Rouen what to do besides Paris

ja940

Normandy is a very pretty region with lots to see but it would help if you told us a little more about your interests.

Are you thinking of hiring a car, for example, or do you want to stay close to Rouen that day? If you're into monuments and churches, Rouen itself is quite interesting with a stunning Gothic cathedral and museums and medieval buildings in the main streets etc. If you go to Paris the day before you may feel like you just want to relax a little and take time to enjoy the street cafés and just wander around the city. As I said, it depends on what you're interested in.

Nigella, we were wondering if there was something within 1 hour of Rouen that was interesting. Say a ride in the French countryside and have lunch maybe seeing some sites, a relaxing day.

But we are still considering spending 2 days in Paris and getting a hotel to enjoy the Paris nightlife. We have only been to Paris once for one day. Need some suggestions.

Cruisers with just a day in Paris see so little & so fleetingly.

From Rouen, the train to Paris takes as little as 1hr 15 each way & costs as little as 30USD return.

So I'd take a day in Paris, followed by.......

.....a day in Paris

JB :)

John Bull, thanks for the Paris push, we needed that.

Need more help for ports in the UK - Isles of Scilly and St Peter Port Channel Isl. any suggestions welcome!

Sorry, many years since I went to Guernsey. It was an easy way for Brits to go "abroad", with a lot of French influences but re-assuring British phone boxes & bobbies & such.

St Peter Port is laid-back, very pleasant to wander. Castle Cornet is on the edge of the harbour & well worth a visit.

If you come across Senners Bakery in St Peter Port, try some of his Guernsey Gache, a traditional local cake. Years ago I used to supply Martin Senner with his ingredients, from my warehouse in Portsmouth

As for the rest of the island, we hired a car - this is what most folk do to explore if they're around for a couple of days. Car hire is cheap (there's no tax on buying cars), cars are generally under a year old, roads are seriously narrow & speeds are low.

Ex-Channel Island hire cars are sold second-hand in the UK as "one owner/low mileage"

Which I guess they are.

Kinda :D

Good local tourist website

www.visitguernsey.com

My knowledge of Guernsey is limited.

But my knowledge of the Scilly Isles is nil.

They're a bit remote, tourism is minimal & mainly confined to those with special interests such as marine life or bird-watching, or those who want to abandon the world for some peace & quiet.

I can't imagine you'll find bustling streets or even tourist shops.

After your day in the Scillies you'll know far more about them than 99% of Brits.

Though you could ask on the Britain forum, in case the 1% is looking in.

But here's the local tourism website - just scanning it has quadrupled my knowledge :rolleyes:

http://www.simplyscilly.co.uk/

JA940

Have you signed on to our roll call for this cruise? Several of us are going into Paris by train and staying overnight. We plan on taking the ship's walking tour of Rouen the last morning we're in port, if we're not worn out from our two-days whirlwind tour of Paris.

We've been to St. Peter Port on an Azamara cruise several years ago. We were there on a Sunday, which will be our day in port this year also. Most of the stores were closed. We walked around the port and visited the fort which would be particularly interesting if you've had a chance to watch the BBC television production, "Island at War," ...I've seen the DVD at my local library branch. Also enjoyed a bottle or two of the island's famous hard cider while we watched boats come and go in the port.

This year, I'm thinking we might just hire a cab driver to drive us around the island and stop somewhere for "a spot of tea." Hope it will be a relaxing port day.

Don't know much about Scilly, may be a repeat of same kind of day as Guernsey!

• 1 month later...
Sorry, many years since I went to Guernsey. It was an easy way for Brits to go "abroad", with a lot of French influences but re-assuring British phone boxes & bobbies & such.

St Peter Port is laid-back, very pleasant to wander. Castle Cornet is on the edge of the harbour & well worth a visit.

If you come across Senners Bakery in St Peter Port, try some of his Guernsey Gache, a traditional local cake. Years ago I used to supply Martin Senner with his ingredients, from my warehouse in Portsmouth

As for the rest of the island, we hired a car - this is what most folk do to explore if they're around for a couple of days. Car hire is cheap (there's no tax on buying cars), cars are generally under a year old, roads are seriously narrow & speeds are low.

Ex-Channel Island hire cars are sold second-hand in the UK as "one owner/low mileage"

Which I guess they are.

Kinda :D

Good local tourist website

www.visitguernsey.com

My knowledge of Guernsey is limited.

But my knowledge of the Scilly Isles is nil.

They're a bit remote, tourism is minimal & mainly confined to those with special interests such as marine life or bird-watching, or those who want to abandon the world for some peace & quiet.

I can't imagine you'll find bustling streets or even tourist shops.

After your day in the Scillies you'll know far more about them than 99% of Brits.

Though you could ask on the Britain forum, in case the 1% is looking in.

But here's the local tourism website - just scanning it has quadrupled my knowledge :rolleyes:

http://www.simplyscilly.co.uk/

Thank you very much JB

A good way to visit Guernsey is also to take the bus, line 7 goes all around the island (or 7A, the other way round, can't remember which is which). You can then exit the bus when you find the scenery pretty, walk for a bit, and board the bus again at a further stop. Other bus lines go pretty much everywhere in the island (although there will be less buses on Sundays). You can find the bus schedules and a good hiking map in the tourist office which is on the harbour, close to where the tenders will dock.

Archived