Green Jeep vs Train - Skagway

Seminolevet

My husband and I are leaning towards going with Green Jeep Tours out of Skagway for our excursion while we are in port. We both love the idea of being able to go at our own speed, stopping where we want. We love the outdoors, and he LOVES Jeeps. (We have one back home that gets a workout!)

My question is, while he is completely sold on the idea of doing this instead of the train, my priority is more in seeing all the "must see" stops. Is there anything we'd miss by not doing the train? (other than the train itself, which doesn't bother me.) We're doing a DIY land tour prior to the cruise, so I was worried after cavorting around Alaska by rental car for the whole week prior he wouldn't want to drive any more, but he assures me that the Jeep makes it worthwhile. :rolleyes: Boys and their toys.

Thanks! :)

You will also see a lot of things you don't see from the train :) For example, you can see the starting point of the Yukon River driving, but not from the train.

I think the big thing you don't see is Lake Bennett, if you take the train all the way to Carcross, otherwise, you see the same valley as car drivers, just from the other side.

You can always check Google Map and see where the road goes vs. where the rail goes.

Unless you really really want a Jeep, I think it makes more sense to rent a car from Sourdough or Avis, from a cost perspective.

Thanks for the info...Is Lake Bennett worth the train? I'm leaning towards no...correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm indifferent about method of travel (car vs Jeep), but the hubby really, really wants it. Just like some people want to do the train for the train itself, he's that way about the Jeep. (even though he has one here!) ;)

The cost doesn't bother us, even with the gas along the way. Still works out cheaper or equivalent to the train in the long run I think. I mainly just don't want to miss anything important :)

I have never seen Lake Bennett so I can't say. I had no regretted though when I drove last time.

Also, you can drive to the Chilkoot Trail and the ruins of Dynea. So you definitely get more bang for your Buck by going car

I'll throw my two cents in for Green Jeep Tours. My husband and I used them last year and had a blast! The lady that works there is wonderful. She packed a cooler with our favorite drinks and some snacks, which was a nice touch. It was fun using the CB radio to talk to other Green Jeep drivers and we really loved the freedom of doing our own thing. There is also a CD included and if you play it at the right time, it will tell you information along the way about the things you are seeing. I can't give you a direct comparison to the train because we haven't done that but I don't think you will be disappointed with the jeep tour. :)

My husband and I are leaning towards going with Green Jeep Tours out of Skagway for our excursion while we are in port. We both love the idea of being able to go at our own speed, stopping where we want. We love the outdoors, and he LOVES Jeeps. (We have one back home that gets a workout!)

My question is, while he is completely sold on the idea of doing this instead of the train, my priority is more in seeing all the "must see" stops. Is there anything we'd miss by not doing the train? (other than the train itself, which doesn't bother me.) We're doing a DIY land tour prior to the cruise, so I was worried after cavorting around Alaska by rental car for the whole week prior he wouldn't want to drive any more, but he assures me that the Jeep makes it worthwhile. :rolleyes: Boys and their toys.

Thanks! :)

I booked the Green Jeep Tour and I will let you know my thoughts when I return. My DH did not like the idea of a long train ride. The jeep will allow you to stop as you wish along the way.

Archived