TIpping

I love these tipping threads - they make for some of the best entertainment.

Flamers came out fast!

I hated the envelopes. Too much planning to have the right amounts ready at the end of a great cruise.

I'd love to overhear some of the posters at the purser's desk removing tips...

So when and where do you go to adjust your gratuities - and please dont assume I mean downward.

txs

well, people dont usually ajust them upward. usually people just give extra cash to those deserving. but to answer your question, guest services is where you go to ajust tips.

prepaid tips, means you paid them BEFORE your cruise.. i.e. you prepaid them

auto tips, go on if you did not prepay. You do not give permission .. they will be charged automatically to your S&S if you did not prepay.

Sorry I am of the belief that those who remove tips are trying to find a way to tip less .. or else they would leave them alone or add to them.

It is the other way around. If you were to tip cash at the time of service you would easily tip $20+ per day. The auto tip people like it because it allows them to undertip everyone.

It is the other way around. If you were to tip cash at the time of service you would easily tip $20+ per day. The auto tip people like it because it allows them to undertip everyone.

i respectfully disagree. i believe a lot of auto tip people tip extra in cash at the end.

I may be wrong here, someone please correct me if I am, but i believe even if you prepay tips, the staff (waitstaff, cabin stewards, etc) doesnt get any of it until after the cruise. so if you prepay or let the charges go on your seapass, you havent really tipped in advance since you can adjust the tips if you encounter any problems. make sense?

I am sure you are correct.

I don't know I tip at the end.

However, I do have a question for those that are in fear of being outed by "the list", If the staff doesn't see or get any tips until after the cruise why would it make any difference to give them a list before the end of the cruise?

Do the "bosses with the stripes" instruct the staff to browbeat or embarass or otherwise denigrate the customer into putting money onto the sail and sign account?

To pay for service not yet rendered?

I doubt that, and if they do shame on them.

I think the tipping system is antiquated and they need to institute a non-reverable service charge to suppliment the ridiculously low wages they get away with paying THEIR staff. And when they do, the tipping threads will be replaced by poor service threads. That's unfortunately human nature, people will do less for the same result.

BTW the service charge on NCL is (or was last year ) reversable. I did the same thing on their line. I restored what I felt appropriate and tipped cash to the few who I felt earned an extra tip.

I was raised believing a tip is a reward for good service. If it is given in advance or expected in advance it becomes a bribe.

Thesaurus it folks.

I'd love to overhear some of the posters at the purser's desk removing tips...

Yeah, thats the concept for my hidden camera tv show to air on the Lido deck big-screen. Pitched the idea to George Lopez now that he is the big honcho in the comedy/entertainment dept. Edit the funniest moments from the tip-stiffers lines the last day and pair 'em up with cruise footage of the offenders chair-hogging, cutting in line at the buffets, ordering 3 entrees in the MDR and the kill-shot of their smuggled booze and mixers littering their cabin upon debarkation. It won't be hard to find the stars each week as they're special and oblivious to the bounds of decency.

I am sure you are correct.

I don't know I tip at the end.

However, I do have a question for those that are in fear of being outed by "the list", If the staff doesn't see or get any tips until after the cruise why would it make any difference to give them a list before the end of the cruise?

Do the "bosses with the stripes" instruct the staff to browbeat or embarass or otherwise denigrate the customer into putting money onto the sail and sign account?

To pay for service not yet rendered?

I doubt that, and if they do shame on them.

I think the tipping system is antiquated and they need to institute a non-reverable service charge to suppliment the ridiculously low wages they get away with paying THEIR staff. And when they do, the tipping threads will be replaced by poor service threads. That's unfortunately human nature, people will do less for the same result.

BTW the service charge on NCL is (or was last year ) reversable. I did the same thing on their line. I restored what I felt appropriate and tipped cash to the few who I felt earned an extra tip.

I was raised believing a tip is a reward for good service. If it is given in advance or expected in advance it becomes a bribe.

Thesaurus it folks.

I believe the list that was photographed during a Behind the Fun tour was for the current cruise. It kind of makes sense for Carnival to provide the list to the workers so they won't think they got shorted by the cruise line. If a room steward finds 2 of his cabins pulled their pre-paid tips then they can adjust their expectations on how much they'll receive at the end of the cruise. I do feel this list shouldn't have been in an area that a passenger could have access to.

I believe the list that was photographed during a Behind the Fun tour was for the current cruise. It kind of makes sense for Carnival to provide the list to the workers so they won't think they got shorted by the cruise line. If a room steward finds 2 of his cabins pulled their pre-paid tips then they can adjust their expectations on how much they'll receive at the end of the cruise. I do feel this list shouldn't have been in an area that a passenger could have access to.

