Just back from wind on 5/1

nygirl07

I wanted to let everyone know that I had the most amazing time. I was so worried after reading so reviews but I don't have one complaint. The ship was great, the room was great and the staff on board was the best I've ever met. The food is unbelivable but it's really good and I loved trying new things. I even loved going to Fanning Island it was a great experience and meeting the people and talking to them was interesting. I can't even pick my favorite port b/c they were all amazing. I'm also glad we didn't rent a car. We played it by ear and got off and got our own taxi driver who took us on a tour of the island. I saw so many different places and waterfalls in Hilo it was amazing. If you are going anytime soon look for a big guy with a white beard. He says he doesn't get many people b/c he thinks he scares them. He drives a big van that is the only handicapp taxi on the island. He took us to the most beautiful places and he taught us so much. The people in Hawaii and on the ship were the nicest, friendliest people I've ever met, everybody was happy and funny and always willing to help. In Kaui I did the Princeville Waterfall Hiking excursion. It was amazing, you have to be in semi good shape b/c you hike up 300 ft, but my mom made it through and loved it. You get to climb down a 10ft mountains side beside a waterfall and then cross the waterfall, I would recommend doing it, it was an expereince I'll never soon forget.

If anyone has any questions let me know, if not, ignore the bad reviews and enjoy every moment of this trip b/c it will be the best vacation of your life.

Thanks so much for letting us know you had a great time! How did you fit Pearl Harbor and Polynesian cultural center into your 2-day pre-cruise stay? Also what transportation did you use to get places.? We have a 2-day stay planned and are trying to plan to do as much as possible without renting a car. Thanks so much!

Thank you for the update on the Wind. We are going 5/21 and being a former hotel manager for another cruise line, I was a bit skeptical of the food and service from what I have read. What was your favorite restaurant onboard and what did you think of the shows and activities. Thank You.

Good to hear of your great time. We are getting excited for our Wind cruise in Aug. too.

We were originally planning to rent a van in most ports. How readily were you able to hire local taxis, and how do they charge? The big guy you mentioned, is that in Hilo?

In Hilo were are planning to go for a helicoptor ride first, then drive a rental van to the Volcano National Park. But hiring a local van driver would be good if it doesn't cost too much.

What about at other ports? At Lahaina we were planning to drive a rental van to Hana and back. But would like to know the alternatives.

Also, relative to the published time at ports (e.g. Hilo at 9:30am, other ports at 8am), what time did you actually set your foot on shore? We would like to maximize on shore time, and your experience would really help.

Thanks a lot.

i too, would like to hear about when you actually got to port and when you had be back on the ship, versus the posted arrival /departure times. what kind of cabin did you have? how was the weather? how were the cruising days? did the ship seem crowded or have long lines anywhere? send anything else you think of that's important.

our Wind cruise in Aug. too.

We were originally planning to rent a van in most ports. How readily were you able to hire local taxis, and how do they charge? The big guy you mentioned, is that in Hilo?

I haven't visited this forum for three months, so please bear with me. Sorry if this has been answered before.

My wife and I and two girls, ages 10 and 11 sailed Dec. 1, 11-day Fanning.

The only place we needed a car was Wailuku (all other places we had family or friends meet us {we're originally from HI}) Wailuki is the only port you arrive early and sail late (10:30pm?) thus worth getting a rental car. Here's how to to get a great deal on car rental. Get off the ship and catch the first rental shuttle that takes you to the airport. Doesn't matter what rental agency shuttle as they don't watch where you go. I took the Hertz shuttle and walked to the National agency. I asked how much for a day rental (compact) and was $22. I took it and came back to the pier and picked up the family. We headed straight to Wailea side and let the girls enjoy the water. Around noon we left and had lunch at Kihei. If you like island grinds, go to Da Kitchen. *Very* large portions, so bring big appetite. From there we went to Io Valley where we spent an hour or so taking pictures. Don't go to Lahaina as you'll be there the next day anyway, plus you won't have time. After Io Valley we headed to Wailuku/Kahului where we visited a couple malls and Wal-Mart. You may want to skip the beach and go to Haleakala. We've been there many times and the girls preffered the beaches.

In Hilo were are planning to go for a helicoptor ride first, then drive a rental van to the Volcano National Park. But hiring a local van driver would be good if it doesn't cost too much.

IIRC, Hilo is a short stay. Did NCL change times?

What about at other ports? At Lahaina we were planning to drive a rental van to Hana and back. But would like to know the alternatives.

Forget Hana. No time. Long, slow, twisting road. Nothing there when you get there. Remember, you're tendered in Lahaina. And sails early too.

Also, relative to the published time at ports (e.g. Hilo at 9:30am, other ports at 8am), what time did you actually set your foot on shore? We would like to maximize on shore time, and your experience would really help.

Only long stay is Wailuku. Stay near your port at other stops. You never want to miss your ship.

Eddie

Thanks a lot.

