Grand Cayman with my 77 year old grandmother

renee1222

My very active 77 year old grandmother and I (early 30s) will be visiting Grand Cayman in January. She gets around wonderfully without any assistance, but I'm sure that we will not be snorkeling and she might not want to spend all day in the hot sun at a beach. What are your recommendations for maybe some light shopping/walking and maybe lunch in port?

The tender boats drop you right in the heart of George Town. There is plenty of shopping in the area as well as the Cayman Islands National Museum. Town is relatively small, just a few square blocks. Lunch at Breezes By the Bay or Guy Harvey's provide nice views of the water from their balcony dining.

Many older guests enjoy some of the less rigorous outings such as an island tour stopping at the Turtle Farm and the Rum Cake factory. A submarine ride or a semi-submersible boat ride offers a view of the underwater world (climbing stairs is required for boarding) and boats depart right from George Town.

Thanks for your reply. I have been looking at some island tours that sound reasonable. I will also check with her about a possible boat tour. Stairs should not be a problem. Thanks for the lunch recommendations as well!

The tender boats drop you right in the heart of George Town. There is plenty of shopping in the area as well as the Cayman Islands National Museum. Town is relatively small, just a few square blocks. Lunch at Breezes By the Bay or Guy Harvey's provide nice views of the water from their balcony dining.

Many older guests enjoy some of the less rigorous outings such as an island tour stopping at the Turtle Farm and the Rum Cake factory. A submarine ride or a semi-submersible boat ride offers a view of the underwater world (climbing stairs is required for boarding) and boats depart right from George Town.

I will second this post. When I took my mom, we did a tour of the turtle farm, Hell and Rum Cake factory which only lasted about 4 hours. Then we went on teh Atlantis submarine, walked around town and ate at Breezes' by the Bay

Atlantis submarine is right by the south tender terminal. Just book them directly online or walk in. No need to arrange this through a tour.

Many tour bus operators offer a quick island tour with stops at the Turtle Farm, Hell, and Rum Cake Factory. You'll see the tour operators with their signs at the port.

Archived