Off the Fascination just yesterday - same problem we had on the Sensation last year

6 of us

Making a long story short:

Walked down the hall for the first time to our port hole cabin, got to our door & smelled smoke, strong. I turned & asked the room steward why it smelled so smokey. He said, "no one smokes in the cabins ma'am." WE open the door & ugh! It wreaked. I immediately turned off the air, if you read my post from last year, you will see we knew exactly what the problem was, just like last year. I'll put last year's post link at the bottom of this.

YOu may think I am not too bright booking another port hole cabin knowing this could happen, but last year, after that post, I called Carnival to let them know. The lady actually pulled up blue prints (she said) & assured me it had to be coming from another cabin, even though the cabin steward kept telling me it was pulling in from a public area where smoking was allowed. I figured this year that the no smoking in the cabin policy was in effect, no danger. Wrong. It pulls in from another floor, the last cabin steward as well as this one on the Fascination both said it does & there is nothing that can be done & they appear to be correct. So... what do ya do? Our clothes stunk, the linens, everything. We couldn't use the air at all or we would have a cabin full of smokey smell, very strong. I can't be the only one who has had this problem. It really can ruin your time, trying to sleep breathing that crap & not to mention, in a hot humid room.

Here is last year's post if you are interested. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

Have you ever used a product called Ozium? I think it's the best air sanitizer that there is on the market. Just a few short sprays and all odor is eliminated.

I wouldn't travel without it. You can buy it in the automotive area of Walmarts and Kmarts in the section that sells cleaning/waxing supplies. Some of the grocery stores sell it too.

Have you ever used a product called Ozium? I think it's the best air sanitizer that there is on the market. Just a few short sprays and all odor is eliminated.

I wouldn't travel without it. You can buy it in the automotive area of Walmarts and Kmarts in the section that sells cleaning/waxing supplies. Some of the grocery stores sell it too.

i don't think that'll work if it's just feeding into the cabin through the vents.

Making a long story short:

Walked down the hall for the first time to our port hole cabin, got to our door & smelled smoke, strong. I turned & asked the room steward why it smelled so smokey. He said, "no one smokes in the cabins ma'am." WE open the door & ugh! It wreaked. I immediately turned off the air, if you read my post from last year, you will see we knew exactly what the problem was, just like last year. I'll put last year's post link at the bottom of this.

YOu may think I am not too bright booking another port hole cabin knowing this could happen, but last year, after that post, I called Carnival to let them know. The lady actually pulled up blue prints (she said) & assured me it had to be coming from another cabin, even though the cabin steward kept telling me it was pulling in from a public area where smoking was allowed. I figured this year that the no smoking in the cabin policy was in effect, no danger. Wrong. It pulls in from another floor, the last cabin steward as well as this one on the Fascination both said it does & there is nothing that can be done & they appear to be correct. So... what do ya do? Our clothes stunk, the linens, everything. We couldn't use the air at all or we would have a cabin full of smokey smell, very strong. I can't be the only one who has had this problem. It really can ruin your time, trying to sleep breathing that crap & not to mention, in a hot humid room.

Here is last year's post if you are interested. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

I feel so sorry for you. Carol and I are fortunate (I guess) in that smoke doesn't bother us that much. Although we have been run off a balcony or two by bad smelling cigars.

What are you going to do?

this time the Main deck, last year we were on the Upper deck.

I guess we have been lucky.......have been on the Main deck on the Facination twice this year and have not had a problem at all.

Sorry you did......:o

this time the Main deck, last year we were on the Upper deck.

That's so strange. I have had a PT on Main on Imagination (sister ship) and never had any problem of that nature whatsoever. Which makes me think it is a cabin-to-cabin issue since a public space with smoking would always be smoky making the PTs always smoke-scented.

I'm sorry for your experience. I hope you otherwise had a nice trip.