Ok, first we ate mostly in the main dinning rooms. Four seasons and terraces served the same meals each night just different atmosphere. We ate in Le Bistro two nights, they have the $10 charge but it's so worth it. Look for Rosaria she's a sweet heart and we loved seeing her every night.

As for the time arriving on land, most of the ports we docked when they said you would and then you would get tender tickets if needed and wait for your number to be called. This was a quick process except in Kona, the water was really ruff and it took a while to load people. The tender kept disconnected from the steps on the side of the ship so it was a little scary.

Yes the big guy who drove the van was in Hilo, he was parked right outside the terminal building. If we needed a cab they were pretty much right by the dock. In Hilo we used a cab, Kuai we did a tour all day, Maui we took a cab to the beach and spent most of the day on front street b/c we were only there till 9pm. Front street is a great place. Kona we shopped and looked around on our own. In Honoalulu we were with a group tour so we took a bus but a cab would be available. We did the Polonesian Cultural Center the day after we got there and did the Luau there also. Then the day we were to board the ship we got up early and did Pearl Harbor. You have plenty of time so relax and enjoy every moment. You'll never be able to see everything and your plans change so fast once you get there b/c there is so much to see right in front of you.

The local van driver only charged us $75 for the entire time and he took us to about 8 waterfalls and the black sand beach, it was about 5 hrs and we tipped him, there were four of us so that was a lot cheaper then doing an excursion and renting a car b/c we would of never seen what we saw b/c we wouldn't know how to get there.

As for the ship and the weather, the weather was beautiful every day. We did have a little rain when arriving on fanning island but that was it. The ship didn't seem over croweded the most we waited at a reasturant was 10 minutes and that was only on one night. As for entertainment, the shows were good and I loved the comedian. The ship is mainly an older crowd and me being 24 thought that would be a problem, but with running around all day and the time change, by 11pm my friend and I were exhausted and ready for bed, as much as you won't belive you'll be tired you are. Oh and we for those who get sea sick, wear the patch. Those four days at sea were a little rough. I never get sick, nor did anyone but you felt it. I tried to eat at the four season those nights b/c it's located in the middle of the ship and you don't feel it like you do at terraces and la tratorria. I had the patch on and it helped but a side effect of the patch is blurred vison so I couldn't read the menu's for two nights, but it was funny. I really loved the days at sea b/c they were relaxing, I think you need then b/c the days on land you are running around trying to see everything that you never get to relax. Oh, and if you are going to fanning I recommend the Napile Beach excursion it truly is a sight to see and it's really beautiful, just walk straght to the beach and don't shop till after or all the chairs with umbrellas will be taken, even though we never sat in the chairs b/c the water is beautiful, but if you want one get there early.

I hope this helps, any other questions let me know, and again eat at Orchids in Wakkiki if you do the pre cruise stay it is the most beautiful sight and the steak was great.

I had an ocean view state room on the 5 th floor and I really enjoyed it, the set up was nice and the room was always kept clean

Thank you for the update on the Wind. We are going 5/21 and being a former hotel manager for another cruise line, I was a bit skeptical of the food and service from what I have read. What was your favorite restaurant onboard and what did you think of the shows and activities. Thank You.

Hello fmrhotelmgr,

We too are sailing on the Wind 5/21/05. We have quite of few from cc boards on this cruise. Please check out the Roll call.

We are planning to meet on board the ship Saturday, May 21 at the Lucky's Cage between 6 and 7pm.

Hope you have the chance to join us.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Thank you for your review. Glad you had a great time. We are looking forward to seeing Hawaii for the first time!

We too have an outside cabin on Deck 5. Glad to hear the set up was good.

Thank you for the review

I too will be on the 5/21 sailing and I can't wait. For anyone else who may be sailing with us - please join our roll call at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=132478&goto=newpost

I do have a few questions if you don't mind:

• Who was the cruise director? How were they?
  • What did you think about the entertainment?
  • Was there shows every night?
  • Do they have bingo every day or just on the sea days to & from Fanning?

Thank you for the review

I too will be on the 5/21 sailing and I can't wait. For anyone else who may be sailing with us - please join our roll call at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=132478&goto=newpost

I do have a few questions if you don't mind:

• Who was the cruise director? How were they?
  • What did you think about the entertainment?
  • Was there shows every night?
  • Do they have bingo every day or just on the sea days to & from Fanning?

The cruise director was Adonis "Archie" Archabold and he did a great job. This was his first as director-previously was asst director. He was very visible and was at most of the Stardust events.

There were shows of some sort every night, often with 2 sessions. The entertainment was generally good but a lot depends on your taste for comics and silliness. The duo in the Observatory Lounge-Patty and Jose -were terrific and very popular. Lots of bingo, some big winners, but not us.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I have never won the big jackpot - but a fellow CC friend of mine did win the cabin upgrade to the top suite. Their pictures are on my webshots page. She also won a free cruise.

The only bingo luck I had was on my Carnival trip, I hit three games in a row. I think if I had hit one more the other passengers playing were going to throw me over board :rolleyes:

Archived