Rome-Athens or Athens-Istanbul? Star or Spirit?

westchestermom

As the title states, we are considering one of the two sailings departing on August 11, 2012. Does anyone have an opinion on which itinerary would be most interesting for an active mid-50's couple? We have been to Rome, and my husband has been to Athens. Key proviso is we will have to depart the final destination city immediately (well, sometime that day) and so should not factor the time to visit that city into the equation. I know the Star has been completely refurbished and the Spirit only the cabins, but I wonder whether that should factor into the decision. Opinions? Experiences?

• 1 month later...

We just returned from the Istanbul - Athens itinerary on June 3. We spent 3 nights in Istanbul at the beginning of our trip, and I would have to say that I would have hated to miss this fascinating city. 3 nights was enough, but not too much. For that reason, given that you must depart immediately, I would definitely recommend the Istanbul-Athens run.

The cabins on the WindSpirit are beautiful and comfortably appointed. The bathroom, for a ship, is amazing, and the beds are very comfy. While the refurb. of the common areas has not yet been completed on the WindSpirit, I sure didn't see anything wrong with it! We were in port in Bodrum on the same day as the WindStar, and although we did not get to tour the WindStar, they are certainly identical outside.

If you have any questions, I would be glad to try to answer them.

I concur with divegal for many of the same reasons. Having done the itinerary three times, I also prefer getting home faster from Athens.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

I've only travelled on the Wind Spirit, but it is my understanding that the ships are virtually identical. At this time the Star has been completely refurbished, with the Spirit being completed prior to its caribbean season later this year. You don't state if you are looking at a 2012 or 2013 sailing.

We are planning on the Istanbul-Athens route next year. We will be arriving in Istanbul early for several days of sightseeing and departing Athens immediately to head home. Never been to Istanbul, have been to Athens which played into our decision.

The second reason we decided Istanbul-Athens, is because our captain on the Wind Spirit this year told us that normally the winds were better on that route - thus, more opportunities to be "under sail" with no motors.:D I figured the "captain knows best!"

Good luck with your planning.

• 7 months later...

Archived