Help- Infinity vs. Century to Alaska in June 2012

Bear2006

I want to book a cruise today but can't decide between these two ships.

-Infinity is Seattle to Seattle while Century is Vancouver to Vancouver (including Hubbard Glacier).

-The price is the almost same for a GTY Veranda on Infinity vs. a CC on Century

-We have a 3 and a 5 year old. I read that the kids club on Infinity has been redone and now has natural sunlight. I am not sure the kids will want to go to the kids club.

- the airfare is just about the same from where we live to Vancouver and Seattle.

-We have been to both Seattle and Vancouver and are fine spending a few extra days in either place.

-DH and I cruised to Alaska 7 years ago pre-kids from Vancouver to Seward on the Summit.

Any advice, Thanks!

Did not do Alaska on either ship but sailed Infinity in January, 2012 and got off of Century yesterday. In my personal opinion, with all things being equal for itinerary and pricing, I'd go with Infinity. We liked the food better and the crew was amazing. We loved the openness of the glass on Infinity.

Just my opinion so it might not be much help

Hi,

CENTURY's itinerary from Vancouver is, in my opinion, much more attractive than INFINITY's out of Seattle.

It includes Hubbard Glacier, mid-day, a defenite upside compared to TracyArm, which INFINITY sails into early morning and,while majestic, does not equal Hubbard,

It also sails the BC-side of the inside passage, Johnston strait, spectacular even on cloudy day ( Infinity skips that in favour of the unprotected ocean west side of Vancouver Island ).

The sailaway from Vancouver is quite spectacular and will stay that way until darkness ( ~~ 23;00hr lateJune), compared to a sailaway from Seattle which ''runs out'' of magnificent sightings by ~~ 21;30hr or so.

And I do hate that PVSA-mandated stop in Victoria the last night in...from ~18'30 till sailaway midnight...way too short to pay proper attention to this lovely city...even more so due to the fact you have to be back on board by 23;00hr...

That being said; INFINITY, just out of drydock for ''Solsticization 2.0 ", has all the bells and whistles..and is a sibling to SUMMIT which you've already sailed on. ( also been solsticized in January); it does have at least twice the choice of eateries ( ''pay for'' and ''free''). However,in the process of being ''upgraded'',she lost 30% of her top deck observation lounge ( a brutal shame, in my opinion ) to the new kids area. And you very correctly opined this may not appeal to kids, as natural light might very well distract them away from the real intent of a 'closed'' kids area..

Century is the grand old dame of the fleet, seems to always attract the best attitude out of an already phenomenal crew, and is maintained in sterling fashion. Much cosier than the ''M'' class ( specially now that they've lost some public space ratio ) and she pioneered Murano and the Ice martini bar. in 2006.

My opinion ( based on 6 Alaska sailings and having sailed both ships of concern here ); Sail the Vancouver round tripper.

Happy sailing

Cheers

I forgot to add to the above; WE are sailing Century ex Vancouver this coming July 1st ( with wife, son, daughter-in-law, 2 grand daughters, one of which is a ''newbie'' ).

so...pardon the bias....:rolleyes:

Cheers

:)

Hi,

CENTURY's itinerary from Vancouver is, in my opinion, much more attractive than INFINITY's out of Seattle.

It includes Hubbard Glacier, mid-day, a defenite upside compared to TracyArm, which INFINITY sails into early morning and,while majestic, does not equal Hubbard,

It also sails the BC-side of the inside passage, Johnston strait, spectacular even on cloudy day ( Infinity skips that in favour of the unprotected ocean west side of Vancouver Island ).

The sailaway from Vancouver is quite spectacular and will stay that way until darkness ( ~~ 23;00hr lateJune), compared to a sailaway from Seattle which ''runs out'' of magnificent sightings by ~~ 21;30hr or so.

And I do hate that PVSA-mandated stop in Victoria the last night in...from ~18'30 till sailaway midnight...way too short to pay proper attention to this lovely city...even more so due to the fact you have to be back on board by 23;00hr...

That being said; INFINITY, just out of drydock for ''Solsticization 2.0 ", has all the bells and whistles..and is a sibling to SUMMIT which you've already sailed on. ( also been solsticized in January); it does have at least twice the choice of eateries ( ''pay for'' and ''free''). However,in the process of being ''upgraded'',she lost 30% of her top deck observation lounge ( a brutal shame, in my opinion ) to the new kids area. And you very correctly opined this may not appeal to kids, as natural light might very well distract them away from the real intent of a 'closed'' kids area..

Century is the grand old dame of the fleet, seems to always attract the best attitude out of an already phenomenal crew, and is maintained in sterling fashion. Much cosier than the ''M'' class ( specially now that they've lost some public space ratio ) and she pioneered Murano and the Ice martini bar. in 2006.

My opinion ( based on 6 Alaska sailings and having sailed both ships of concern here ); Sail the Vancouver round tripper.

Happy sailing

Cheers

We are looking forward to our Celebrity Century sailing in 2 weeks. We were on Infinity to Alaska in 2001 (out of Vancouver) and again in 2009 (out of Seattle). We also did the Mercury twice out of Vancouver. I do much prefer the inside passage trips compared to the outside Vancouver Island ones. There really is no comparison in terms of scenic beauty.

Infinity was absolutely magnificent in 2001. We sailed her just months after she launched. 8 years later, she was definitely showing her age. But with the recent "Solsticizing", she should be pretty nice now. But I am concerned about the loss of public space, and the new emphasis on up-charged specialty restaurants!

Glad to hear from your experiences that the Century has a good staff, and may be reminiscent of our earlier days on Infinity and Mercury. With only one small specialty restaurant, I'm hoping the MDR food will be of higher quality since there is little more you can do. We are splurging for Murano's on one night...our 10th anniversary night :)

Have a great cruise in July!

Archived