Wish I knew that before my first cruise...

Orangeguy

So much has been covered, but I will add a couple of things I learned on my last HAL Alaska cruise, and on these boards.

If you are at all interested in Bloody Marys - don't go to just any bar - look for a table/bar set up near the Lido pool in the morning where I was promised "the most luxurious Bloody Mary you will ever have". You pick your own garnishes - large shrimp, asparagas spears, etc. It was fun! And the same price as any "ordinary" bloody mary at any other bar. And he remembered me on future days...

When I returned from my cruise I posted on Facebook "Where is the eggs benedict guy waiting for my order?" At breakfast in the Lido there is a guy at a station who makes not just eggs benedict, but many variations of that. So he has spinach, and cheese sauce, and other ingredients if you don't like the traditional version. There are many variations. I like the traditional eggs benedict, but you may not.

And speaking of the buffet - [B]here's a huge one I wish I knew the first day[/B]. The buffet is arranged in stations - not a cafeteria line. On embarkation, we were all directed to the Lido for lunch. There was this huge line at the start of the buffet, and it wasn't moving. I was hungry, became impatient and settled on HAL's lousy excuse for pizza. By the next day I realized the buffet was arranged in stations, and I should have gone to the station I wanted food from and ordered. The place everyone was waiting was the hot entree area. But I think most of them were waiting because, like me, they didn't know any better, and thought they should all line up at the start of the buffet and wait for those ahead of them to move down the line. There are salad stations, sandwich stations, etc. There was no one at those stations - just people waiting in that line at the beginning of the buffet. So just go to the station you want and order, or, if others are already at that station, order when it's your turn. But don't just stand in that line at the beginning!

HAL, unlike other lines I gather, allows passengers to go out onto the bow of the ship for viewing. We were allowed on the bow when we were approaching/docking in Juneau, as well as during the glacier viewing day. I didn't expect that. It was very cool. And of course, HAL sets a bar up outside that I think had hot, as well as cool, beverages.

I heard something about HAL serving hot pea soup on deck during glacier viewing days but, as much as I was looking for it as I love pea soup, I did not see any on my cruise. Maybe you'll get some.

Have a great time!

[quote name='HamburgAvonLady']Take half as many clothes and TWICE as much $$$$.

Be sure to notify your credit card company that you are traveling (they may aak for your destinations) so your card won't be "frozen" for shopping, etc.

Make copies of your passport, credit cards, health insurance cards, DR. license, and travel insurance policy --- leave one with family, leave one in your carryon, and one with traveling partner.

Extra batteries and memory cards (these are expensive on board and tourist stops).

Keep a sense of humor and a positive attitude.

have a wonderful time !![/QUOTE]
May I suggest you scan and email any important documents and email them to yourself. With identity theft being a concern email allows for a safe place to retain a copy of docuements.

Oh, and the most obvious: try something new! A new experience, a new food, a new cusine. Especially if it's included in your cruise fare, what have you got to lose by stepping out of your comfort zone?

I've done this on cruises by ordering things to eat that I would ever try if I were paying for them. Things like escargot, caviar, sashimi. I wanted to try them, due to the mystique, but wasn't sure I would like them. I got to try them all on cruises, at no additional cost.

And know what? I hate them all! But at least I can say I've tried them.

[quote name='sammiedawg']Spend more time researching the ports of call than worrying about the ship. Holland America is a quality line, they will take good care of you, you will eat well.
Have a plan for each port, life is short you may never get back there again. Take the port information sheet with you, they pass it out the night before each port. Write down the all abord time, have someone in the group be the timekeeper if you are touring independently.
Don't worry in advance about little ship details- what night is formal, who is the entertainer or the CD. Let the ship come to you. Sample some shows, some lectures or events but don't try to do everything on board. Read the daily program, pick and choose.[/quote]

As you check out the daily program and plan your day, keep in mind the things that you came all this way to see. Several years ago on HAL, I was looking forward to a cooking class until I realized that it was only offered when we were sailing through Tracy Arm, which I didn't want to miss. And when I looked more closely at the schedule, I realized that there were more events that I was interested in, but they were scheduled during the Glacier Bay sailing.

[quote name='cavecreekguy']

I heard something about HAL serving hot pea soup on deck during glacier viewing days but, as much as I was looking for it as I love pea soup, I did not see any on my cruise. Maybe you'll get some.

Have a great time![/quote]

Mmm, HAL's pea soup, (and I don't even really like pea soup!), but mmm HAL's version is sooo good, not to mention their chilled fruit soup, bread pudding and so much more. Do try lots of different foods. As well, be sure to try some of the local food in the various ports. I have never tasted better seafood than in Alaska. My kids still talk about the halibut we had in Ketchikan 3 yrs ago.

[B]I NEVER TRAVEL WITHOUT DUCT TAPE![/B]

OR Clothes pins or those larger report "clips"!
Both allow you to keep curtains closed if outside light bothers you.
There are full books out on uses for duct tape!
I have used it for torn clothes,
items making annoying noises with motion, like a loose drawer.
My son used it to fix broken shoe (A teenage thing he was proud of- don't ask).
Uses of duct tape can be quick fixes for so much- (just be careful of residue)

Be careful when you pack that last night. My first cruise we celebrated with new friends and lots of wine on the last evening, before going back to the cabin to pack and put our suitcases outside the door. In the morning I discovered that I had left in my closet clean capris, sandals, a nice white shirt, and....no bra. I had to go through breakfast and all of the disembark desperately trying to be inconspicuous about holding something, anything, in front of my chest. Now I pack before any evening festivities - that's a mistake I'll only make once!

Some people will tell you to get an over the door organizer - I got one - forgot it at home & never missed it - I had 3 in my inside cabin including a 2 year old with all of his stuff.

Ditto clothes pins & other things that make you say "Why?"

Bottle for water on the ship and in port. I hate those little cups. I also bring some of those drink packs to make iced tea and lemon aid. I hate the "ice tea" on board. I can also make iced tea or coffee in my nalgene bottle.

Better footwear for those excursions. Especially for walking on those cobblestones in Europe. (1) Sneakers was a poor choice no matter how much I paid for them; and (2) they gave me away as a tourist.

Don't forget camera stuff - batteries, chargers and extyra data cards - it would be tragic to be without camera in Alaska!
A small night-light is a good thing if you have to get up in the night and don't want to trip over anything.
And justb relax! It is the most wonderful way to travel

[quote name='Orangeguy']About two weeks from now we will be embarking on our first cruise ever. And I was wondering, what are some things you wish you knew before you took your first cruise? I'm posting this on the HAL board because I'm mostly interested in HAL specific tips, but I'd greatly appreciate any generic tips too.

The two biggest things I've learned on the CC boards is that ability to write in items on the breakfast card for room service in the AM once the MDR opens and the many reminders not to forget my passport, but what else should I know before heading of to Seattle?[/QUOTE]

I just wish I knew how enjoyable this crusing would be and that I would be so relaxed.

Archived