We had the same situation in R7 on the Sensation last year. I thought someone had been smoking in the cabin prior to us getting there, but the smell persisted all week (we were on a back to back). I just booked M11 for the Sensation and was flirting with the idea of upgrading to an OV. You just helped me make up my mind to switch.

Sometimes I really love these boards:D

to the question " how was the rest of the cruise", it was good, but no sleep & being nauseated & having a sore throat (that is how bad the smoke was) was a damper on the day.

to the question "what are you going to do", well, nothing. What can I do? I can't imagine Carnival would do anything for me. It will just definitely influence my decision on future cruises. I am a little shocked that this problem exists. I have found carnival to have excellent customer service so I am surprised that they have a problem they haven't addressed.

to the "what cabin number" question, this time we were in M7 on the Fascination. It was so strong you could smell it in the hall right in front of our cabin. I think last year we were in U2 on the Sensation.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1418396

THere is the link to the post from last year, not sure what I posted before OOPS! I also just pasted the full post from last year below to make it easy in case anyone wants to read it:

Awesome cruise, loved it. This post would probably only matter to those who are not smokers.

We had a FABULOUS cabin, a port hole cabin at the very front of the boat, loved it. Then, after a few hours the 1st day, we popped back to the cabin for something & it smelled strong of smoke. The cabin steward was quick to tell us no one had smoked in or near the cabin, but the smoke was being pulled in by the a/c from decks above where people smoke. We were on the upper deck, so we had cabins above us, but apparently the way the air system was built, this cabin's a/c pulled from one of the decks. Well, we are not smokers, & frankly, I don't want to breath it or smell like it, it does stink & was getting stronger. Turned out, the only way to keep from smelling it was to keep the air off. Well you know how long that lasted with the heat & humidity. So Carnival had to keep bringing in an ionizer/ozone machine thing, to neutralize the smell. Unfortunately, we were locked out of our cabin while it was in use. It also left a very strong chemical kind of smell, in our clothes & everything. As usual though, Carnival showed their excellent customer service, they tried to help. They wanted to give us another cabin but the ship was full. They called us, came to see us, called us again. They showed proper concern, but this was a problem with the way they built this system so, there wasn't much they could do? I appreciate the efforts, tough problem for them to have.

So if you cruise on this ship, be aware of Cabin U2 if you happen to be a non-smoker

to the question " how was the rest of the cruise", it was good, but no sleep & being nauseated & having a sore throat (that is how bad the smoke was) was a damper on the day.

to the question "what are you going to do", well, nothing. What can I do? I can't imagine Carnival would do anything for me. It will just definitely influence my decision on future cruises. I am a little shocked that this problem exists. I have found carnival to have excellent customer service so I am surprised that they have a problem they haven't addressed.

to the "what cabin number" question, this time we were in M7 on the Fascination. It was so strong you could smell it in the hall right in front of our cabin. I think last year we were in U2 on the Sensation.

That is the EXACT cabin I was in on Imagination!!

We had the same situation in R7 on the Sensation last year. I thought someone had been smoking in the cabin prior to us getting there, but the smell persisted all week (we were on a back to back). I just booked M11 for the Sensation and was flirting with the idea of upgrading to an OV. You just helped me make up my mind to switch.

Sometimes I really love these boards:D

I am SO happy this has happened to someone else (not in a bad way). Carnival needs to know this, please call or email them so they can tend to it. I am sure they will fix it if they can see that it is just not 1 crazy family :D. I am planning to call them today to report this again.

In a case like this can't you invoke the Carnival Guarantee and get off the ship at the first port, fly home on their dime, and get are fund for days not cruised?

We're so confident you'll enjoy your Carnival cruise vacation, we guarantee it. Carnival is the only cruise line to offer the Vacation Guarantee*. Simply book your cruise vacation and sail away on a "Fun Ship." If you are not completely satisfied with your cruise vacation experience, all you need to do is notify us before arrival at the first port of call and you must debark at your ship's first non-U.S. port of call. Carnival will refund the unused portion of your cruise fare and pay your flight back.

