Bermuda via Celebrity Summit - accessibility report

NHBeadLady

We just returned from our first ever visit to Bermuda while cruising with Celebrity Summit. Prior to our trip, I had read everything possible about handicapped accessibility in Bermuda and most of what I read was bleak but wrong! My husband is in a wheelchair full time - either a manual or a power chair. As we live within driving distance (6 hours) of Cape Liberty in New Jersey, we brought both. Using a manual chair on board the ship is difficult because of the carpeting so we like to travel with a power chair. Both chairs fit nicely in our H/C accessible room.

I had previously read that power chairs were not allowed on Bermuda. And that is WRONG. DH had absolutely NO problems getting around with his power chair. We visited Hamilton and St. George after docking at pier. All, or at least all we saw, roads had curb cuts. Most stores and shops were accessible. As with any old city, obviously not everything was, but that's true everywhere.

I was told no buses were H/C accessible. Again, NOT true. You just need to watch for the ones that are. Same with Taxis! The ferries were fully accessible. Even the trolley had ramps for the back compartment. What a pleasant surprise!

When we arrived we took the ferry to Hamilton where I had arranged a private tour of the Island with Access Bermuda - Tel. 441-295-9106 or email: keithsimmons (at) ibl.bm. His website is http://www.access.bm. Keith Simmons works for the Department of the Ministry and is disabled himself. He is working diligently at making ALL of Bermuda accessible. There are also taxis that wait outside the ship area - some have signs saying H/C accessible.

We took a glass-bottom boat trip that was not accessible but the people were so helpful that we were able to get my husband on board and seated and left the chair at the dock (which was locked so no fear of theft). But we did talk to them ahead of time to make arrangements and they were most helpful. This was right at the dock where our ship docked. I understand there is another glass-bottom boat in Hamilton that is fully accessible, we just didn't need to go there for it.

My final thought: do not overlook Bermuda if you have physical limitations!

Thank you for this report. I am glad it went so well for you. I noticed you are from Rochester, NH. We lived there when my DH was stationed at Pease AFB many years ago. Our daughter was born in Kittery, Maine at the Naval Base so I have lots of pleasant memories of your area - not so much for the snow though.

We just returned from our first ever visit to Bermuda while cruising with Celebrity Summit. Prior to our trip, I had read everything possible about handicapped accessibility in Bermuda and most of what I read was bleak but wrong! My husband is in a wheelchair full time - either a manual or a power chair. As we live within driving distance (6 hours) of Cape Liberty in New Jersey, we brought both. Using a manual chair on board the ship is difficult because of the carpeting so we like to travel with a power chair. Both chairs fit nicely in our H/C accessible room.

I had previously read that power chairs were not allowed on Bermuda. And that is WRONG. DH had absolutely NO problems getting around with his power chair. We visited Hamilton and St. George after docking at pier. All, or at least all we saw, roads had curb cuts. Most stores and shops were accessible. As with any old city, obviously not everything was, but that's true everywhere.

I was told no buses were H/C accessible. Again, NOT true. You just need to watch for the ones that are. Same with Taxis! The ferries were fully accessible. Even the trolley had ramps for the back compartment. What a pleasant surprise!

When we arrived we took the ferry to Hamilton where I had arranged a private tour of the Island with Access Bermuda - Tel. 441-295-9106 or email: keithsimmons (at) ibl.bm. His website is http://www.access.bm. Keith Simmons works for the Department of the Ministry and is disabled himself. He is working diligently at making ALL of Bermuda accessible. There are also taxis that wait outside the ship area - some have signs saying H/C accessible.

We took a glass-bottom boat trip that was not accessible but the people were so helpful that we were able to get my husband on board and seated and left the chair at the dock (which was locked so no fear of theft). But we did talk to them ahead of time to make arrangements and they were most helpful. This was right at the dock where our ship docked. I understand there is another glass-bottom boat in Hamilton that is fully accessible, we just didn't need to go there for it.

