 each for 4-wheelers? $400 total for the five of us to do both is a very good deal.

Edited by PaulMedik

When we walked over to the four wheeler muster area all of the cycles were currently out on the trail so we waited on the porch area;

IMG_1611-vi.jpg

The garage area had several mechanics busily repairing and servicing four wheelers that weren't quite ready to be back on the trail;

IMG_1612-vi.jpg

Before long our four wheelers returned from the trail and were prepped for our ride. The guides like to make sure that everyone has a helmet that fits properly;

IMG_1614-vi.jpg

We have four wheelers of our own and our boys grew up riding four wheelers on my Dad's farm in WV and the terrain is very similar though the soil is much sandier in Roatan. Our guide didn't have to spend much time with each of us familiarizing us with the controls so we were soon lined up and ready to roll out;

IMG_1627-vi.jpg

The guide rode in front and said he would go as fast as it appeared we could keep up. I brought up the rear and tried to get pics, but by the time I'd get stopped and get my camera out most everyone would be out of sight;

IMG_1628-vi.jpg

We drove out to a rocky beach and the guide checked the water depth to see if we could make a run, but it was too deep for the air intakes;

IMG_1630-vi.jpg

Edited by PaulMedik

A pile of Brain Coral (sp?) makes for a nice foot prop for photo op;

IMG_1632-vi.jpg

I guess we should have taken our helmets off to make this pose more picturesqe?

IMG_1633-vi.jpg

Our guide explaining that since we went thru the trails so quickly that he had led us off the normal trails so we would cover more terrain and not crowd groups ahead of us;

IMG_1636-vi.jpg

We had a blast running trail after trail and spashing thru bogs;

IMG_1637-vi.jpg

We had a bit of a power slide contest in this area while our guide met with a 'Turtle Man' to see about letting us join a turtle swim tour;

IMG_1640-vi.jpg

The 'Turtle Man' had a tour underway, but our guide negotiated for us to try it out once they were done;

IMG_1641-vi.jpg

Spencer and Bryson checking out the turtle swim;

IMG_1643-vi.jpg

I don't know that Karen had ever touched a turtle in her life. Granted she grew up in Webster Country WV and is a country girl, but she's a country girl that won't even touch a bug. I guess the three drinks along with the sweltering hot Caribbean Sun convinced her to strip to her bathing suit and jump in with a pen of HUGE turtles;

IMG_1646-vi.jpg

In no time she was in the water petting a medium sized turtle;

IMG_1651-vi.jpg

Bryson saw one of the large turtles take off like a torpedo carrying the turtle man on it's back. He said that was all he needed to see so he returned to his four wheeler and proceded to travel the nearby trails;

IMG_1649-vi.jpg

Spencer, who had definately never touched a turtle, was emboldened by his Mother's odd behavior so he joined her;

IMG_1656-vi.jpg

A sight I never thought I'd see;

IMG_1657-vi.jpg

Spencer was a bit shell shocked after the turtle, which he assumed would take off slow, began beating the water with it's feet and took off like a rocket;

IMG_1659-vi.jpg

Karen post turtle swim was shaking with excitement. Britt was a bit more reserved much like his Father;

IMG_1661-vi.jpg

I had battery issues and missed the best shots with the turtles. If anyone wishes to swim with the turtles I'm not sure what the normal booking procedure is. It wasn't part of our four wheeler tour and we simply tipped him afterwards per arrangement of our guide.

I asked our guide what the turtle guy's name was and he said he only knew him as 'Turtle Man.' Turtle man obviously loves his vocation;

IMG_1662-vi.jpg

We enjoyed a few more burn out donuts and power slides as we left the turtle swim area;

IMG_1664-vi.jpg

The boys were all within a safe distance of us while riding the open trails along the coast;

IMG_1665-vi.jpg

After we finished the trails and headed back to the staging area our guide thanked the boys for making his trip so enjoyable. He said he normally just gets to creep along, but that he really enjoyed his time with us. Throughout the tour and especially while at the turtle swim area he asked us repeatedly if the boys were OK riding like they were and we assured him they were experienced riders. It took a while, but he finally relaxed and began jumping bumps and splashing thru bogs with them.

IMG_1666-vi.jpg

Our boys all began riding four wheelers before their first birthday and have ridden full size cycles by themselves since the age of 9. They've NEVER went riding with friends and have never ridden on pavement. My 17 years as a Paramedic blessed me with too many ATV accidents and the common denominator was always pavement or unsupervised riding with groups of friends. Granted there's an occasional roll over by an older or experienced rider, but all of the fatalities I've ran involved pavement, inexperienced riders with friends, or alcohol.

