Rum Point-Don't Miss it!

boatbunny

Boatbunny and all:

I accessed the Cico Avis site at work today (Internet Explorer) and just now on Firefox. All seems well. Now- if we ever get to Grand Cayman.... If not we'll pack sweaters for our northern cruise.(Would prefer Alaska over Canada)- I'm referring to the 7/25 RCCL Voyager to Bermuda that went north to Canada instead this week.

We were in Frances last summer, so we're bringing tour books for the Caribbean and Atlantic Canada! (were there on the Serenade 2 years ago).

Hey Sealegs,

If you do end up traveling the New England coastline, give me a holler! I'm only 20 mins out of Portsmouth NH and 40 mins from Portland ME (where I lived for many years!) I'd be happy to be your personal tour guide! LOL Plus we still have a lot of family (albeit they are in their 80's) up in Prince Edward Island, and believe me, you've never been to a lobster bake until you've been to one on PEI, which of course includes plenty of moonshine! You won't care nor will you know whether you're sitting on a beach in PEI or GC! LOL!!

Thanks for the CICO update, they never returned my email, I was hoping when they realized how much business I was sending their way, they'd hook me up with a free car rental!

Michelle

boatbunny,

From the great review of your experience, DH and I have decided to do the same thing you did in GC!! Thank you :D We'll be there aboard the Carnival Conquest on 10/13/05.

I've been once and did a stingray swim and it was neat. DH has not been and I wanted him to swim with the 'rays, but honestly we're both a little skittish with all the recent shark attacks--in Destin, FL mind you, not in GC, but still...:(

Anyway, we'll rent a jeep or car and drive to Rum Point--just like you did! Probably put our feet in the water for a bit, enjoy some lunch and those hammocks. I'm really looking forward to the scenic drive.

THANKS SO MUCH for taking time to post all the info and links. It's a great help.

If you are still interested in seeing the Stingrays, Nativeway Sports does an excursion called Rays Reef & Rum. You first go out and feed the stingrays, then on to snorkle a bit, then off to rum point for lunch and beach time. We just booked this for $55.00/person.

boatbunny,

From the great review of your experience, DH and I have decided to do the same thing you did in GC!! Thank you :D We'll be there aboard the Carnival Conquest on 10/13/05.

I've been once and did a stingray swim and it was neat. DH has not been and I wanted him to swim with the 'rays, but honestly we're both a little skittish with all the recent shark attacks--in Destin, FL mind you, not in GC, but still...:(

Anyway, we'll rent a jeep or car and drive to Rum Point--just like you did! Probably put our feet in the water for a bit, enjoy some lunch and those hammocks. I'm really looking forward to the scenic drive.

THANKS SO MUCH for taking time to post all the info and links. It's a great help.

You are very welcome! I am hoping to be opening my new pastry shop (big career change for me, from mortgage banking for 22 years to fine european pastry!) at the beginning of October, I have a feeling I will think of you and remembering that relaxing day at GC by Oct. 15th!

Have an awesome trip, be sure to check out the deserted beach where we saw the starfish, that was totally amazing.

Michelle

We just got back and spent a lot of time and cab fare to get to Rum Point and the snorkeling was not that great. We did find out about another spot that was much better and close to the dock. I posted a trip report at the Activity Guide message board. It won't let me type it in for some reason but you can do a search under Cayman Activity Guide Message Board. They have videos of everything there too.

We just got back and spent a lot of time and cab fare to get to Rum Point and the snorkeling was not that great. We did find out about another spot that was much better and close to the dock. I posted a trip report at the Activity Guide message board. It won't let me type it in for some reason but you can do a search under Cayman Activity Guide Message Board. They have videos of everything there too.

I'm sorry you didn't have a great experience, but I thought I was pretty descriptive in my posts that Rum Point is NOT the place if you are looking for a snorkeling excursion. It is a great place for a beach day, and if you want to try a little snorkeling, there are some fish under the pier, but again, it's not the Coral Gardens. The beach is calm, clean, and beautiful, perfect for a relaxing day at the beach, renting some water toys like wave runners, and just floating in the crystal clear water.

I'm not sure if you read this thread before you went, but I also explained that it is a 45 min drive to Rum Point from the pier, so of course cab fare is going to be expensive. Renting a car is a far more economical way of getting there.

For those looking for more snorkeling, but still want to see Rum Point, there are a couple of good references on these boards for companies that do Reef, Ray, and Rum Point, giving you snorkeling in the reefs, swimming with the stingrays, and lunch/beach time at Rum Point.