My final thought: do not overlook Bermuda if you have physical limitations!

where did you board the glass bottom boat? what is the schedule and what is the cost? appreciate any help.

Thank you for the Bermuda update. I'm so glad that we can visit Bermuda. I would also like to know about the glass bottom boat ride. Did they put your power chair inside a building to keep it safe?

Thank you for this report. I am glad it went so well for you. I noticed you are from Rochester, NH. We lived there when my DH was stationed at Pease AFB many years ago. Our daughter was born in Kittery, Maine at the Naval Base so I have lots of pleasant memories of your area - not so much for the snow though.

If we could find a way to eliminate the snow, there would be thousands of us residents a whole lot happier!

Thank you for the Bermuda update. I'm so glad that we can visit Bermuda. I would also like to know about the glass bottom boat ride. Did they put your power chair inside a building to keep it safe?
where did you board the glass bottom boat? what is the schedule and what is the cost? appreciate any help.

I wish I could remember the name of the outfit, but I can't. As you dock at Pier and walk toward town and the ferry boat, there is a ticket booth that you have to walk right by. On the side of the booth are the times for the glass-bottom boat trip. If I remember correctly, they go out twice a day - daytime and evening. However, one warning.....you will not be able to get the power chair down the ramp to the boat. I suggest for that trip that you borrow a manual one from your ship if possible. I didn't have that problem as we brought the manual chair along with the power chair. The ramp itself is a real challenge in a manual chair, but these people will do everything thing they can to assist you. Because the gate to the ramp is locked, there is no fear of theft. Or maybe there was but I was too dumb to realize. The owners assured me it would be safe. Your other option would be to Google "Bermuda glass bottom boat rides" and look for the one out of Hamilton. That one is H/C accessible and may be your best option.

Enjoy! Especially the beautiful aqua blue waters!

Edited by NHBeadLady

awesome! I came to the boards just to look for accessiblity info for Bermuda! My dd is in her WC 100% of the time and I'd like to go to there. I'm getting cruise fever again and I'm leaning toward Bermuda!!

I was so pleased with how easy everything was, especially because I had my mind set for difficulties. There were a few things my DH couldn't do, but not as many as I thought there would be.

We're trying to decide where to go next! I LOVE cruising - I'd live on the ship if they let me. However if I did, it would probably take a crane to get me off the ship - gotta love those buffets!

• 1 year later...

I was on the summit in October. I use a scooter and travel by myself.

I found it extremely difficult to get outside on the upper two decks.

the door do not automatically open so I would have to wait for someone

to help me.

the dining room was pretty accessible. I would drive my scooter to my

table and then my waiter would move it out of the way and bring it

back when it was time to go.

I didn't have any trouble with the elevators. sometimes I had to wait

for a second elevator or I tend to ride up to go down or ride down to

go up.

I had a accessible sky suite and had plenty of room for he scooter in the

cabin. the bathroom was a good size. I did have the usual "water

goes everyone" syndrome but a couple of towels would catch it.

it was a fun cruise and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

• 4 weeks later...
How was the Summit for accessibility. We looked at the plans and specifications and it didn't seem too friendly. (i.e. commodes at 15" and such)

The Summit isn't my favorite ship. I don't remember the commode heights being a problem and the staterooms were ok but the doors are not automatic and there are some on the upper decks that have lips on them so you can't get outside. Some of the "improvements" that were made to bring the ship up to Solstice standard actually took away wheelchair access. Also, the pools are totally out of reach and any activities at them are out of sight.

Oh, poo. Have you tried the RC ship our of Bayonne yet? Airfare is so high to other ports these days. Of course there is the car-train if someone wrote a Trip Report!!

The Summit isn't my favorite ship. I don't remember the commode heights being a problem and the staterooms were ok but the doors are not automatic and there are some on the upper decks that have lips on them so you can't get outside. Some of the "improvements" that were made to bring the ship up to Solstice standard actually took away wheelchair access. Also, the pools are totally out of reach and any activities at them are out of sight.