Xunantunich review...

tankersbabe

Hello all!

When we were booking our excursions, there really were not that many reviews on Xunantunich, and I really didn't know what to expect...so we took the tour, and here is my review.

First tip, your ticket says 745a in the Phantom Lounge...please arrive at about 730a...the tour leaves at 745a, please don't hang it up for everyone else...please arrive a few minutes early.

We were ushered out to our tender at 745a and sent on our merry way. Easy ride in to Belize, off the tender, herded through the port area and onto the appropriate air conditioned tour bus with bathroom facilities on board.

Our guides were FABULOUS...second tip, take more than a few one dollar bills for tips at the end. Hubby and I felt horrible, we only had a few ones and the rest were twenties...I would have liked to have tipped them more. There is a driver and two guides...all three were great. The guides were EXTREMELY knowledgeable about the country, very entertaining, friendly and just great people.

It's about a two hour ride out to Xunantunich...the guides talk the entire way about areas that you passing, history, culture, etc. Any questions that you may have, they will happily answer.

Yes, Belize is quite third world, but it is a beautiful country. It's not America, but I have seen parts of America that look like parts of Belize....it's a growing country, and the people are trying.

We arrived at our hand crank ferry, and rode across the river...we were ushered into waiting buses to go up the mountain.

At the mid way point, we stopped for another potty break...our guides gave us bottled water (I would suggest taking more with you if you can, it was hot and nice walk up hill the rest of the way)

We started up the road walking, stopping every now and again for the guides to talk about surrounding flora and fauna and points of interest. We went through the information building and the guide instructed us on various aspects of Xunantunich. This walk is UPHILL, it's hot, and I do not suggest it for someone who cannot walk long distances or withstand the heat.

Our guides took us out the ruins and they are BEAUTIFUL! They instructed us on various aspects of the history and significance, let us wander and take pictures, then we began the climp up El Castillo. MAGNIFICENT...I have not been to any other ruins, so I have nothing to compare, but this was wonderful. You can see in Guatemala you are up so high...FABULOUS!

Then the descent...again, if you are not in fairly decent health, I wouldn't attempt it. We had a few members of the group that didn't climb, but they explored the lower areas.

We walked back down the mountain, had another potty and gift shop break, and the boarded the buses...

Crossed the ferry again, browsed the tourist stands there...boarded our air conditioned tour bus once again in search of lunch.

Lunch is provided in our package at Windy Hill Ranch...it was hotter than you know what at this point, but the lunch was good, spiced chicken, red beans and rice, fried bananas and fruit punch. I was soo hungry!

Back on board the bus, to head back to Belize...I fell asleep about five minutes out, but hubby enjoyed the scenery on the way back. I was so tired, but I think we all were!

We arrived at the pier about half an hour before the final tender...so you don't have much time to shop and browse,..but that was ok...I got to climb a Mayan Ruin!

It was a wonderful tour, well worth it and I can't wait to go back!

Feel free to ask any questions! I'll try to answer the best that I can.

Stef

tankersbabe,

Thanks for the informative review. I did a lot of research on Xunantunich and chose it over Lamanai. We have scheduled this excursion through the cruise ship and given the length of the trip, it is probably the safest way to go. If anything delays the excursion, the ship won't leave without us. It sounds like it will be plenty hot on May 18th. Probably need to take a towel with me. How long a walk is it from the bus?

We are really excited about seeing the ruins. I am just hoping that the climb is not too much for my wife and me. I am in reasonable good health and swim a mile every morning, but my knee sometimes pains me. It will be a shame to make it all the way there and not be able to access the ruins.

Thanks again for the review.

tankersbabe,

Thanks for the informative review. I did a lot of research on Xunantunich and chose it over Lamanai. We have scheduled this excursion through the cruise ship and given the length of the trip, it is probably the safest way to go. If anything delays the excursion, the ship won't leave without us. It sounds like it will be plenty hot on May 18th. Probably need to take a towel with me. How long a walk is it from the bus?

We are really excited about seeing the ruins. I am just hoping that the climb is not too much for my wife and me. I am in reasonable good health and swim a mile every morning, but my knee sometimes pains me. It will be a shame to make it all the way there and not be able to access the ruins.

Thanks again for the review.

You should be fine...if you can swim a mile, you will be fine...

The walk is about a quarter of a mile uphill...maybe close to half a mile...not bad at all...and the guides stop every little bit to let everyone catch their breath and catch up with the group.

We had some folks in our group on canes and so forth that made it up the hill, that is as far as they went, but they got up there.

The ruins are very pretty....I thought it was a great tour and well worth it!

Have fun!

Stef

Thank you Tankersbabe! I was hoping someone would write about these ruins. Your review was very informative and helpful! I am glad you took timeout to write this review. I will definitely go on this excursion! Thanks Kelly

:D I was on the Miracle last November and did this same tour in Belize. It was awesome! Belize is indeed a beautiful country and the people are so kind. Our tour guide was great. The ruins were wonderful and it was really neat that we got to climb to the top. The view was gorgeous! We had lunch at the same place and then had an unscheduled potty break on the way back. (That place was interesting...t-shirts hanging all over the ceiling!):confused:

I, too, would strongly suggest that you book this particular tour through the ship. We ended up being 20 minutes late and they actually had to hold the ship for us...they were not happy about that!! :o

Thanks so much for the review. I had debated long and hard about which ruin to go see and it was hard to know what the differences would be. A review like yours would have been helpful. That little hand cranked ferry looked so fun, I wanted to go on that. I was glad to hear it was still there, I can't believe it will be for long. In the end we picked Lamanai because it also had the river trip too. We absolutely loved it. Definitely the best day of the cruise. But I hope to go again and see Xunantunich.

Su

• 4 weeks later...

Archived