If you are still interested in seeing the Stingrays, Nativeway Sports does an excursion called Rays Reef & Rum. You first go out and feed the stingrays, then on to snorkle a bit, then off to rum point for lunch and beach time. We just booked this for $55.00/person.

Thanks, but I did try that first. They don't do it on the day (a Thursday) that I'll be there. :(

We were at Rum Point on July 20th as part of the Nativeway tour. As we approached Rum Point I could tell that we would love it. When we got there I just kept thinking that it was so beautiful and relaxing. I wish we could've spent all day there. My husband said he would've been happy staying there for the rest of his life. The kids rented a water bike while we enjoyed the mudslides. Oh, how we long to go back. It was one of the most beautiful places I've seen. It was a day we won't soon forget.

Thanks Fern, your post has me so excited to go! This will be our first cruise and first trip to GC. I am really looking forward to it. Did you do the Ray, Reef, Rum tour? If so, about how long were you at Rum Point? That's what I'm most excited about. Not real excited about the rays, but everyone says it's a must do, so we'll give it a try. Have never snorkled and since this is our 1st port, we figured it would be best to try it and see if we like it and want to do it in other ports or not. But the beach sounds amazing, can't wait to kick back and relax!

We were at Rum Point on July 20th as part of the Nativeway tour. As we approached Rum Point I could tell that we would love it. When we got there I just kept thinking that it was so beautiful and relaxing. I wish we could've spent all day there. My husband said he would've been happy staying there for the rest of his life. The kids rented a water bike while we enjoyed the mudslides. Oh, how we long to go back. It was one of the most beautiful places I've seen. It was a day we won't soon forget.

Hi Fern, I am so glad you enjoyed Rum Point, my husband and I agree with you, it is the most beautiful place I've seen. SO much so, it has seriously become part of our retirement plan!

Boatbunny, We liked your review and have decided to rent a car from Avis and go out to Rum Point. It sounds beautiful.(stopping along the way to do some snorkeling) We went to the site you spoke of "Cico Avis" and got a really great rate. My consern is it came back and said Form Confirmation...Thank you for submitting the following information...and then the info... is that your reservation or will we hear something more from them? Thanks for your review.. Did you say you had some pictures? Thanks again. Rlyans

Boatbunny, We liked your review and have decided to rent a car from Avis and go out to Rum Point. It sounds beautiful.(stopping along the way to do some snorkeling) We went to the site you spoke of "Cico Avis" and got a really great rate. My consern is it came back and said Form Confirmation...Thank you for submitting the following information...and then the info... is that your reservation or will we hear something more from them? Thanks for your review.. Did you say you had some pictures? Thanks again. Rlyans

Hi, you might get a quick email from them, but they really don't get too official. You can send them an email to reconfirm, they will respond but it may take a few days. Not to worry, they have your reservation. It really is a laid back operation just because they live in a laid back environment, but you will be very happy with their service and the vehicle.

I do have some pics, never figured out how to post them here, so email me at my personal email and I'll be happy to forward them to you.

smdbelskis@prodigy.net

Michelle

Well, our plans for our Christmas Cruise are coming together nicely. Reserved 3 cars for our group of 12 from Cisco and received confirmatiuon numbers back from them (I was quite surprised as I had confirmation #'s within 2 days). So we can now explore Grand Cayman and finally check out Rum Point that I have been reading so much about. Actually I was there 25 years ago but remeber absolutely nothing about it. :cool: Do they rent snorkle equipment there or do we need to bring our own? Aslo we have a few folks who are not all day beach people an hour or two is max. Would they have time to do a short visit of the Turtle Farm and then drive out to Rum Point?

Well, our plans for our Christmas Cruise are coming together nicely. Reserved 3 cars for our group of 12 from Cisco and received confirmatiuon numbers back from them (I was quite surprised as I had confirmation #'s within 2 days). So we can now explore Grand Cayman and finally check out Rum Point that I have been reading so much about. Actually I was there 25 years ago but remeber absolutely nothing about it. :cool: Do they rent snorkle equipment there or do we need to bring our own? Aslo we have a few folks who are not all day beach people an hour or two is max. Would they have time to do a short visit of the Turtle Farm and then drive out to Rum Point?

You should be able to rent snorkeling equipment through Red Sail Sports. Check out their website just in case.

