can we do FLL to Miami in a day

happycruzer

Baesue and TrentS, thank you so much for your suggestions - all the places look great and we have learned from past visits in the US that you can have a great dinner for half the price it would cost at home. I also looked at Capital Grille in Miami - do you know this one and is it any good? and for the girls I found an Italian restaurant called Il Mulino in FLL. I think we are going to try out both Ruth's Chris and Morton's (Jackson's is perhaps a bit to pricey although it looks fantastic). Once again thank you so much for all your help - can't wait till next Saturday

Il Mulino - really a good place for Italian food. Highly recommend it. Re: Capital Grille in Miami, have never been there, so I'ld be afraid to give a recommendation. As far a seafood, probably one of the most popular with tourists is 15th St. Fishery. Personally, I don't care for it, the atmosphere is really nice, but I believe there are many other seafood places around that don't cater so much to tourists. Going back to Las Olas, you can't go wrong with Mark's Place for seafood or steak. A little further down Las Olas there is the Mediterranean Grill (I think that's the name). There's also Shirt Tail Charlies, but its a little hard to find by car. You might consider parking on Las Olas then taking the river taxi. If you want casual seafood that is pretty good, you should consider Islamordia SeaFood in Hollywood. If you want what Miami is noted for, you can go to Miami and go to Joe's Stone Crab, but expect a 2 hour wait, no matter when you go. I mentioned Gibby's for steaks. They also have a pretty good seafood menu. And I don't know when it begins, but 1 day each week, they run a special on whole lobster. Yumm.

Anyway, one thing FLL definately has - no shortage of good restaurants.

baesue

Also, there is also a promenade of shops in Miami near the Miami cruise port but I cant remember the name of it. Quite big and lots of cool shops (and there is a Bubba Gump shrimp restaurant there that was fun and good food).

Bayside Marketplace - http://www.baysidemarketplace.com/

Bubba Gumps - http://www.bubbagump.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Have to admit I haven't read EVERY response to your origianal email, but thought I would give you my two cents:

I would absolutely save Miami for your post cruise stay. There's so much to see / do you could spend the ENTIRE day and evening exploring. Probably worth renting a minivan being that there are 6 of you.

As to what to do on your turnaround day...take a cab (or two) to Hollywood beach which is just a few miles from the port (80% of the port is actually in Hollywood). There you will find a two-mile paved boardwalk lined with shops and restaurants. Have a relaxing lunch, stroll along the boardwalk (or rent bikes or roller blades), and buy a few cheap t-shirts or beach towels for the friends back home (the T-shirtery sells 3 shirts for $10). If that doesn't sound like enough to do, take the Holly Trolly to downtown Hollywood where you will find more shops and restaurants (all a bit more upscale than on the beach) as well as the Art and Culture Center of Hollywood. Holly Trolley costs $1 each way. Taxi between port and Hollywood Beach should run about $20 - $25. Have the taxi drop you off on Johnson St. which is in the central part of the beach.

Hope this helps!

Archived