What to do in Halifax and St John?

We are going to be in Halifax and St John on our cruise and have never been. I'm trying to decide what activities are best for each port.

The main things we want to do are to take a nature cruise and hope to see whales, check out Peggy's Cove, eat fresh lobster and do a little souvenir shopping.

We want to spend time at both ports but can't afford to go completely nuts or exhaust ourselves. Which port is best for these activities? Ideally i'd like to do half in one and half in the other. Split them up based on the port best suited for each. Any help ... Please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah. we're only going to have about 8 hours in each port so I want to gear our plan based on what's best for each port. It looks like whale watching is actually better in St John, but the cruise line only offers whale watching from Halifax...:confused:

and we're OK with booking and touring on our own since it will be half the price of cruise trips.

I researched this for someone else a few weeks ago and I don't think there is whale watching out of Saint John. there is out of Halifax, but you are not very likely to see much in the way of whales, so I would not recommend it.

You can research this on Trip Advisor and perhaps learn. More.

Lulu has given you great advice about Peggy's Cove and lobster. You can rent a car and do this on your own.

There is no whale watching from Saint John that I know of. The closest would leave from St. Andrews which is a 90 min drive from Saint John.

http://www.tourismsaintjohn.com/index.cfm?event=page.view&filename=whalewatching.cfm

The cruise ship may offer excursions that would go to St. Andrews for Whale watching. If you were able to do this it would be a double win since St. Andrews is a great destination by itself. The Whales are usually in the mouth of the Bay of Fundy which is why the excursions leave from St. Andrews of from the Island of Grand Manan.

Archived