Key Question

Depending on the cruiseline, it will be called a 'sea pass', a 'sail and sign', etc. I forget all the names. But, yes it is a credit card looking thing with a magnetic strip that is your room key and is also connected to your credit card. This will be how you charge things on the ship such as excursions, wine, etc.

You will probably want to take something to keep receipts in and possibly a little lanyard for your wrist as they can punch a hole in it and the lanyard will keep you (or your kids) from loosing them. Each person in the room gets a key.

It will also have your dinner seating time (early or late) on it and your table number. You will want to go to the dining room as soon as you drop your stuff off in the room and check out the location of your table. If you don't like your table, or they have your seating time wrong, check the posting outside the dining room and it will tell you when and where to go to get it changed. Be there first thing then to get it changed so you are not stuck o a waiting list.

On our first cruise I noticed that even the children on board the ship had key cards. So I was finally able to talk to a parent to see if they were premited to use the card for purchases also. The mother was quite open to the fact that the children were able to purchase whatever they wanted on the ship.

I wonder how many parents have had a little shock when they recieved their bill at the end of the cruise. :eek:

On our first cruise I noticed that even the children on board the ship had key cards. So I was finally able to talk to a parent to see if they were premited to use the card for purchases also. The mother was quite open to the fact that the children were able to purchase whatever they wanted on the ship.

I wonder how many parents have had a little shock when they recieved their bill at the end of the cruise. :eek:

We make sure that our DD's cards are not active for purchases. I don't think I would have a problem with our 4 year old trying to buy something(:) ) but I can see our 10 year being tempted to buy a soft drink on the pool deck. I would be more worried if their card was lost and someone tried to use it.

When you check in with kids, they'll ask you whether you want your child to be able to charge things to the card. On RCL they also punch a second hole in the card to show that the holder is under 21 and supposedly won't be served alcohol.

Archived