Panama--Two Oceans By Railroad

If anybody can help me, I would greatly appreciate it....I am booked for the Carnival Legend Western Caribbean cruise on Jan 4, 2006 to Belize, Costa Rica, and Panama. We have a group of seven going and are looking for some input from passengers who have recently taken the Two Oceans by Railroad excursion in Panama. My question is about the bus portion of the tour...as far as where does it visit. I've been to Panama several times, but I'm the only one in the group that has. I was wanting to take the others (we're all family members) to Miraflores, Quarry Heights, Panama City, Bridge of the Americas, the former Albrook Air Force Station, former Fort Clayton, former Fort Amador, Panama Canal Commission HQ, etc. Obviously, I won't find a tour that goes to all of these places, but to at least see a few of them again would be great for me, and obviously we all want to see the Canal. The tour description says it includes a tour of Miraflores, and resumably the new Miraflores Visitor Center, but I've heard on the Panama port boards that the Princess Domed Train tour no longer stops at Miraflores, but I'm not sure about Carnival's tour. There is just so much to do and see in Panama--I spent a total of about 8 months in Panama, and still didn't see half of the country....still love the hotel and bar at Isla Taboga...........

We rode the on the Panama Canal Railway and bus ride with Carnival in 2003 and although I don't remember the details I do know that we felt it was very much worth the time and money. I do remember the Navy Base and the Bridge of the Americas. We seen a barge dredging the canal and stopped at a welcome center for the canal.

We also rode the Green Train in Costa Rico which was an entirely different experience but also wonderful going through the jungle seeing monkeys in the wild etc.

This was my favorite cruise out of the 14 we have been on and is a wonderful way of seeing the canal without taking 12 or 14 day cruise.

By all means, do this excursion! The bus takes you to miraflores and to the tip across from Panama city. You litterly see two oceans! On the way back, they stop and let you walk to take pictures of the bridge and then show you some other city sights. We have never been to Panama and felt the excursion was well worth the price. There is a great flea market at the end with lots of local color. Have fun!

Thank you both for the info...I know that none of the cruise ships spend enough time there, but one thing I remember was really interesting....seeing the sun rise in the Pacific and set in the Atlantic oceans.....Panama is the only place in the world where this happens due to the unique shape of the country. I think we'll end up taking the railroad excursion. I've been through the canal on sailboats, canoes, and even on a freighter, and really didn't want to spend all day on a ferry boat cruising the canal when there is so much more to see. Thanks again for the info!

Archived