Wedding ring question for the ladies

dettlja

So every travel guide ever written advises not to wear "flashy" jewelry when traveling.

So, Im curious what you ladies do about your wedding rings when cruising and visiting less affluent ports of call.

Do you still wear your rings? Or do you just wear a simple band or in some other way "downsize" to avoid making yourself a target?

I am fortunate enough to have a very nice wedding set. I often question whether I should leave it at home and wear something less expensive when we travel, or wear no ring at all. But I hate not wearing my ring- guess Im still a newlywed (3 yrs) but Im proud to be married and I feel naked without my ring on.

Im curious to hear others take on this... please share.

Jaimee

I usually do not travel with my wedding ring, oftentimes leaving it in my parents' safe instead of taking it on our vacations. It isn't all that flashy, but I still worry about keeping it safe, especially when we're planning to be at the beach or doing more adventurous activities. It would be devastating to me if I lost it!

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Depending on the port, I either wear it, or I leave it and my engagement ring in the safe.

I bring and wear my wedding band/engagement ring combination while on the ship, and switch to a CZ set I got at the Home Shopping Outlet in Brandon. I think I paid $36 for both pieces, and it does the trick.

I have never been stopped, nor have I ever had either set stolen from me.

You can probably find something real cheap (under $100 for both pieces) at Claire's, via Amazon, HSN/QVC, etc.

I was blessed with a beautiful set - I designed it - one of a kind. I wear mine 24/7/365 - it NEVER comes off - actually it takes real effort to get it off for cleaning and I like it that way - no stick-up guy is gonna hang around long enough for me to get it off! I can wear it for every activity - swimming, snorkeling, whatever without fear of losing it. That's what I am comfortable with - you should find your comfort level but if it is at all loose - definitely do not wear it swimming!

I never take my good jewelry with me cruising. It stays at home. I have collected "cruise jewelry" over the years and keep adding to my collection. During the days, I only wear earrings--don't like tan lines on my hands and wrists. In the evenings, I break out the crazy cocktail rings and earrings and bracelets purchased strictly for cruising. So much fun.

I wear my plain (no stones) wedding ring when traveling. I leave the engagment, 25 year and 35 year rings at our safe deposit box as well as the "good" necklace and earrings. I decided on the safe deposit box after a friend had her home broken into while she was away. They can have my TV etc. but the stuff that has emotional weight for me goes in the box. That of course doesn't mean I won't lose it or have it taken from me at the grocery store.

I leave my wedding rings at home as I am not comfortable traveling with it.

I put in the bank Safety deposit box.

I have a lot of faux jewelry i travel with.

My husband bought me a gold and silver DAvid Yurman wedding band for our 20th anniversary and that is my new travel wedding ring. (We renewed our vows with it so it also feels special.)

My fear about leaving jewelry in the stateroom safe is what you do if there is an emergency like the Costa.

I would hate to lose everything forever..

Plus i find you can bargain and get better deals with non flashy jewelry.

I have a travel ring that I use in place of my wedding and engagement rings. I also have simple earings to wear when I travel. While I enjoy my rings, I would hate to have something happen to them.

I wear my wedding rings on cruises. They fit very snugly and I am not afraid of losing them. If I remember correctly, my first cruise I left my wedding set at home and used another ring in its place. That was my first cruise only.

I have a very nice engagement ring. But I have a rather modest two tone band for a wedding ring. So when I travel I just wear my band it is very nice and was my parents so it is 60+ years old. I leave the bling at home. Everyone tried to talk me into a blingy wedding band and my husband would have gotten one if I had wanted it but. We travel so often I wanted a less flashy band..

I wear a plain gold band and my family ring which is just a plain band of stones. I also leave my geo watch at home (which is a very expensive gift from our daughter) and wear a $14 WalMart watch. To be honest I never look at other people jewelery and actually if I see something really flashy and big I think its fake anyway - I can't tell the good stuff from fake just by looking at it. I just don't want to take any kind of chance with things that are really important to me.

