SPIRIT to ALASKA May 8 - 15 Review ... LOVED IT!!!

They asked us NOT to feed the seagulls, but someone on the Lido Deck was tossing food and attracting them...

232323232%7Ffp635%3C7%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A7%3A6%3C2349nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp73468%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A7%3A6%3C7349nu0mrj

Here comes the Pilot boat...

232323232%7Ffp73467%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A7%3A736349nu0mrj

The stop is from 7:30 - 11:30 with departure at midnight. but we arrive and are cleared a few minutes late...

The line to debark and get through customs and see the town is VERY LONG!!! So I went forward to the bow to take photos.

232323232%7Ffp635%3C8%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A7%3A6%3C%3A349nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp635%3A5%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A7%3A6%3C%3B349nu0mrj

The town of Victoria is not close to the port. It's a taxi ride, a buggy ride or a cart ride into town.

232323232%7Ffp73457%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A7%3A753349nu0mrj

...and helos flying somewhere...

232323232%7Ffp7346%3B%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A7%3A739349nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63634%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A7%3A742349nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp73466%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A7%3A737349nu0mrj

...and these vessels...

232323232%7Ffp635%3A5%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A7%3A755349nu0mrj

...Back on the ship, I see some folks from our group on their balcony...

232323232%7Ffp63599%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A7%3A746349nu0mrj

...and a one legged seagull.

232323232%7Ffp73469%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A7%3A744349nu0mrj

I head back to the cabin, first to finish packing and get the suitcases out. I'm checking them BOTH and letting the porters take them off ship. I'll have to check them in at the airport...

232323232%7Ffp7344%3A%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A7%3A756349nu0mrj

As it turned dark, I wanted to see if I could get some lights of Victoria... A bit hard hand holding the camera -- but here are some...

232323232%7Ffp63556%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A7%3A766349nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp635%3A2%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A7%3A758349nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp73455%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A7%3A75%3B349nu0mrj

Sorry if this has been asked before but I was wondering which port you thought had the best shopping? Also did you get any glacier silt soap in Juneau?

Thanks again for taking the time to write such a good review and answering eveyones questions.

I thought all the ports had fair prices and fairly equal prices... But Skagway was just a bit better...

I did not get any Glacier Silt soap. I'm not sure I even saw it... I might have gotten some as a gift if I had. So no comment on that...

I have to share my experience with our cruise in September to Alaska. We were the last cruise of the season and the shops have some great sales as they close down for the winter and ship things remaining to storage etc.

Juneau and Skagway have a company called Alaska T-Shirt Company. This store has a HUGE variety of products from magnets, art/sculpture, sweatshirts, jackets, souvenirs, and even batteries & snacks etc. Prices are reasonable. If you start watching people board the ship after being in port, you will see many, many of the stores bags (back then they were bright red) being carried back on the ship in the two ports.

I went to the one in Skagway, and they have everything 75% off including the batteries & snacks the day I was there.

We found stores more willing to barter/have sales in Juneau and Skagway, but not in Ketchikan. I did NOT instigate the bartering, I had shop owners/staff do that. If anything regular prices were higher in Ketchikan compared to the other ports.

I have a beautiful Ulu knife that is carved antler from a shop in Juneau. I used it once (it's great), but then put it on display in my curio cabinet. It has 3 carved eagle heads on both sides and is a true piece of art.

In Skagway, I went into town by myself while my husband did the White Pass Railway. I loved all the shops and art galleries. I was able to talk to many of the artists. What a thrill that was.

I love my ulu knife too!!! And Mary loves her's!

I have heard about the great prices on the last or almost last cruise ship of the season. Sounds GREAT for Christmas shopping! In Skagway, I think I saw the best shopping, but it could be because Juneau and Ketchikan are shorter stops...

I may have to try that - since I am going to AK - in 1 week!

They are delicious and can be sipped... But as a shot they're made to be downed all at once!!!

Edited by LambKnuckles

Thank you for your review !! It made me really get serious about cruising Alaska !!! Might be booking ?! :D

I hope you do!!! I will again, without regrets or second thoughts!!!

THANK YOU for reading through it!!!

Lambie, Victoria is so pretty. We took a pub tour and had a ball. Our first stop provided finger foods and one or two beers. We could walk out on their back patio and the views and gardens were so pretty. They had these lamposts with flowers that were so pretty. I just hated that our time there was so short. Great pictures. Chiefie is right about the gardens. I didn't see them, but, understand they are really nice.

Lambie How come you did not get off the ship and go to Bouchart Gardens. Great view at night. Maybe it wasn't open at night yet.

Lambie, Victoria is so pretty. We took a pub tour and had a ball. Our first stop provided finger foods and one or two beers. We could walk out on their back patio and the views and gardens were so pretty. They had these lamposts with flowers that were so pretty. I just hated that our time there was so short. Great pictures. Chiefie is right about the gardens. I didn't see them, but, understand they are really nice.

