Avalon Felicity, Romantic Rhine

ZBart47

Would like information as to dock in Basel, transfer to SSB rail.

I can't help you with that question but I'm sure Avalon could. We recently went from Basel to Amsterdam and took the bus shuttle from Zurich to Basel. As I remember, we went through a large industrial area of Basel before arriving at the boat. It was a much larger area than I expected.

Riveria Bound - I just got my documents today. I'm so excited. The countdown has begun. Any tips / insights from your trip?

I just responded to one of your other posts. Hope you find it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Clare

I asked this a while ago, and just noticed the answer by ninthisland a few days ago.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1537562

Also, some discussion on Tripadvisor says it's Dreiländereck. Here it is on the map:

Link to google maps

Starting to dig more on Tripadvisor now. Looks like Tram #8 goes from Basel SBB to near Dreiländereck. Of course, will still need to verify Dreiländereck with Avalon shortly before the cruise.

Tripadvisor link

Basel's transit site is pretty friendly: http://www.bvb.ch

We traveled the Basel to Amsterdam route in May two years ago. There are two places where the boats dock depending on the water level. Both are accessible by public transport - tram - albeit with some walking. The hotel concierge (we were at the Hilton on points and they give a free Basel transportation card at checkin) made a call the morning we were to leave to find out which departure point we would be using, then gave us directions on how to find the port. Water was high so it was the port at the confluence of the river at the three countries monument ... Dreilandereck. All the way to the end of the tram line and a ~ 1/2 mile level walk. We travel carryon only so it was no problem for us. Lots of taxi's available, too, if you have a fair amount of luggage.

Enjoy your trip!! We most certainly enjoyed ours and will be spending a good chunk of May cruising the Danube this time.

Archived