TIpping

I get everyones views but why should the staff who makes your vacation great suffer?

I guess my morals are different than others

hopefully soon they will raise the prices and pay the staff a living wage

Iif the staff is suffering, they should quit immediately, or not renew their contract.

and see the $499 fare on the top of this page? it is carnival that wants that price point to be there

not $649 including tax and fees

not $729.50 including tips

not $759.50 including one night of good food.

not $1036.76 including airfare

not $1081.76 including soda

not $1221.76 including foo foos in tiki's

Iif the staff is suffering, they should quit immediately, or not renew their contract.

and see the $499 fare on the top of this page? it is carnival that wants that price point to be there

not $649 including tax and fees

not $729.50 including tips

not $759.50 including one night of good food.

not $1036.76 including airfare

not $1081.76 including soda

not $1221.76 including foo foos in tiki's

Suffer was a poor choice of words because most people do the right thing

exactly disregarding the tipping policy!!!

why did they make guidelines?

Ohh for people to disregard

So they can pay the staff much less than a living wage and pass the responsibility on to the customer.

Look into the history of cruiseline tipping. It will open your eyes.

When cruising was a luxury tipping was almost unheard of.

As mainstream cruiselines evolved and cruising became available to the upper middle class rather than a wealthy only commodity, tipping became more prevelant.

At this time the cruiselines, never one to miss an opportunity to increase profits, figured out a way to do so while not only maintaining their new much larger customer base but increasing it significantly.

They cut wages to the bone and placed envelopes in the cabins with suggested tip amounts. Most cruisers loved this. Some did not so they did not tip. (They would not have tipped anyway and probably still don't).

The majority tipped and well. The staff made more than what the cruiseline used to pay so they were happy. The cruiselines were estactic because they deftly did what all corporations strive to do, cut costs dramatically.

Then NCL went freestyle. Tipping was all confused because the waitstaff was different every meal. People were not handing over a dollar here and a dollar there.

So what's a cruiseline to do.... auto-gratuities.

Give us your tips, we'll make sure all the staff gets their fair share. Never mind the lovely boost to our deposit base that is just another perk for us. When the other mainstream lines saw the change ( or perhaps knew in advance it was happening ) they also went to auto-tipping.

Now that the major mainstream cruiselines are marketing to more of the middle class, who do not seem to want a luxury cruise experience, their happy dance knows no bounds. They don't really pay their staff, and they are removing/reducing/altering the amenities that were once standard on a cruise.

I still believe the underpaid staff deserve tips. They are service personnel and I tip service personnel when they finish the service I contracted them ( with my cruisefare ) to perform.

If they do not keep the generous amount of money I either give to them or leave for them... it is on them.

I get everyones views but why should the staff who makes your vacation great suffer?

I guess my morals are different than others

hopefully soon they will raise the prices and pay the staff a living wage

Firts, there has never been an argument about it being a living wage. As a matter of fact most staff live very well in their home country.

Most importanly, This is not an issure of morals. It is a belief issue. Some do not believe in tipping. What makes one so morally superior morally to say non tipping is imoral. I have tipped on every cruise, even when the service was not so good. But I did it because I wanted to not because I felt morally bound to do so.

exactly disregarding the tipping policy!!!

why did they make guidelines?

Ohh for people to disregard

That is exactly it. They are GUIDELINES. When I first started cruising with no tips automatically added, It was printed that it was a guideline to give a help to those who might need an idea of how to tip.

We always tip ABOVE the guidelines, slipping envelops with extra cash to the room stewart, servers, et.al.

These folks spend a lot of time away from family on these ships and to put up with some of the people they need to, (including me!:D) they deserve all they get and MORE!!!

(just look at some of the things folks post here and treat other posters or the way they talk about the staff on the cruise ship and what they expect from them.)

Tip More! Enough said.

Firts, there has never been an argument about it being a living wage. As a matter of fact most staff live very well in their home country.

Most importanly, This is not an issure of morals. It is a belief issue. Some do not believe in tipping. What makes one so morally superior morally to say non tipping is imoral. I have tipped on every cruise, even when the service was not so good. But I did it because I wanted to not because I felt morally bound to do so.

If someone doesn't believe in tipping then why are they patronizing a company where tipping is part of the model? There are alternatives where tipping isn't required, choose those.

