Pearl Thermal Suite - Thalasso Pool Ladder?

Liffey

DH and I are really excited to be going on our first Norwegian cruise (and first Alaska cruise) this summer.

One of the reasons we chose NCL (other than the freestyle philosophy - so happy to not have to hope for Your Time Dining or beg for a two-top on Carnival this time!) is because Pearl has a thermal suite. I know it's not fully co-ed like the one we've enjoyed so many times on Carnival Splendor (alas), but I'm sure it's still really great.

I have a question about getting in and out of the thalasso pool, though. From what I can see online, it looks like there's a vertical ladder in and out, as opposed to the gradual steps on Carnival's ships. If so, do the steps on the ladder go down pretty far so that it's easy to use?

I have a tricky knee, plus I'm an "extra fluffy" gal, so a vertical ladder might be a problem. :) It just depends on how deep the pool is and how deep the ladder goes, which is hard to tell from photos. Can anyone share their experiences? Thanks!

DH and I are really excited to be going on our first Norwegian cruise (and first Alaska cruise) this summer.

One of the reasons we chose NCL (other than the freestyle philosophy - so happy to not have to hope for Your Time Dining or beg for a two-top on Carnival this time!) is because Pearl has a thermal suite. I know it's not fully co-ed like the one we've enjoyed so many times on Carnival Splendor (alas), but I'm sure it's still really great.

I have a question about getting in and out of the thalasso pool, though. From what I can see online, it looks like there's a vertical ladder in and out, as opposed to the gradual steps on Carnival's ships. If so, do the steps on the ladder go down pretty far so that it's easy to use?

I have a tricky knee, plus I'm an "extra fluffy" gal, so a vertical ladder might be a problem. :) It just depends on how deep the pool is and how deep the ladder goes, which is hard to tell from photos. Can anyone share their experiences? Thanks!

The ladders are straight vertical..they are a little tricky and from what I remember don't o all the way down. I'm pretty tall so I always struggle a bit with ladders, but not too bad overall. :)

The ladder is straight down, no steps or stairs, and the whirlpool above the big pool is a bit tricky with a very high last step, but I'm a little fluffy myself and I was able to get around pretty well and I had an ankle injury during our cruise that required surgery two months later. I have to say, for an Alaska cruise, there is nothing better than being out at sea and being able to watch the waves, the gray skies, and the rain driving against the front of the ship as you enjoy a cup of hot tea and a rest on the very large lounging chairs. The tile warming beds are nice as well, not sure of the 'real name' but these were heaven after a brisk walk on deck. And, don't worry, everyone has issues with their bodies and let me tell you, I didn't see any Sports Illustrated models in there, lounging about. I saw fellow travelers that were enjoying a relaxing morning in total comfort before embarking on a trip of a lifetime. Enjoy and don't let anything take away from your fun. :)

OH, and if you pay for a massage, tell them you don't want to buy ANYTHING no matter how good it is BEFORE your massage, just start rubbing because they go into a spiel and your relaxation just wafts away as they keep talking and talking and selling......:eek:

OH, and if you pay for a massage, tell them you don't want to buy ANYTHING no matter how good it is BEFORE your massage, just start rubbing because they go into a spiel and your relaxation just wafts away as they keep talking and talking and selling......:eek:

Interesting. My wife and I got one of those 25 min massages from the honeymoon package on PoA and they didn't say a thing to us except for to tell us what we needed to do to get in position.

Interesting. My wife and I got one of those 25 min massages from the honeymoon package on PoA and they didn't say a thing to us except for to tell us what we needed to do to get in position.

It was AFTER the massage. We were laying there and they wanted to sell us THIS and THAT and by the time we told them no several times, my relaxation just seemed to drift away. :mad:

Thanks all. :) Having loved the suite so much on Splendor, I think we'd kick ourselves if we didn't try it on Pearl, tricky knees and ladders and all. I don't think it will be too bad, but I'll keep my expectations low and report back in July. :)

It was AFTER the massage. We were laying there and they wanted to sell us THIS and THAT and by the time we told them no several times, my relaxation just seemed to drift away. :mad:

Wow, that sucks. They left after ours. Came back with the bill envelopes for us to sign and left. *shrugs*

Wow, that sucks. They left after ours. Came back with the bill envelopes for us to sign and left. *shrugs*

Hi!

I always write on the form that you have to fill out "No product sales please" Ive seen others on this board say they do the same thing. It seems to work.

I am on the Pearl June 10 to Alaska - cannot wait!

Terry

Hi!

I always write on the form that you have to fill out "No product sales please" Ive seen others on this board say they do the same thing. It seems to work.

I am on the Pearl June 10 to Alaska - cannot wait!

