quiet beach

PSkinner

Is there a quiet beach to go to? Really want to relax and enjoy some alone time for our anniversary.

Head out to the YUcatan Villas in Telchac, that will be far enough away that you won't be bothered.

Alternatively walk to the end of the malecon in Progreso and keep walking until you find some quite beach. No vendors there, but there may be construction workers or other folks around.

Head out to the YUcatan Villas in Telchac, that will be far enough away that you won't be bothered.

Alternatively walk to the end of the malecon in Progreso and keep walking until you find some quite beach. No vendors there, but there may be construction workers or other folks around.

We walked down the beach last year and got far enough away that we weren't bothered by anyone. Took our towels and just sat on the beach and enjoyed the view and the waves. I think the beach itself is pleasant and attractive. Not the crystal clear water in Coz but a nice greenish color.

We walked down the beach last year and got far enough away that we weren't bothered by anyone. Took our towels and just sat on the beach and enjoyed the view and the waves. I think the beach itself is pleasant and attractive. Not the crystal clear water in Coz but a nice greenish color.

We went on our tour, and were taken to the Le Casa del Malecon restaurante & Bar, and walked out to the beach from there.

Quiet, secluded and NO vendors whats so ever.

The food was Great, and the beers cold and fresh.

If I knew how to get the pics uploaded here, I would, and will when there is more time.

The beach has lots of seaweed and stuff floating around, but it's still not Northwestern PA, and it was NIIIIIICE!

• 1 month later...
Do any of the hotels along the beach near Progresso have private beaches? Or do you have to travel away from that area? Really don't want to spend the day telling vendors no thank you.

When we were in Progreso 2 weeks ago we traveled to the Reef Club via Autoprogreso. It took about 30 minutes each way but was very pretty. In the past, we just walked way down the beach, away from the pier and finally got far enough away that there was no one else around.

Beaches are considered public lands so hotels can not claim ownership of them nor restrict access to them. However, if you get far enough away from the crowd, you won't be hassled by vendors.

Keep in mind that the entire coast around Progreso consists of beach front property used by the people of Merida during the hot summer months; beach houses all, large and small. For a secluded beach experience you need to travel some.

Beaches are considered public lands so hotels can not claim ownership of them nor restrict access to them. However, if you get far enough away from the crowd, you won't be hassled by vendors.

Keep in mind that the entire coast around Progreso consists of beach front property used by the people of Merida during the hot summer months; beach houses all, large and small. For a secluded beach experience you need to travel some.

I see Le Saint Bonnet on a Progreso map, how far past there is Buddy's? Do we need to go on past Buddys to get to where there would be less peddlers? We don't mind some but had a friend off of the Elation today tell me that they were "run back to the ship by the peddlers". I think since we are expecting them we may be more comfortable saying "no thank you".

Thanks so much for your insight!!

I see Le Saint Bonnet on a Progreso map, how far past there is Buddy's? Do we need to go on past Buddys to get to where there would be less peddlers? We don't mind some but had a friend off of the Elation today tell me that they were "run back to the ship by the peddlers". I think since we are expecting them we may be more comfortable saying "no thank you".

I've not been to either of these places but I think they are just a couple of blocks from each other or maybe even closer. As far as getting away from the peddlers the cruise before last my hubby and I just walked down the beach away from the pier until we got to any area where no one was. I doubt that we walked more than quarter of a mile before we had the place to ourselves. Once when my daughter and I cruised there alone, we tried to sit on the beach near the pier and the merchants were literally one after the other. We did not enjoy our time on the Progreso beach for that reason only.

I've not been to either of these places but I think they are just a couple of blocks from each other or maybe even closer. As far as getting away from the peddlers the cruise before last my hubby and I just walked down the beach away from the pier until we got to any area where no one was. I doubt that we walked more than quarter of a mile before we had the place to ourselves. Once when my daughter and I cruised there alone, we tried to sit on the beach near the pier and the merchants were literally one after the other. We did not enjoy our time on the Progreso beach for that reason only.

Were there places to get drinks there (down the beach away from pier) or should we bring our own?

Were there places to get drinks there (down the beach away from pier) or should we bring our own?

I just remember thinking we were in a residential area. We brought bottles of water with us and our towels and enjoyed not being bothered by the vendors. We didn't stay a long time because we had a tour booked a few hours after we arrived.

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure where Le Saint Bonnet is. We went to Buddy's on our last trip in Feb of 2011 and planning on going there again Oct 1, 2012 stop. There were peddler's there, a good bit of them, or it seemed that way. I think they just came walking back after a little while. But it was still ok, not bad enough to stop us from going again. Food was awesome, and drinks were too!!

Archived