Service is rendered every day of every cruise for every PAX. Those tip-stiffers that wait until the last morning to remove the tips should only have 1 days worth of tips removed. If service was so bad during their cruise, why would they wait until the last morning to remove tips? Get real. Any problems should be brought to their attention when they occur so they can be addressed immediately. Why on earth would anyone put up with continous bad service? Those that want to stiff the staff can do so to their own amusement but, they don't need to find any excuse here to justify their actions. BTW, H8tr, don't twist fireflys words; she says she wouldn't think of removing the tips out of fear of embarassment. We both know she tips because the crew earns it. Your views on this are well known.

I like your post :).

I cannot believe that anyone would go stand in line and remove any part of the tip. The suggested amount is the minimum that I would tip and if you do remove the tip you deserve to be put on a list and recieve 0 service. Hide your toothbrush and make sure that you do not drink or eat anything extra.

Why are all those who tip differently than you liars?

Why are all those who do not believe in tipping horrible people?

Why are only your views the correct ones?

Those who are honest here state their reasons for removing/changing/disregarding the tipping policy set forth by the cruiseline ( not the staff, their bosses !).

They have not said that YOU are wrong or anything else derogatory or perjorative about those who think differently.

People disagree, it is not a crime nor is it an immoral act to disagree on how to ( legally :p ) spend ones own money.

Anyone who uses the services where people earn their wages off tips and you do not tip then you are a horrible person.

Anyone who uses the services where people earn their wages off tips and you do not tip then you are a horrible person.

WOW how judgmental of you. Did you know that in most other cultures tipping is unheard of. So in your mind over half the world is populated by horrible people.

No one has called those that give their money to Carnival, to play with for however long it takes to pay it to the staff,

morons ...but if the shoe fits :rolleyes:

WOW how judgmental of you. Did you know that in most other cultures tipping is unheard of. So in your mind over half the world is populated by horrible people.

No one has called those that give their money to Carnival, to play with for however long it takes to pay it to the staff,

morons ...but if the shoe fits :rolleyes:

Yes, if the shoe fits ..............

I cannot believe that anyone would go stand in line and remove any part of the tip. The suggested amount is the minimum that I would tip and if you do remove the tip you deserve to be put on a list and recieve 0 service. Hide your toothbrush and make sure that you do not drink or eat anything extra.

What a fool I am. All this time I thought my fare paid for all of this. Food and drink and my room cleaned.

So let's see if I understand this. It's ok for Carnival to only pay their staff $50 a month ( allegedly) but if someone removes the auto gratuities to tip a server in person they are "horrible"

What a fool I am. All this time I thought my fare paid for all of this. Food and drink and my room cleaned.

So let's see if I understand this. It's ok for Carnival to only pay their staff $50 a month ( allegedly) but if someone removes the auto gratuities to tip a server in person they are "horrible"

I would go with "misinformed" over horrible. Anyone who has ever worked in a restaurant understands how this whole tipping thing IS the staff's salary. If tipping is a customary part of an employees salary, then you have to face the fact that when you choose not to do it, you are cheating a real person with a real family to feed out of expected salary. Doing so knowingly is not moral. I am assuming that most people who choose not to tip are just not thinking about the big picture...and have never worked in a restaurant or watched a friend who did struggle to make ends meet.

According to the Donald Sutherland finger pointers ( think invasion of the body snatchers lol ) most tip removers do so on the last evening, so when should they go on the list ?

When will the cabin steward be able to pee on the toothbrush, or the waiter spit on the warm melting chocolate cake ?

If they leave in morning how much more service than 0 can they expect ?

I would go with "misinformed" over horrible. Anyone who has ever worked in a restaurant understands how this whole tipping thing IS the staff's salary. If tipping is a customary part of an employees salary, then you have to face the fact that when you choose not to do it, you are cheating a real person with a real family to feed out of expected salary. Doing so knowingly is not moral. I am assuming that most people who choose not to tip are just not thinking about the big picture...and have never worked in a restaurant or watched a friend who did struggle to make ends meet.

First I do tip. But I have make a life of busting things that are customary. Who says what a custom is. Oh in this case the labor unions with 15%. And btw, even that custom has changed over the years. When did it go from showing appreciation to paying a wage.