Ps a basic theif can not tell the difference between real of fake stones at a glance. So make sure to not have anything flashy even if it is fake. It could make you a target

I am of the "it's just stuff" persuasion. I wear my rings everywhere. If something were to happen, either traveler's or homeowner's insurance would likely cover it. I love my engagement ring and dh and I have beautiful matching wedding bands, but everything could be replaced.

I leave all my jewelry in the stateroom safe. The only jewelry I wear are small earrings. Nothing that can be grabbed.

I, too, am fortunate to have a nice wedding band. I don't want to leave it at home. I Wear it on the ship and only take it off for excursions.

I also do not carry a purse or tote bag. I wear cargo pants (the result of almost losing my wallet in Cartgena) and my wallet is very deep in my pocket. My husband carries an inexpensive bag with snacks and water. If we are visiting a port with known problems, I leave my good camera in the room and carry a small pocket-size camera.

Shirley

I don't wear mine in port after a woman in a jewelry store in Cozumel grabbed my hand and phyically tried to remove them for a "free" cleaning on our first cruise. No way was I letting them take my rings to the back.

The jeweler when we originally bought them also told me never to swim in them - both because the colder water can shrink your fingers and you can lose them and because chlorine is one of the only things that can damage a diamond.

We just returned from the Dream and in Roatan witnessed a woman lose her wedding ring.

Her and her husband were beside us in loungers.

She returned after being in the water, crying her eyes out.

Her husband asked what happened and she said that when she got out of the water she realized her ring was gone.

He was NOT happy at all.

He went on and on about the 4 carat.. YES, FOUR CARAT ring.

Finally we picked up our things and excused ourseleves to the other side of the beach.

Ouch.

Make sure both pieces are fully insured.

I always travel with mine. I would be heart broken if either were stolen or lost but at the end of the day they are only objects and can be replaced.

That being said, I will probably leave both on the ship while in port on our upcoming cruise given the current "climate" (of crime) in Mexico.

Make sure both pieces are fully insured.

I always travel with mine. I would be heart broken if either were stolen or lost but at the end of the day they are only objects and can be replaced.

That being said, I will probably leave both on the ship while in port on our upcoming cruise given the current "climate" (of crime) in Mexico.

While "things" can always be replaced, you can't put a price on sentimental value.

I have my own set bought by my hubby but I also have a set that belonged to my grandmother when she married my grandfather in 1947. Though the diamond is small and the dollar value on her rings is probably very little, I would be devestated if I lost them as they can never be replaced. She passed away in 2004 and she wore these rings till the day she died. I wear them on special occasions.

A couple of years ago I had lost a lot of weight and had not had my wedding ring and engagement ring cut down. After wearing them for 43 years, I lost them either in the grocery store or the parking lot. They were so loose that they just fell off and I didn't notice until I was driving home and realized they were gone. I went back to the store and my husband met me. We looked for hours inside and out and I was crying hysterically the entire time. I filed a police report and posted signs at the store and even ran a $300 ad in the newspaper. I cried for days. That was one of the most heartbreaking things I have ever gone through. So do everything you can to protect your rings. I would hate for anyone else to go through that. It was like a death of a close family member.

I struggle with this every time we cruise. My rings are very sentimental to me and I never take them off. However every time there's an issue in one of the ports it makes me rethink wearing them off the ship. Mine are soldered together so they do not come off unless I pull them off. Never had a fear of them slipping off. I've considered buying a fake set but hate the thought of taking my real ones off :(

I disagree that they are just things - my engagement ring is a brown star sapphire that we had set - in the scheme of things it is not a 4 carat diamond but more precious to me. The mine where it came from in South America was exhausted about 19 years ago so I would never be able to have it replaced. I am willing to leave it at home for 1 week rather than lose it for a lifetime. I wear it all the time otherwise except of course when I go fishing - walleye guts are not compatible.

Archived