Rum Point-Don't Miss it!

boatbunny

I'm looking forward to everyones report on going to Rum point ,When you return , as I'm excited to do this tour on our own renting the car and getting over there , we will be there on the 15th of feb, GP
thanks for all the great info ,What a help it has been
I can tell you anything you need to know about cozumel we have gone there the last 10 years and this year we decided on the cruise because of wilma but it was a must to stop in cozumel to see the friends we have met over the years, In Cozumel we will be renting a car and touring the Island to our favorite spots , and stopping to visit some people we have met over the years

ANNE

[quote name='anne-1']I'm looking forward to everyones report on going to Rum point ,When you return , as I'm excited to do this tour on our own renting the car and getting over there , we will be there on the 15th of feb, GP
thanks for all the great info ,What a help it has been
ANNE[/QUOTE]

Hi Anne, we are in GC on 2/15 also. We have rented a jeep through Avis and will be driving to Rum Point also. I take it you are not on our cruise since you are also going to Cozumel. We are on Carnival's Liberty and Costa Maya replaced Cozumel.

I too am looking forward to reviews from folks who do the drive on their own.

[quote name='cathyoo']Hi Anne, we are in GC on 2/15 also. We have rented a jeep through Avis and will be driving to Rum Point also. I take it you are not on our cruise since you are also going to Cozumel. We are on Carnival's Liberty and Costa Maya replaced Cozumel.

I too am looking forward to reviews from folks who do the drive on their own.[/quote]
hi Cathy ,
we will be in grand caymen from 12 noon until 7pm on the 15th
we will also be in Majahual mexico, on the 13th Belize on the 14th and Cozumel on the 16th ,
I want to do the drive we have been to caymen 10 years ago and really only stayed on 7 mile beach and did the sub marine tour , which i felt was a waste of $$ at that time , we did not see anything but a staged diver , but it may have been better for others ,
Maybe we will see you at rum point , What times are you there
ANNE

Everyone suggest renting a Jeep. Are the roads in bad shape to need a Jeep? Will a car rental be ok instead? Are the Jeeps air conditioned?
I am going to rent something and go out to Rum Point for the day. Also, is the turtle farm on the way?
Thanks

[quote name='SUNLOVER723']Everyone suggest renting a Jeep. Are the roads in bad shape to need a Jeep? Will a car rental be ok instead? Are the Jeeps air conditioned?
I am going to rent something and go out to Rum Point for the day. Also, is the turtle farm on the way?
Thanks[/quote]

No unfortunatly the Turtle Farm is on the opposite end of the island.

Roads are generally in very good to excellent condition anywhere you might want to travel on Grand Cayman.

I suppose you could put the top up and turn on A/C in a jeep, but why? Kinda' defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Adn teh Turtle Farm is not one the way to much of anything. It's over in West Bay, and a bit of a drive in the worng direction from the cruise ship docks if you're planning on heading out to Rum Point.

We've rented our car. We'd really be disappointed if we didn't get to tender in and go to Rum Point. I have another question. I heard there are colorful seashells at Rum Point. Is this correct? Marlyne

[quote name='M&T'] I heard there are colorful seashells at Rum Point. Is this correct? Marlyne[/quote]

Please note: Rum Point in located in a Replenishment Zone, as designated in the Cayman Marine Law. As such, collecting of conch or lobster is not permitted (even "in season"), nor may echinoderms (sand dollars, sea urchins, and such) be taken. Coral may NEVER be taken from Cayman waters.

Fines are steep for Marine Law violations. We want your visit to be a pleasant one, so if you are not ABSOLUTELY certain about what you are picking up, then please leave it for our next guests to see.

[quote name='M&T']We've rented our car. We'd really be disappointed if we didn't get to tender in and go to Rum Point. I have another question. I heard there are colorful seashells at Rum Point. Is this correct? Marlyne[/quote]

I can understand this. We were very disappointed! Though I guess
I wasn't too surprised as I had been watching Cayman weather on Weather.com for about a month and they seemed to be in a showery rainy pattern. I guess I will just have to plan another trip. :rolleyes:

I would never take any living creature be it sand dollar or conch. In Florida, I have found different colored scallop shells that do not have anything living in them. What do they have at Rum Point? I don't have to take them with me. I just want to see them. Marlyne

We (three couples) have rented an Expedition and are going to Rum Point in February. One of the couples would like to see "Hell". Is it close enough that we'd be able to stop there on our way back to the ship?