To be honest... I planned to tour the gardens and see the lights... But when I went down to the area to debark... and the line was HUGE and LONG... I would have needed to stand in line about an hour to debark and stand in line to go through security... I just could not do that, physically!! (nor did I think I could stand in line, again, to get back on!)

I decided to go to the bow and watch. I would see when the line was low... and by that time, it was too late to catch any tours. So I just got off the ship, so I could say I went to BC.

Shirley is right... it's just too short a port visit!!!

I wish more itineraries included a full day in Victoria. The city is just so beautiful and there is so much to do there. I grew up in WA and have been to Victoria many times. Like you, on our last cruise, we didn't go into town either. Not sure that we will on our next cruise either. It's a shame the time is so short especially since it is such a popular city.

...and once they arrived, we said GoodBye to Kent, and he went off to explore and finish playing tourist in Seattle -- and the four of us took an SUV limo to the pier!!!

Pier 91...

Tell me about this SUV limo? I'm not sure I understand? We'll be staying in Seattle...How much is an SUV limo to the pier? That sounds rather cool. They'll be 5 of us.

What were some of the "Excursion" tips from Stu? I was thinking about the Tracy Arm excursion and/or maybe the Mildenhall Wildlife and Whale Watching tour...We'll be going this July. I'm guessing it probably won't be as cold. Was the Tracy Arm limited because it was still so "icy" thus you couldn't get as close to shore or was it just new regulations? You seemed to love the train. I wasn't really clear...do you get to stop and walk around or is it a train all the way thru?

Loved your review...We've got an "Aft Wrap". I've never been in a suite before but our friends are on their first...they wanted a super balcony. The price for the Aft Wrap suite was strangely the same price as a regular balcony on any other cruise line...weird...stupid maybe but that's how we justified getting a suite.

There was no need for rain in Seattle on Debarkation Day! My tears would fill the whole port and town... I'm sure everyone just thought the tide was higher than normal...

But you and I know... my tears of sadness... they are kicking me off the SPIRIT. It's quite a RUDE thing to do!!! ...But they do it anyway!!

The four of us cabin-mates head up to the MDR for our final breakfast on board. A couple last photos...

232323232%7Ffp63587%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A675%3A9349nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp635%3A2%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A675%3A%3A349nu0mrj

...and eggs benedict and an english muffin with orange marmalade...

Once they start announcing debarkation... Self Assists my proceed to the Lobby. Platinum may leave as they please. Those who used the Luggage Express are able to leave at any time...

So, being Platinum, we leave the dining room, walk down to the lobby, and there really is NO LINE... so it's off the ship, down the gangway, thru the terminal, the suitcases are waiting and easy to find, the porter and his trolley is there for all of us, and into a line for customs... Only two people ahead of me... and we're out the front door... It's the fastest debark I've ever accomplished. I LOVE THIS PORT!!!

One last look at our home away from home, as we wait for our limo to take us away.

232323232%7Ffp63597%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A675%3A%3B349nu0mrj

The ride to the airport... still brings surprises... A draw bridge!!

232323232%7Ffp73467%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A675%3B4349nu0mrj

Could you imagine, commuting to work and just barely on time... and then the traffic comes to a dead stop... The draw bridge is up... What a HOOT...

...and the LONG WAIT at Sea-Tac airport, for our flight home!!!

232323232%7Ffp733%3C7%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A675%3A8349nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp7345%3B%3Enu%3D4249%3E637%3E234%3EWSNRCG%3D3539%3A%3A%3A8%3C8349nu0mrj

I'll check back here for any questions or comments...

But this concludes the review... Please be sure your seat backs and tray tables are in their locked and upright position before you leave!!!

I'll check back here for any questions or comments...

But this concludes the review... Please be sure your seat backs and tray tables are in their locked and upright position before you leave!!!

Thanks for an amazing ride :) Enjoyed all the pictures...curious were you able to stay on the platform for the entire train ride?

Edited by ohiogymrat

I wish more itineraries included a full day in Victoria. The city is just so beautiful and there is so much to do there. I grew up in WA and have been to Victoria many times. Like you, on our last cruise, we didn't go into town either. Not sure that we will on our next cruise either. It's a shame the time is so short especially since it is such a popular city.

You are right!! I think the next time I head to Seattle to cruise, I'll take a week before and make Victoria a day trip by ferry!!! I'd love to see it!!!

Tell me about this SUV limo? I'm not sure I understand? We'll be staying in Seattle...How much is an SUV limo to the pier? That sounds rather cool. They'll be 5 of us.

What were some of the "Excursion" tips from Stu? I was thinking about the Tracy Arm excursion and/or maybe the Mildenhall Wildlife and Whale Watching tour...We'll be going this July. I'm guessing it probably won't be as cold. Was the Tracy Arm limited because it was still so "icy" thus you couldn't get as close to shore or was it just new regulations? You seemed to love the train. I wasn't really clear...do you get to stop and walk around or is it a train all the way thru?

