Dolphins Dolphins Dolphins....

zrmmiller

I know I could post this on the Cozumel board but some of my questions are specific to Carnival so I thought I would ask here first.

We are headed out on the Magic and have booked the Dolphins Swim in Cozumel. We booked through Carnival I know we could book through parks, but I was crazy and worried it would sell out. This is the one thing we have promised the kids.

That being said my kids are 13, 8 and 5 (turning 6 just when we get back). All three want to do the swim. I am worried that my 5 year old won't be able to.

We are booked through Carnival at Dolphinaris. The Carnival site says no minimum age, it also mentions nothing about height restrictions. When I went to the Dolphinaris site it says 6 years and 4 feet. The Carnival site says 5 and under free but it charged me for her.

I also checked at Dolphin Discovery. On the Carnival site it says no minimum age but 3 ft 11 in. The Dolphin Discovery site says 3 ft 11 in and 8 years old.

Like I said she turns 6 just after we get back, But she is short - 3 ft 6 in. We have paid for Dolphinaris through Carnival. Does anyone know how strict the height/are restrictions are? She is a great swimmer but if her safety is at risk we clearly won't do it.

I would like to know ahead of time so that if that's the case we could switch her to the Dolphin encounter for a cheaper price. But she just wants to keep up with her older brothers. Plus I know I am being selfish but I really want to do the swim too.....

I'd like to figure this out before we end up there and she is told she can't do it. Also, since the Carnival site lists no age or height restrictions for Dolphinaris if we get there and she has to switch to the encounter will Carnival refund the difference?

Not trying to work the system, I just want to make sure we aren't paying for something she can't do.

Thanks

For a little one like that Id book the Dolphin Encounter. My 12 yr old DD did that one and loved it.

They are in the water standing on grating about waist deep. The dolphin comes to them...they get to hug, kiss, shake hands/flippers, dance and feed it a fish. It was very interactive and for a small child or someone who is not a strong swimmer, it is perfect. My DD loved it, was the highlight of her cruise.

I did the swim and you do have to swim out into water (it wasnt a pool so think strong current) to do the dolphin push and the one where they pull you by the fin. You do have life jackets but I still found it very physical.

Also, ....DH and I did the swim in Cozumel (Chakanaab Park)....I let DD do the Encounter in Nassau (Dolphin Discovery)....IMHO the encounter in Nassau was more intimate and personal...and when I look at her pictures of it there is just pure joy in her eyes.

I booked direct and actually talked to someone on the phone. We have 2 four year olds in our group of 10. We booked the Dophin Swim for the older bunch and the encounter for the younger 2. They will still put us all together. The four year olds will do the encounter part and they said if they are brave enough they can do some of the other activities. We'll just have to see how they do when they get there.

We did this a couple of times. The first time, older DS did the Royal Swim and younger DS and I did the encounter. He was probably a little over 5 then and he could not do anything but the Encounter. This was at Chakannab. They did not charge me for him.

In April, we were there again and me and the boys did the Royal Swim. Younger DS is now going on 10 (birthday in July) and believe me, I had to really hold on to his vest to keep him stable. You are waist deep on metal grating that is somewhat slippery, and you are battling the current that comes in from the ocean (this is not a pool or enclosed area).

We had to swim out to do the dorsal fin pull and the foot push. Little DS swims well, and he really worked to get out there in the middle, but the look on his face in those pictures is worth a $1 million!

I might suggest the Encounter if she's really that small.

Thanks so much, I don't know why I didn't think of calling them direct. The lady on the phone was so helpful. We are all booked in the swim and my daughter will do as little or as much as she wants/can. We switched to Dolphin Discovery as I like the idea of being able to be at the park all day.

Thanks Again!!

We did it in 2010 and there was a little guy in our group...guessing 5 years.

Life jackets are MANDATORY for everyone so combined with her good swimming skills, she should be fine.

OH, and bring your own waterproof camera...they are allowed :)!

We did the swim with dolphins with out children years ago. They were 5 and 8. We have been on numerous trips since, but they still talk about that experience. I would highly recommend it. You have to wear lifejackets. I would say go for it. My son is very small, and had no problems with this at all. Have fun!

Archived