De

[quote name='jsaadat']Go to Hell Rande :p just kidding.

Rum point is about 40 minutes from the cruise tender area...... hell is only about 15 minutes away in the other direction.

J[/QUOTE]

LOL Good one! :D

It sounds like it is very doable. I sent in for a map of Grand Cayman, so hopefully we'll be able to use that to help us along.

De

• 2 weeks later...

We will be renting a car from Avis as well . I would like the jeep as we can put the top down , it seems nicer to me , are the jeep wranglers a comfortable drive ,and is there room for 4 with space to pack a few things our friends would like a car for air and more room , my friends think a jeep is a bumpy ride , I do not care about the air , as it is cold here and I would like to feel the sun , they are from a warm climate and like air and room ,

What is your thoughts on jeep verses car , like a Taurus

I just have to add to the chorus of folks saying “do not miss rum point!”. We were there on 1/10/06, and this place is so otherworldly gorgeous, that my husband and I bagged plans for another cruise next January to rent a condo there for a week. There were EIGHT ships in port the day we were there. That’s 20 thousand extra people on GC, and you just never knew it at Rum Point.

As an aside, the beach restaurant had very good food, and I’m very picky.

Hi All,

I booked the jeep yesterday after reading this post. A couple questions. Do you think it would be boaring for teenagers at rum point and Red sail has a store there that they say they will take us to the stingrays. Did anyone do this? I am hoping to not make a reservation and go when I get there. Also I am not the best at direction. I s there anyway I can get so lost I may not make it back and is it safe for a mother and three teenage daughters to make the drive alone?

Hi All,

I booked the jeep yesterday after reading this post. A couple questions. Do you think it would be boaring for teenagers at rum point and Red sail has a store there that they say they will take us to the stingrays. Did anyone do this? I am hoping to not make a reservation and go when I get there. Also I am not the best at direction. I s there anyway I can get so lost I may not make it back and is it safe for a mother and three teenage daughters to make the drive alone?

Directions aren't too complicated --- it is an island after all. How lost can you get? :D

Once you work your way out of the Georgetown area, it's pretty easy. You'll pass through various residential areas, eventually passing through Bodden Town. Things then really start to thin out and the speed limit increases to 50mph.

You'll enter Breakers where the speed limit drops to 25mph, and as you start to head out you'll see The Lighthouse restaurant. Almost exactly one mile past The Lighthouse is the left turn onto Frank Sound Rd.

Frank Sound Rd crosses the island from south to north. Near the north end you'll pass a small gas station and the road will curve around to the left and start to parellel the shore. At that point, it's about 7 more miles straight ahead to Rum Point.

If/when you get lost, stop and ask ANYONE who appears to be a local.

And as to driving safety... just stay on the left.

Safety in other terms... Grand Cayman is perhaps the safest place in the entire Caribbean.

The road that you turn on to go to Rum Point had a tanker truck which was sitting along the side of the road where you turn. It looked like it may have been there for a bit. It was a great marker for us. It's not a big road, and you could easily drive right by.

Driving is a snap. We rented a car from Andy's which had the steering on the left. The drivers there are extremely courteous. After the first day, we had it down. :)

The road that you turn on to go to Rum Point had a tanker truck which was sitting along the side of the road where you turn. It looked like it may have been there for a bit.

We can hope that doesn't become a permanent landmark, but its been there about a month now.

I took nearly a year for one bus to be cleared from a different location on a roundabout (traffic circle to Americans).

Soon come, mon. Ev'ry ting, soon come.

We can hope that doesn't become a permanent landmark, but its been there about a month now.

I took nearly a year for one bus to be cleared from a different location on a roundabout (traffic circle to Americans).

Soon come, mon. Ev'ry ting, soon come.

Well, I'm glad they didn't move the tanker yet...it did help us find our way! :)

We absolutely loved how mellow everyone and everything was down there. We also love that part of the island. Boddentown was really neat. I just wish we could have stayed another week or two! :)

You're one lucky person to live on the island!

Archived