Loved your review...We've got an "Aft Wrap". I've never been in a suite before but our friends are on their first...they wanted a super balcony. The price for the Aft Wrap suite was strangely the same price as a regular balcony on any other cruise line...weird...stupid maybe but that's how we justified getting a suite.

OK, SUV Limo: Seattle Orange Airport Express is who we used. 206-718-3040. Tavot was our driver and we used him to take us from the ferry to the terminal, then from the terminal to the ferry, where Roy and Jenn got off -- then Karen and I headed on to the airport.

The Carnival bus that takes you to the airport is $21 per person.

We paid $45 to take 4 of us to the terminal from the ferry before the cruise. All our suitcases and we fit. No problem. one more could fit too. We each paid $15, giving him the tip.

On the way back on Debark day... it was $65 to drop two at the terminal, and two to the airport.

As for Stu's advice: He says don't go all the way to Alaska and only walk around the town, or stay on the ship. Realize that the weather is part of Alaska, no matter what it is... That's Alaska!!

The tracy arms glacier explorer is $179.99 and recommended.

In Skagway: Ther train is highlighted. There are MANY different combinations for the train... i choose the one that is three hours and takes you up to the pass and into Canada and does NOT let you get off... $124.99 -- but there are bus rides and helicopters that do the same thing!

And the train also goes farther -- unless it gets stuck, where you get off and have adventures... hike to Laughton Glacier or the Sawtooth hike or Gold Camp. Even a way to take the train up and ride a bike back down.

Also recommended is to see a dog sled camp and the mushing teams. or panning for gold...

The whale tour in Juneau is recommended.

The lumberjack show in Ketchikan is recomended too.

He highlights many things -- but really says find what's best for what YOU like... and what would make this cruise THE DREAM of a LIFETIME.

Thanks for an amazing ride :) Enjoyed all the pictures...curious were you able to stay on the platform for the entire train ride?

THANK YOU!!! "Able to" stay on the platform, YES!!! but weather wise... nope... TOO COLD, especially when you add the wind chill and wetness of rain then snow!!! But it's open and available the whole ride!!!

If you get the last car, it's a great "aft view" and open. but coming back, they have you flip the seats in the cars, and change sides with your across the aisle neighbors, and you stay in the same car and same seat up and back. But the last car is now directly behind the engine, so the first car has the "aft view" coming home!!!

They do NOT let you move between cars as the train is moving!!!

I am only at the beginning..Lambie you are a priceless positive Woman...I loved the decor on this ship too..you honored and loved the NW and Aaska (have not been yet) so beautifully...I LOVE Montana but love the NW times 10 and am praying i can get back there to live one day...God bless you..thanks for such fabulous photos of the NW and all it's beauty and the ship and alaska...God bless...Sarah

Lambknuckles, it is so much fun reading your review and the photos are great. We are getting even more excited after reading this and looking at your photos. We will be on the Spirit on June 5th and this will be our 2nd Alaska cruise. We are just as excited as our first one in 2002, even more so because I have a sister and BIL that will be with us for their 1st for Alaska. Wow are they in for a very memorable adventure. :D As for the rain we will be expecting for most of the week is no biggy and all part of being in Alaska for sure.

Thank you for taking us, your readers, on such an amazing journey. This is in the top 3 reviews of all time,IMO.

A couple of comments. Are you sure your pictures were not postcards?;) They were truly amazing and your review really made it feel we were experiencing it with you!

Whales do not breach very often. It is very inefficient energy wise for them and there is no known reason why it is done. Breaches tend to occur on days of increasing winds, so not sure if this was the case when you saw a whale breach and not all species of whales breach. That is always a privilege to see a breach in the wild. Only about 10% of the time is a breach seen.

Since whales are in Alaska to feed, that is sometimes happening subsurface. It depends on where the food is.

Your one-legged seagull? They do that sometimes. Go figure. They tuck the other leg up into their feathers.

I hope you don't mind if I bookmark your review to get my "Alaska fix". I will go one day.

Edited by saltmom1

Lambie, loved, loved your review. I am always so sad when they come to an end. I totally agree with the other poster, your pictures could be post cards, they are that good. Hope to see ya in either OKC in June, SA in July or NO in Sept for sure. Give Nana an extra hug!

Have to echo what everyone else is saying---this was one fabulous review!! Thank you for taking me on your journey! I've got a much clearer picture of what will work for my multi-generational group now.

Your pictures are absolutely priceless!

Hey Lambie... sounds like you had a wonderful time.... thanks for sharing!!! I loved reliving my Alaska cruise as I read your review!!! Alaska is definitely a place that should be on everyone's "bucket list"