Terry

We will be on that cruise with you as well. Still trying to get the wife interested in the spa but she doesn't like anyone "touching" her so any "massages" are a tough sell but pedis and such may be the ticket

Edited by ndabunka

To the OP, you can tour the facility before you buy the pass and make sure it looks ok to you. Have SO MUCH fun on your cruise!

When I have a treatment I always tell them I have ALL their products, I LOVE them, and I always buy them online! They give me their "code" for a discount and that's the last I ever hear of a sales pitch!

OP - Was recently on the Pearl and was hesitant about the spa since not a spa person...fluffy, etc... However, the amenities of the spa area were terrific and I went every day, especially enjoying the whirlpools and sauna. Spent more time in private areas than coed since quieter but always took advantage of a heated lounger for a few minutes.

One thing folks seem not to realize is if you get a dozen people in the thalo pool and they all are trying to talk above the water, it can ruin the peaceful calm through the whole coed area but that only happened a couple of times. There might be more people using it on an Alaska trip so figured that should be mentioned.

Think the girls realized the first day there wouldn't be extra sales so they always just greeted me nicely. I don't remember the name of the dark-haired girl from Europe who was mostly at the desk but she was very sweet and Maybelle and Luz (? sp on both) were both darling. Wish I were going again soon......envy you! Have a fantastic trip!

My wife is 'fluffy challenged" and she has two bad knees, but the ladder when almost to the bottom and she managed, there was no long step. the thermal pool however was a different story. the reach from the last outside step to the top inside step is a long reach and a wide stradle, - she slipped and had a terrible time getting out of the predicament. She stayed away from the thermal the rest of the cruise. So watch the last step and watch the straddle.

• 4 years later...
My wife is 'fluffy challenged" and she has two bad knees, but the ladder when almost to the bottom and she managed, there was no long step. the thermal pool however was a different story. the reach from the last outside step to the top inside step is a long reach and a wide stradle, - she slipped and had a terrible time getting out of the predicament. She stayed away from the thermal the rest of the cruise. So watch the last step and watch the straddle.

These comments are all quite dated and I haven't found this addressed recently. Does anyone know if these issues have been addressed? Should someone with bad knees consider that before attempting the ladder?

These comments are all quite dated and I haven't found this addressed recently. Does anyone know if these issues have been addressed? Should someone with bad knees consider that before attempting the ladder?

I have no idea what that poster is talking about. There's a ladder to get into the pool--others described it--it's just a vertical ladder. No straddling of anything... I was just on the Pearl in Sept/Oct and had a spa pass.

Maybe he's confused and is talking about the elevated hot tub...

We are going on the Pearl in March 2017. First cruise after the refurbishing. Our son loves going to the kids club and my husband and I are thinking about getting a spa pass for the times during the cruise when we are childless :)

I was just wondering what is coed and what is not. I guess we don't want to spend the money if we can't enjoy most of it together.

You'll be able to enjoy most of it together. In the women's area are a couple of tubs, showers, and I believe there's a sauna there as well. The co-ed area has loungers, heated ceramic loungers, the therapy tool and a hot tub. I know I found a video tour of the spa on You Tube before I sailed on the Pearl. If you look at that, it should give you a good feel for it.

I have no idea what that poster is talking about. There's a ladder to get into the pool--others described it--it's just a vertical ladder. No straddling of anything... I was just on the Pearl in Sept/Oct and had a spa pass.

Maybe he's confused and is talking about the elevated hot tub...

Thanks Quilting, I'm glad to hear this. I'll be onboard for the first time in January and plan to spend as much time in the spa as possible. Everything I've read rates The Pearl's spa as one of the best.

You'll be able to enjoy most of it together. In the women's area are a couple of tubs, showers, and I believe there's a sauna there as well. The co-ed area has loungers, heated ceramic loungers, the therapy tool and a hot tub. I know I found a video tour of the spa on You Tube before I sailed on the Pearl. If you look at that, it should give you a good feel for it.

Awesome! Thank you!

Thanks Quilting, I'm glad to hear this. I'll be onboard for the first time in January and plan to spend as much time in the spa as possible. Everything I've read rates The Pearl's spa as one of the best.

It's really good! I've had spa passes on the Pearl, the Jade, and the Epic. Epic's was the best--I like the pool better and there was a large balcony with loungers. I'll be on the Pearl again next year and plan to get another spa pass. :p

Don't miss the sauna. :) Yes it is not in the co-ed area, and you most certainly don't want to be wearing anything with metal on it. Over 180F gives you a sweat that takes all the toxins from the day before out - or gives them a good start. If you are healthy and brave, then to the plunge pool. Invigorating.;) Follow the the time recommendations - it is a stress on your body. But you are better for it. And if a naked 300 lb cruiser bothers you.....:eek:

• 1 month later...