Edited by PaulMedik

Karen offered one final word of advice concerning the ATV excursion; Don't wear white and don't wear new shoes;

IMG_1668-vi.jpg

Heading back to Mahogany Beach Karen had to hit the saddle along the way;

IMG_1670-vi.jpg

We opted to ride the 'Magical Chairs' back over to the beach. Along the ride we show off our day's collection of wrist bands;

IMG_1671-vi.jpg

IMG_1673-vi.jpg

For those curious about connecting with friends back home, they do have free WiFi near the bars;

IMG_1682-vi.jpg

Once we arrived back at the Cabana we enjoyed some hot wings;

IMG_1683-vi.jpg

Why did we rent a cabana then spend half the day running around the nearby hills? I wondered that too until the sky opened up and ran everyone else off;

IMG_1684-vi.jpg

P4110004-vi.jpg

There were a few hearty souls left along the beach, but to escape the pounding of the downpour they were all in the water;

P4110006-vi.jpg

Perfect snorkeling weather. Not so perfect picture weather;

P4110028-vi.jpg

Bravado;

P4110036-vi.jpg

There's nothing quite like a cool rain massage in a hammock;

P4110042-vi.jpg

Edited by PaulMedik

She may jump in and swim with Giant Sea Turtles, but she won't come out and play in the rain no matter how much I encourage her;

P4110048-vi.jpg

How can anyone sleep thru the best part of a day?

P4110050-vi.jpg

Karen made sure she curled up snug under a towel out of the rain, but left my LowePro camera case sitting out on the edge of the porch;

P4110051-vi.jpg

Luckily my camera case is water proof!

We had placed orders for food prior to the rain starting and even though it was still pouring, they delivered our food;

P4110053-vi.jpg

Please forgive the poor pics of food that might not look all that great, but trust me it was VERY tasty;

P4110055-vi.jpg

FishEye pic of the cabana interior (Please overlook our mess in the floor and on the table);

IMG_1955-vi.jpg

Our cabana porch as the boys feast on wings and fixings;

IMG_1959-vi.jpg

Cabanas;

IMG_1961-vi.jpg

The cabanas in the middle are less private than those on the sides;

IMG_1963-vi.jpg

After the storm clouds passed over the color returned to the sky and highlighted everything;

IMG_1992-vi.jpg

IMG_1991-vi.jpg

The colors are a little blown out in this pic, but I like it anyhow;

IMG_1995-vi.jpg

Three worn out boys ready to travel;

IMG_2005-vi.jpg

Spencer kilted up ready to go;

IMG_2006-vi.jpg

IMG_2015-vi.jpg

The walk back to the port was certainly not crowded;

IMG_2031-vi.jpg

The rental shack was just closing as we passed by;

IMG_2034-vi.jpg

A Nice walk spoiled. We had ridden the 'Magic Chairs' several times throughout the day without an issue, but Lucef chose to cause issues.

IMG_2035-vi.jpg

Lucef insisted that we would need to return to the rental shack and get additional wrist bands. We explained to him that both on the ship and at the rental shack we had been advised to just say we're all together with a cabana. Each time we rode we told the magic chair folks that and they waved us on. Given that the rental shack was now closed, Lucef's answer was moot.

Lucef stated that none of us could ride since we didn't have the correct number of wrist bands and when Karen gave hers to Janet he insisted we could not do it. Here's Lucef stoping the boys and Janet from boarding the chairs;

IMG_2039-vi.jpg

Britt and Janet flying away on the magic chair;

IMG_2044-vi.jpg

Spencer flying away while Lucef scowls;

IMG_2045-vi.jpg

The white clouds behind the ship blended perfectly with the ship's white exterior;

IMG_2042-vi.jpg

IMG_2060-vi.jpg

IMG_2059-vi.jpg

Nobody was at the ticket booth to ask about Lucef's attitude. It was nice of him not to interfere with my family boarding the chairs even though he said he would not allow it.

IMG_2063-vi.jpg

Nobody was manning the chairs on the port side when Bryson got off;

IMG_2064-vi.jpg

When Spencer arrived there was a man there, but he didn't know anything about Lucef nor did he know why Lucef would have said anything to us.

IMG_2070-vi.jpg

Edited by PaulMedik