Post Vancouver Tour and Hotel

Merriem

We are thinking about taking a tour when we get off in Vancouver, (we fly home the next day) and ending up at the airport. It seems like less hassle than checking into a hotel, getting a cab, and driving out there early the next morning. Any recommendations. Thanks.

We have an 8:30am flight, so I thought it would be easier. The Fairmont at the Airport has direct walking into there.

That is certainly a good choice another one to consider is the Delta Airport Hotel which is at the east end of the airport and 3 minutes from the terminal. Other than that there is the Marriott, Hilton and Four Points by Sheraton in nearby Richmond but you will be 7 to 10 minutes away from YVR by shuttle.

If its your first time in Vancouver a great tour is the hop on hop off bus. It gives you the best of the city. You will still need to take a taxi or bus to the airport....you might also check to see if the sky train has an airport stop. I believe they added that for the Olympics.

If its your first time in Vancouver a great tour is the hop on hop off bus. It gives you the best of the city. You will still need to take a taxi or bus to the airport....you might also check to see if the sky train has an airport stop. I believe they added that for the Olympics.

Good call on both points. We now have 3 HOHO operating during the summer in Vancouver. My personal fave is the Vancouver Trolley who pioneered the service in Vancouver and have live narration. You do have the issue of what to do with your luggage but there is a luggage checking service at Canada Place or you could take it to the Pan Pacific or the Fairmont Waterfront hotel and tip the bell-desk to hold it for you.

It is the Canada Line which you are speaking of which is basically all subway but it does run from Waterfront Station, the red brick building to the left of Canada Place (about a 3 block walk) out to YVR station and the cost is $3.75 pp ($2.50 if over 65) CDN funds only, however the ticket machines do accept most US credit cards and ATM cards.

www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/

http://www.vancouverpinkbustours.com/

http://www.prioritybaggage.ca/

Last September we got the 4* Westin Wall Centre on an $80 bid on Priceline by bidding the 4* in the Vancouver Airport zone. It was perfect for an overnight hotel before flying out the following morning. And just about a 5-10 minute cab ride to the airport.

Last September we got the 4* Westin Wall Centre on an $80 bid on Priceline by bidding the 4* in the Vancouver Airport zone. It was perfect for an overnight hotel before flying out the following morning. And just about a 5-10 minute cab ride to the airport.

Thanks for that info. We are actually staying there next Friday night after our cruise and did not know how far it was from the airport. That will be easy: :D

Merriem,

We have used the luggage storage at the Pan Pacific. The HOHO busses stop right in front of the hotel and it's a terrific way to see Vancouver at your leisure. Plan on stopping on Granville Island for lunch and a stroll through the market and galleries.

I'm sure you know that you will go through both Canadian and US security at YVR so do plan on arriving at the airport no less than 2 - 2 1/2 hours before your flight. When you land you may want to casually time your walk from the gate to security. Some of the US airlines are a hike from the main terminal. This will give you a feel for just how much time you may require on your sad departure.

Also be aware that some of the shuttles from/to Richmond make several hotel stops so 7-10 minutes may be undercutting it a bit.

Have a wonderful cruise.

We got the Westin on Priceline for the night we arrive, and will take a taxi to the ship. I really wanted to stay at the Fairmont at the airport, so booked that for the night the ships returns. We have an 8:30 am flight, so it will be really convenient. I think we will do something that day that drops us off at the airport when we are done. I have seen several.

It really should be a great trip, and you have all been very helpful.

Don't remember if the bus goes there (though I'm pretty sure it does), but Stanley Park is really nice and has a very nice aquarium.

There used to be a free bus that operated in Stanley Park during the summer, unfortunately this service fell under the budget axe a few years ago. The transit bus only makes one stop in the park. However the Vancouver Trolley people have introduced a great HOHO service for $10 p/p.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/tour/stanley-park-shuttle

There used to be a free bus that operated in Stanley Park during the summer, unfortunately this service fell under the budget axe a few years ago. The transit bus only makes one stop in the park. However the Vancouver Trolley people have introduced a great HOHO service for $10 p/p.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/tour/stanley-park-shuttle

It's been a few years since I've been to Vancouver and we did most of our touring either walking or had a rental car (we were driving to/from Whistler too) so we didn't have to worry about the bus. Than HOHO service sounds nice for the area.

It's been a few years since I've been to Vancouver and we did most of our touring either walking or had a rental car (we were driving to/from Whistler too) so we didn't have to worry about the bus. Than HOHO service sounds nice for the area.

We Vancouverites who post on this forum really try to discourage people from renting cars unless they have plans to go to Whistler, Vancouver Island or some outlying area. The issues with cars is that Vancouver is becoming less and car friendly almost by the month. It is not an easy city to navigate in. Parking at any hotel is going to run you upward of $25 per night and you will be paying for parking at almost all of the attractions you visit. Attractions like the Capilano Suspension bridge and Grouse Mountain offer free shuttles from downtown, there are the HOHOs, numerous tours and even transit if you know where you want to go and don't want narration about what you are seeing.

We Vancouverites who post on this forum really try to discourage people from renting cars unless they have plans to go to Whistler, Vancouver Island or some outlying area. The issues with cars is that Vancouver is becoming less and car friendly almost by the month. It is not an easy city to navigate in. Parking at any hotel is going to run you upward of $25 per night and you will be paying for parking at almost all of the attractions you visit. Attractions like the Capilano Suspension bridge and Grouse Mountain offer free shuttles from downtown, there are the HOHOs, numerous tours and even transit if you know where you want to go and don't want narration about what you are seeing.

I agree 100%!

Archived