I'm pretty sure there are no cameras or filming allowed on the Behind the Fun tour so there would be no expectation of any PAX taking photos of any "list." I'd think the existence of any list would allow management to take a closer look at the service those PAX are receiving. Surely there are some poor workers just as there are a lot of cheapskates.

I'm pretty sure there are no cameras or filming allowed on the Behind the Fun tour so there would be no expectation of any PAX taking photos of any "list." I'd think the existence of any list would allow management to take a closer look at the service those PAX are receiving. Surely there are some poor workers just as there are a lot of cheapskates.

If you take the tips off the first day or asap the pax has received no service as of yet therefore there is nothing for the management to take a closer look at.

This is the way I do it.

I believe (my opinion, I am entitled to have ) even if the staff is informed I took the tips off it can only encourage him/her/them/ to do their jobs well to ensure a nice gratuity at the end of the service, as it is supposed to be.

If you take the tips off the last night what service are you yet to receive?

Why would they hurry up in the middle of the night to print out a list for the servers and stewards and show folk to wave at the departing pax?

If such a list exists, and I believe it is stored with Santa's list, it would only make sense to have been issued after the cruise when tips are dispersed.

The cheapskates you guys are referring to are long gone by then.

If you take the tips off the first day or asap the pax has received no service as of yet therefore there is nothing for the management to take a closer look at.

This is the way I do it.

I believe (my opinion, I am entitled to have ) even if the staff is informed I took the tips off it can only encourage him/her/them/ to do their jobs well to ensure a nice gratuity at the end of the service, as it is supposed to be.

If you take the tips off the last night what service are you yet to receive?

Why would they hurry up in the middle of the night to print out a list for the servers and stewards and show folk to wave at the departing pax?

If such a list exists, and I believe it is stored with Santa's list, it would only make sense to have been issued after the cruise when tips are dispersed.

The cheapskates you guys are referring to are long gone by then.

It does exist.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=979991

This is the way I do it.

The Auto-tip is not even added to any account the first day. Yeah, I like to hear a breakdown of the percentage that remove the Auto-tip early in the cruise compared to the percentage that remove it at the end of their cruise. I guarantee you which number will be higher. The ships sail every week, the system has been in place for awhile, so everything must be hunky-dory. Do whatever turns you on.

Saw that when it was originally posted. Didn't believe the validity then nor do I now.

I could be wrong, I have been before, will be again.

If this "list" is given out early in the cruise so the staff can provide bad service, or spit in pax food, or otherwise strongarm paying customers into giving a gratuity shame on the staff,

and an even bigger shame on Carnival.

If the pax remove their tips at the end of the cruise when most of you say they do what difference does the list make???

Unless the room steward is going to slap the pax with it on their way out the door it is useless.

The MDR is not open on debarkation day so the wait staff won't even see you. I guess the buffet staff could be playing guess the cheapos so we can foul the oatmeal, but I doubt it.

The only possible explanation for the list is one where customers have actually complained about something tangible during their cruise and reduced/removed gratuities as a result.

The list is moot.

You OP, and everyone else who is reading this thread are in charge of your own vacation and money. Tip in cash, in the beginning, at the end, prepay, leave the auto tip, remove the auto tip, adjust up/down, whatever, do not let anyone tell you how to spend the money you earned.

The Auto-tip is not even added to any account the first day. Yeah, I like to hear a breakdown of the percentage that remove the Auto-tip early in the cruise compared to the percentage that remove it at the end of their cruise. I guarantee you which number will be higher. The ships sail every week, the system has been in place for awhile, so everything must be hunky-dory. Do whatever turns you on.

Heeheehee what turns mamaskittles on is not a subject for discussion on an open message board lol. I absolutely agree, I have yet to see anyone in line with me removing the tips on the 1st day.

I actually go day one and tell the pursers desk "I do not give approval to charge my card gratuities", and go back day 2/3 when the charges inevitably show up.

I haven't had an issue with a staff member yet.

Saw that when it was originally posted. Didn't believe the validity then nor do I now.

I could be wrong, I have been before, will be again.

If this "list" is given out early in the cruise so the staff can provide bad service, or spit in pax food, or otherwise strongarm paying customers into giving a gratuity shame on the staff,

and an even bigger shame on Carnival.

If the pax remove their tips at the end of the cruise when most of you say they do what difference does the list make???

Unless the room steward is going to slap the pax with it on their way out the door it is useless.

The MDR is not open on debarkation day so the wait staff won't even see you. I guess the buffet staff could be playing guess the cheapos so we can foul the oatmeal, but I doubt it.

The only possible explanation for the list is one where customers have actually complained about something tangible during their cruise and reduced/removed gratuities as a result.

The list is moot.

