Decent Coffe on QM2

mrjohnson

Hi all,

We're going on the mediterranean cruise QM2 next week.

I expect the coffee at the buffet breakfast will be horrible 'brewed' style, but what about britannia. And do any of the bars/lounges have expresso machines to make a decent coffee/cappuccino

Sadly I have an addiction, and instant/brewed coffee doesn't really cut it.

Many thanks,

MJ :eek: (me after 2 double espressos)

Hi all,

We're going on the mediterranean cruise QM2 next week.

I expect the coffee at the buffet breakfast will be horrible 'brewed' style, but what about britannia. And do any of the bars/lounges have expresso machines to make a decent coffee/cappuccino

Sadly I have an addiction, and instant/brewed coffee doesn't really cut it.

Many thanks,

MJ :eek: (me after 2 double espressos)

THE COFFEE ONTH SHIP WAS NO TO MY LIKING SO I ALWAYS ORDERED DOUBLE EXPRESSO. I WAS NEVER DENIED ALTHOUGH SOME TIMES I HAD TO WAIT. VERY GOOD EXPRESSO

• 1 year later...

I too have resorted to the double espresso or occasionally dumping a single espresso in the regular coffee cup. However, I now pay the extra to get "real" coffee at Sir Samuels - although even there, I generally ask for an extra shot of the rich black stuff. A few dollars and I'm good to go the rest of the day. Bring or buy your own traveling mug so you don't have to wander around with their cardboard....

I have never ever had a good cup of coffee on the QE2, from Mauretania to every other restaurant - passable last year in QG. So now I bring my own coffee - a small filter cup, some filters, a supply of my own ground beans (I've been thinking about taking a small grinder but decided that might be overindulging my addiction) - and all you need is boiling water.

It used to infuriate me that so mucvh attention was paid to providing excellent food and liquor and so little to providing good coffee. I am similarly saddened by the descent from a wide variety of brewed teas to a few choices of teabag tea...

I found the coffee to be pretty decent. The one time I tried to get coffee in the buffet, it was empty (the coffee urn, not the buffet.)

We had room service coffee daily and also in the Princess Grill for breakfast, lunch and dinner (decaf.) The coffee in Todd English was also quite good (also decaf.)

What do you mean by brewed coffee? I understand instant, but not brewed. I've been on ships where they don't even give you half and half for room service; just the little containers of who-knows-what chemicals mixed with sugar and fat masquerading as a coffee lightener.

--Judy

I too have resorted to the double espresso or occasionally dumping a single espresso in the regular coffee cup. However, I now pay the extra to get "real" coffee at Sir Samuels - although even there, I generally ask for an extra shot of the rich black stuff. A few dollars and I'm good to go the rest of the day. Bring or buy your own traveling mug so you don't have to wander around with their cardboard....

I have never ever had a good cup of coffee on the QE2, from Mauretania to every other restaurant - passable last year in QG. So now I bring my own coffee - a small filter cup, some filters, a supply of my own ground beans (I've been thinking about taking a small grinder but decided that might be overindulging my addiction) - and all you need is boiling water.

It used to infuriate me that so mucvh attention was paid to providing excellent food and liquor and so little to providing good coffee. I am similarly saddened by the descent from a wide variety of brewed teas to a few choices of teabag tea...

I have had one cup of coffee on QE2 - in the Queens' Grill - on my first night on board. It was dreadful.

I only have double espresso after dinner, but that's it - too much coffee isn't good for me.

I've never been charged for a double espresso though - I'd be horrified if I was.

I agree about the tea too. Almost tempted to take some nice tea bags with me next month!

We enjoyed the Princess Grill espresso last May. But, you may want to reflect on something we were told in one of the Oxford Lectures by an Oxford don quoting a visiting American scholar: I know the differences in how we speak English. We say "elevator", you say "lift". Our cars have "windshields", yours have "windscreens". We have "gasoline", you call it "coffee".

I agree about the tea too. Almost tempted to take some nice tea bags with me next month!

We drink loose tea at home. We did take that last year, but it was so much fuss we hardly used it - it was much easier to order from room service!

We enjoyed the Princess Grill espresso last May. But, you may want to reflect on something we were told in one of the Oxford Lectures by an Oxford don quoting a visiting American scholar: I know the differences in how we speak English. We say "elevator", you say "lift". Our cars have "windshields", yours have "windscreens". We have "gasoline", you call it "coffee".

Laugh out loud! How true!!!

I guess while I am in London I will definitely stop at Fortnum and Mason and pick up some Fort Mason Tea. I have one question is the room service coffee better than the other coffee? I really just want a morning cup to wake me up and then I drink Tea throughout the day and a cocktail before dinner and perhaps some wine with dinner. I really like the Cunard board all of you are so helpful and friendly and I thank you so much. Happy Sailing, Joy

Originally Posted by mrjohnson

do any of the bars/lounges have expresso machines to make a decent coffee/cappuccino

The best coffee by far on the QM2 is at Sir Samuels Wine Bar. There are cappucino and esspresso machines here. This is also a nice alternative spot for lunch or a snack as they have a sandwich menu. My favorite place aboard ship to sip coffee every morning.

Cruiserking

Archived