*VACATION GUARANTEE VALID ONLY IF GUEST ADVISES SHIP’S INFORMATION DESK OF ELECTION TO DEBARK AND RECEIVE PRO-RATA REFUND BEFORE THE SHIP’S ARRIVAL AT THE FIRST NON-U.S. PORT OF CALL. Refund amount will be calculated by multiplying (x) amount of cruise fare paid by guest by (y) number of unused cruise nights, divided by (z) total number of cruise nights of guest’s voyage. Refund will include the amount of an Economy fare airline ticket from port of debarkation to port of embarkation. To receive refund, guest must send copy of purchased airline ticket to the Refunds department. Refund checks will be mailed within 30 days of cruise termination. Guests paying by credit card will have the money refunded to the same card. Carnival will not be responsible for any incidental expenses of guests following debarkation. Other limitations apply. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED AND NOT APPLICABLE ON ALASKA, EUROPE, HAWAII, PANAMA CANAL, SOUTH AMERICA ITINERARIES AND CRUISES-TO-NOWHERE. The number of cruise days before arrival at first non-U.S. port of call varies by itinerary. See any travel agent for more information. Vacation Guarantee applies to cruise departures through and including December 14, 2012. Applies to U.S. and Canadian residents only. Due to a U.S. Government requirement, guests must be in possession of a valid passport to return to the U.S. by air from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, The Bahamas and Bermuda. This guarantee does not apply to Panama Canal and South America cruises, as well as Alaska, Europe and Hawaii cruises.

i dont understand how it pulls in air from another deck, they must not work like ac units in houses or cars. they dont pull in fresh air, way too hot to cool, they just cool the air in the car. dont know about ships.

I was in a port hole cabin on empress on the Fascination the week before you. We didn't have any problems with a smokey smell. I'm sorry to hear that. My mom and I are the same way with a smoke smell.We wouldn't have been happy if that happened to us either.

We were on the Fascination last month, our room was on the upper deck # U21 (last OV room down our hallway) - no smell of smoke, HOWEVER my daughter was in the first PT room, beside our room, # U17 and there definately was a smell of smoke.

I complained to Martin - the cabin stewart and he assured me that the previous guests in that room were non-smokers.. he offered to use the odorizer machine thingy, while we were at dinner. It helped the smell a bit, my DD and her friend said it wasn't so bad but I could still smell it.

Martin said that it had to do with the ventilation and this was not the first complaint he's had. :(

If I may add to this... We were on the Fascination last week as well. My wife and I both smoke but never in our cabin of course. I think it was Thursday night we entered our cabin and there was a smoke smell that was just horrible. I thought there must be a fire somewhere! It dissipated after a while but I still wonder what it was. Perhaps to OP's cabin was closer to the source of whatever it was. We were on the Empress deck, mid ship.

We were on the Fascination last month, our room was on the upper deck # U21 (last OV room down our hallway) - no smell of smoke, HOWEVER my daughter was in the first PT room, beside our room, # U17 and there definately was a smell of smoke.

I complained to Martin - the cabin stewart and he assured me that the previous guests in that room were non-smokers.. he offered to use the odorizer machine thingy, while we were at dinner. It helped the smell a bit, my DD and her friend said it wasn't so bad but I could still smell it.

Martin said that it had to do with the ventilation and this was not the first complaint he's had. :(

I just wish Carnival had more people call them & let them know, maybe I'll print this blog & send it to them so they will believe me.

In a case like this can't you invoke the Carnival Guarantee and get off the ship at the first port, fly home on their dime, and get are fund for days not cruised?

Absolutely, 100 percent agreed. I would have invoked the guarantee. Clean air in the cabin is probably one of the most important issues to me.

I've been lucky so far, and never had any smoke problem, but I keep a copy of the guarantee with me on every cruise.

Archived