Bus from Toulon to St. Tropez

ladymacbeth216!

good day...I was in Toulon a few weeks ago for the second time and for the second time found it incredibly DISAPPOINTING and next time I will do what I never do and just plan an excursion.

The plan was to get a taxi and go to st Tropez, after all the ship was asking 149 usd per person to take you there and back and we had 15 interested people...surely taxi's would be excited to make some $.

No such thing, at 7:15am there were several cruisers outside fighting over THREE TAXIS.

When we disembarked at 8:30 am the taxi drivers that were sitting there could offer no suggestions or help...there were "no taxis in town available to take anyone for the day"

Seems incredible no ?

So off we went on the crap little train and then the ferry across to the marina of Toulon and a very sad little city, in this girls opinion.

Next time I will not hesitate to take a tour to Marseille.

I had looked for information about Toulon here and everywhere before I went again and found nothing, and upon arrival I found out why, there was nothing to learn

Is it possible to travel from Toulon (Royal Caribbean dock) to St. Tropez? I understand that the bus is the best way. Is it easy to reach the bus station in Toulon? Is it easy to rent a bike in St. Tropez?

I was just in that part of the world but it is really easy to get around and their train along the coast is excellent. There is a train that runs along the Cote d Azur. I cannot remember the name but you should be able to google it....It is the same train system that runs between Nice and Monaco.

I wasn't in Toulon but hopefully others can let you know how to get to the train station. If it is close, I would look into the buses.

I was just in that part of the world but it is really easy to get around and their train along the coast is excellent. There is a train that runs along the Cote d Azur. I cannot remember the name but you should be able to google it....It is the same train system that runs between Nice and Monaco.

I wasn't in Toulon but hopefully others can let you know how to get to the train station. If it is close, I would look into the buses.

Baseball Fan

I want to understand the rail system, I am not going to the south of France this year, but I know that we will go again. The only map I could find was this.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/france/regions/cote-d-azur/cote-d-azur-rail-map.html

Which does not show a train from Toulon along the eastern coastline. Is there a more local train service ? Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...
Is it possible to travel from Toulon (Royal Caribbean dock) to St. Tropez? I understand that the bus is the best way. Is it easy to reach the bus station in Toulon? Is it easy to rent a bike in St. Tropez?

I can't speak specifically about getting to St. Tropez from Toulon, but wanted to let you know that we were on LOS med cruise last year. Did not dock at "Toulon," but rather at a small town across the bay calle Le Seyne sur Mer (sp?) (LSSM), even though itinerary says "Toulon." The quickest way to get to Toulon from LSSM is to catch the ferry fairly close to the dock. It is about a 20 min. ride, I believe. Of course, you may be able to catch a bus from LSSM to St. Tropez, but someone else can steer you on that.

We actually walked from the dock to Toulon (do NOT try -- it was a very long walk (approx. 4-5 miles) through rough area/terrain). We did not see one taxi the entire time we were walking. We actually had to go to a hotel (Holiday Inn) in Toulon to ask them to call us a taxi to return to the ship!

LSSM/Toulon was not that great a port in our opinion (although we did enjoy walking around LSSM).

• 3 years later...

I am trying to do the same thing. I posted in a Toulon thread, but this one is much better, sorry for the duplication

It seems the options are

1. Train from Toulon - St Raphael 0815 - 0912 or 947 - 1036 ($162 for 4 people)

and then ~ 1hr bus from St Raphael - St Tropez.

The bus from St R to St Tropez looks like it goes along the coast and would be scenic.

There is NO train to St Tropez

2. Bus from Toulon to St Tropez 1hr 45 min - 2 hrs

on Sundays it seems only one bus leaves at 0810 and we might not get off the ship and to the bus stop on time and the next one leaves at 12

I would greatly appreciate any advice if anyone has gone to St Tropez for the day, as it seems the bus timetables make it hard.

I looked into car hire, but we are there on a Sunday, and both Avis and EuRopcar in La Seyne Sur Mer are closed on Sundays :(

I am trying to do the same thing. I posted in a Toulon thread, but this one is much better, sorry for the duplication

It seems the options are

1. Train from Toulon - St Raphael 0815 - 0912 or 947 - 1036 ($162 for 4 people)

and then ~ 1hr bus from St Raphael - St Tropez.

The bus from St R to St Tropez looks like it goes along the coast and would be scenic.

There is NO train to St Tropez

2. Bus from Toulon to St Tropez 1hr 45 min - 2 hrs

on Sundays it seems only one bus leaves at 0810 and we might not get off the ship and to the bus stop on time and the next one leaves at 12

I would greatly appreciate any advice if anyone has gone to St Tropez for the day, as it seems the bus timetables make it hard.

I looked into car hire, but we are there on a Sunday, and both Avis and EuRopcar in La Seyne Sur Mer are closed on Sundays :(

You have revived a very old thread. I participated when I was planning a previous cruise. This year I went back to Marseille however I will offer my thoughts.

It really does not look like St Tropez is a realistic option from Toulon, especially if you are actually docking at Le Seyne. Why would you really want to spend so much time travelling to what is not really considered a 'great' day trip. I am sure St Tropez is great as a stay for a number of days.

If you really want to go to ST Tropez and your ship offers an excursion, I think this is one of those times when it would be better to not DIY.

Have you considered Bandol or Sanary sur Mer as seaside resorts for the day. I am not sure of the best transport options, but this would be my choice if I wanted to go to see the sea.