Lets start a new custom and let the cruise lines pay a fair wadge. Now that is a custom I could go for. Please dont tell me its my moral obligation or responsibility to follow a custom. Those are set by men, not any moral authority. Oh, I guess there could be a Church of the Blessed Gratuity. They seem to have a lot of Followers and not many Leaders.

First I do tip. But I have make a life of busting things that are customary. Who says what a custom is. Oh in this case the labor unions with 15%. And btw, even that custom has changed over the years. When did it go from showing appreciation to paying a wage.

Lets start a new custom and let the cruise lines pay a fair wadge. Now that is a custom I could go for. Please dont tell me its my moral obligation or responsibility to follow a custom. Those are set by men, not any moral authority. Oh, I guess there could be a Church of the Blessed Gratuity. They seem to have a lot of Followers and not many Leaders.

It is what is is. These people count on tips for their wages. No matter how much you hate it or buck against it, the only people paying for your nonconformity are the people who don't get the tips. I guarantee you the cruise line isn't hurt a bit when you don't tip.

It is what is is. These people count on tips for their wages. No matter how much you hate it or buck against it, the only people paying for your nonconformity are the people who don't get the tips. I guarantee you the cruise line isn't hurt a bit when you don't tip.

War is hell!!

Haven't read the entire thread. With all the debating, has anyone changed their point of view?

most will never change their point of view on this subject.Thats why so many tipping threads

I do realize the other points of views and can agree to disagree

I respect people who work hard for their family

According to the Donald Sutherland finger pointers ( think invasion of the body snatchers lol ) most tip removers do so on the last evening, so when should they go on the list ?

When will the cabin steward be able to pee on the toothbrush, or the waiter spit on the warm melting chocolate cake ?

If they leave in morning how much more service than 0 can they expect ?

A very well thought out tip remover lol

most will never change their point of view on this subject.Thats why so many tipping threads

I do realize the other points of views and can agree to disagree

I respect people who work hard for their family

I agree. I can see both views here for sure. It just bothers me to see people label others and judge people so quickly.

I do think some people remove tips for whatever reason they see fit. I don't for a second believe either momaskittles or H82 are one of those people.

I have yet to remove auto Gratuities, but I will give serious thought to it next cruise because of the info I have learned here about how they distribute my money.

And on a side note: is it just me or is tipping getting out of hand ? What happened to paying for a service and just getting that service. Now I have to tip on top of that. Hair cuts, taxi cabs, ect...it's out of control in my mind.

Just my 2 cents

I agree. I can see both views here for sure. It just bothers me to see people label others and judge people so quickly.

I do think some people remove tips for whatever reason they see fit. I don't for a second believe either momaskittles or H82 are one of those people.

I have yet to remove auto Gratuities, but I will give serious thought to it next cruise because of the info I have learned here about how they distribute my money.

And on a side note: is it just me or is tipping getting out of hand ? What happened to paying for a service and just getting that service. Now I have to tip on top of that. Hair cuts, taxi cabs, ect...it's out of control in my mind.

Just my 2 cents

Dave those of us who work/worked for tips just understand .Those who have never will never understand.

I do think the cruiselines/taxi owners/haircuttery should pay a fair wage but they do not.I do not think the worker should suffer

I havent ever had such poor service that I needed to go to the pursers desk and alter my service charge so I cannot really understand this.

I also can agree we should not have to pay for entertainment staff or guest services but again its under $20 for the week (i know h8 then its $40 then $80 lol) im on vacation and wont sweat the small stuff

This I do agree with .Myself I would rather pay 25% more and have them pay a fair wage and have the whole tip/service charge done!!

Dave those of us who work/worked for tips just understand .Those who have never will never understand.

I do think the cruiselines/taxi owners/haircuttery should pay a fair wage but they do not.I do not think the worker should suffer

I havent ever had such poor service that I needed to go to the pursers desk and alter my service charge so I cannot really understand this.

I also can agree we should not have to pay for entertainment staff or guest services but again its under $20 for the week (i know h8 then its $40 then $80 lol) im on vacation and wont sweat the small stuff

it's too early to pull out my abacas, but i seem to remember that small stuff adding up to under $700,000 a week in carnival's coffers.

that's a lot of saxaphone playing!

we are not too far away from tip jars up and down the promenade.

Archived