As far as visiting both Turtle Farm and Rum Point, it would be hard. Turtle Farm is located on the opposite side of the island. I've given a link in previous posts in this thread for a good map of GC. You might want to take a minute to download it and you'll see what I am talking about. I would say it is about a 1/2 hour drive to the Turtle Farm, then you'd have to head back to Georgetown, and then onto Rum Point which is about a 45 min drive from Georgetown. So, consider doing all of this would be almost 3 hours of driving time, not to mention the time you'd spend at the Farm. You wouldn't have much time at Rum Point.

There are lots of shaded areas at Rum Point, including shaded hammocks. So, maybe someone in your party could relax with a good book under the hammock. Also, some of the tables at the Wreck are covered with palm umbrellas.

Boatbunny ~ just happened on this thread...have not had time to read through it all but looks like tons of great information for a visit to Rum Point.

We will be in Grand Cayman on our 3rd visit next year and want to try Rum Point. I actually had a visit from a cousin of mine who worked and lived in Grand Cayman for 8 months and when I asked her about Rum Point she went on and on about how great it was ...she liked it better than 7 mile beach area.

thanks so much for sharing.

Emmy

We will be in GC in Dec and we heard there would be 7 ships at port that same day! We are hoping Rum Point will not be crowded as we know 7 Mile Beach will be. From everything you have said Beachbunny I am so excited to go, it sounds like heaven to me! Does anyone know if the ferry is running yet or might be running in Dec?

Boatbunny, I think you missed your calling in career choices. If you ever become a TA I think you would do quite well. I know there have been many posts regarding time availability but I noticed in your OP that you were in GC on Explorer of the Seas. I will be there in a couple of weeks with EOS. I was a little disappointed when I realized how short our stay is in GC. Ship arrives at 9:30am, departs 5:30pm with tendering in and out. Can you please comment on your own timing to get to shore and when you had to tender back.

I just happened upon this thread too and it's great! We will be in GC in February 2006 and we're seriously considering renting a jeep and driving to Rum Point. The other option might be to go through Nativeway and book the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour. But we'll be there on a Thursday and I read on here (I think from BarbSail) that they were not available on Thursdays. I thought that would give us more things to experience and DH isn't one to want to just lounge around the beach. I've printed off information on both and he's reading it as I type.

They both sounds like a lot of fun to me, but I have a question for all of you who have been to GC. Since we've never been there, are there other things that we'd miss seeing and doing on the island if we spent the day at Rum Point? I've heard that GC is a beautiful island and I just want to make sure that I don't miss any highlights. Thanks!

De

P.S. Michelle, I'm the one that sent you the e-mail to see your pictures.:)

We were in Grand Cayman the week of July 30 and after reading this Board, decided to rent a car from Avis (booked online) and drive to Rum Point. Renting the car was extremely easy. When we got to the Blue Iguana down the street from the dock around 8AM, someone else had already called to be picked up by Avis, so we only had a 2 min. wait. The forms and car were all ready for us. $51 for a Honda Civic all inclusive (insurance, gas, etc.) Driving on the left is easier to get used to than I thought it would be (but every time I wanted to use the turn signal, it was the wipers I turned on). I am glad that I had the opportunity to see a lot of the island on the way to Rum Point. I had never before seen in person the effects of a hurricane. There were huge areas of trees still standing, but stripped bare. Many houses missing roofs or gutted. The island was still beautiful, but a lot of people suffered damage.

I don't want to take anything away from the positive comments made about Rum Point, I just want to point out a few things about Rum Point that were negatives for me. The drive is long if you only plan to spend a couple of hours there. We got behind slow moving vehicles a couple of times and it took 45 minutes to get there. The beach is very pretty, but not very large. The water is pretty shallow...waist deep for quite a way out. There is absolutely nothing to see if you want to snorkel. The food and drinks are VERY expensive: A burger/fries, one coke, and one frozen alcoholic drink cost US$25. (the drink was $9). Perhaps it would cost just as much for food elsewhere, because we had to stop at a grocery store and the item we bought was double the price we would pay at home.

It IS beautiful, very picturesque. If I were going back, I'd do some research on Seven Mile Beach which is a lot closer.

We drove back into town (40 minutes), then on to Hell (i think about 20 min.) The rock formations behind the post office that give Hell its name are interesting to see.

We got back to Avis about 3PM and they took us back to the dock.

Suzan

The food at 7 Mile Beach is equally expensive. We bought 1 burger, 1 hot dog, an order of mozerella sticks and a couple of soft drinks and it was $35 plus tip. I found shopping to be expensive all over the island.

I have read that close to rum point is a beach that has hundreds of starfish. If I take the ferry from the Hyatt (1st week of February), will it be a long walk to that other beach? Hope someone knows. Thanks. Marlyne

Archived