You OP, and everyone else who is reading this thread are in charge of your own vacation and money. Tip in cash, in the beginning, at the end, prepay, leave the auto tip, remove the auto tip, adjust up/down, whatever, do not let anyone tell you how to spend the money you earned.

I don't know if it is true or not, but the supposed reason for the list is so that the crew member knows which pax he/she is expected to turn in a cash tip for. Some say that the crew is only allowed to keep cash tips that are BEYOND what the recommended amount is... When folks say this others will always chime in & say it isn't true, so who knows??

Irrelevant to me because we always choose to just leave auto tips on.

The list is moot.

The 2 most likely reasons for the list would be: 1) to give management a chance to follow-up on the gusts level of service for the remainder of the cruise or 2) to investigate why the same crew member keeps repeatedly showing up on the list. This is the fallacy that the list is useless after the cruise. The world doesn't revolve around us. From week to week there are probably a percentage of cheapskates that remove the auto-tip. Management would red-flag any crew member that repeatedly appears on the list more than an accepted percentage over a period of time.

The 2 most likely reasons for the list would be: 1) to give management a chance to follow-up on the gusts level of service for the remainder of the cruise or 2) to investigate why the same crew member keeps repeatedly showing up on the list. This is the fallacy that the list is useless after the cruise. The world doesn't revolve around us. From week to week there are probably a percentage of cheapskates that remove the auto-tip. Management would red-flag any crew member that repeatedly appears on the list more than an accepted percentage over a period of time.

This is the most reasonable explanation for the list I have read.

I would also guess that once a crew member was informed they made the naughty list they would do their best to make it to the nice list, only enhancing the pax cruise and impressing their bosses.

Oh they'll enhance our cruise experience. Ever see the crew scrubbing the grooves in the little black elevator thresholds with a toothbrush? They have a steady supply of toothbrushes to use for cleaning those hard to get spots.

I don't know if it is true or not, but the supposed reason for the list is so that the crew member knows which pax he/she is expected to turn in a cash tip for. Some say that the crew is only allowed to keep cash tips that are BEYOND what the recommended amount is... When folks say this others will always chime in & say it isn't true, so who knows??

I kinda disregard the turn in the cash theory that some tout as gospel. I still think that the crew that receives cash tips at any point during the cruise keep them. I cannot see any point where a steward or waiter would run to turn in a tip given to them privately. I know people say the crew has told them they have to turn in tips if the auto-tip is removed, but did anyone ever think that assertion was to ensure the pax would leave the auto tip, and give more in cash.

I have yet to meet a crew member who told me to go to to the pursers desk and give them the money I was about to hand them to put it on the auto tip. ( and since I must already be on list one would assume the crew member would want me to put money in the auto tip pool ).

I applaud those who like the new system.

I like things the old fashioned way. Earned, just like Smith Barney and they seem to be doing swell.

the crew keeps 100% of their cash tips, regardless of the amount. there is no minimum amount. it's just suggested.

My issue is the people behind the scenes who help you without you knowing it. People say "if they don't help me directly, they don't need a tip" but me, personally, I want to make sure that if someone is getting paid with an expectation of tips, they get them.

Sent from Tapa-Talk. Please forgive my brevity and lack of punctuation.

I kinda disregard the turn in the cash theory that some tout as gospel. I still think that the crew that receives cash tips at any point during the cruise keep them. I cannot see any point where a steward or waiter would run to turn in a tip given to them privately. I know people say the crew has told them they have to turn in tips if the auto-tip is removed, but did anyone ever think that assertion was to ensure the pax would leave the auto tip, and give more in cash.

I have yet to meet a crew member who told me to go to to the pursers desk and give them the money I was about to hand them to put it on the auto tip. ( and since I must already be on list one would assume the crew member would want me to put money in the auto tip pool ).

I applaud those who like the new system.

I like things the old fashioned way. Earned, just like Smith Barney and they seem to be doing swell.

the crew keeps 100% of their cash tips, regardless of the amount. there is no minimum amount. it's just suggested.

Mamaskittles, I was only offering you a possible explanation to your quandary.. Like I said, completely irrelevant to me because we chose to follow the system that doesn't leave out any crew members that are counting on being included (right or wrong, it is what it is and it's not their fault) AND saves us having to track down everyone the last day, but to each his own. I personally have much better things to do with my time than to make sure someone who didn't DIRECTLY serve me doesn't see one thin dime of my money. My butt cheeks also do not squeak as I walk away and I work hard at suppressing the "control freak" character flaw that some of us possess:D

However, I can't think of too many reasons why the STEWARDS would know who has removed the auto tips on a current sailing, but certainly nothing that is said here is touted as gospel by me unless someone can produce a valid source. (I'm not even certain the stewards DO know, nor do I care, just another rumor..)

H82, I never said there was a minimum, I said the recommended amount of auto tips, which is just another word for suggested.

Archived