Phones Onboard

My teen wants to know if he will have a phone in our room for calling the girlfriend back home. If so, what are the regulations for calling the states? Can he pre-purchase a calling card? Also, do cell phones work on board and on land?

Only 32 days!!!

He might want to cut the conversations very short or resort to email. On the Carnival Legend in April they were running a special $6.99 per MINUTE! You can't buy prepaid cards for those phones. As for cell phones... some may work in ports such as St. Thomas or San Juan or St. Maarten but it's very hit or miss and it's dependent on the technology used on the island. If he's going to call home... he's better off to wait until he's in port and buy a pre-paid card for whatever telco is on the island. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than calling from the ship!!

Yes there is a phone in the room that you can use to call home. I believe it $9.95 a minute for a call. You might want to have him try out the internet cafe. Cell phones depend on who you have if it works on land. They don't work at sea unless you have a satelite phone.

sls

Cell phones - depends on your service plan. I was amazed at how many people were using theirs on board. I'm sure it's not cheap.

Not sure if you can use calling cards. You have a phone in the room and can dial directly to the U.S., but you will be charged something like $7 per minute. :eek: The Capers even say something like "enjoy the thrill of calling someone at home from the middle of the ocean." Yeah. SEVEN DOLLARS A MINUTE. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I think you should suggest to him that he speak to her when he returns.

I believe our cell phones worked in all three ports. We have cingular service. But really, do you think your son can go a week on an awesome vacation without speaking to his friend? Ours did, you never know what kind of presents and other stuff he can bring back for her. It will make their getting together a whole week later that much special. Plus, you never know who he might meet on the cruise!

I'd probably look into REMOVING the cabin phone. ;) Teenagers can talk for hours about nothing. The last thing you want on your S&S is a $500 phone charge. It would completely ruin your last night on the ship!

First of all, if your son has HIS OWN cell phone that HE pays for....then let him make all the calls he wants. DO NOT let him make calls from the room. I called home to check on my kids on our last cruise and talked for 20 min's and it cost me over $100. Instead (my husband sells cell phones at his electronics store) have him add International and/or No Roaming Charges plan to his cell phone prior to departure. He will be able to call from his cell without incurring crazy charges and pay one low monthly fee. He can always cancel the feature when he returns back home! It's well worth the extra monthly charge for the time he needs it.

Excellent advice. I'll check his cell phone plan to see if he can add international calls. Even if he only gets service on the islands, it will give hime something to look forward to.

Thank you all for your great advice.

See y'all on board the Conquest June 5th :)

Excellent advice. I'll check his cell phone plan to see if he can add international calls. Even if he only gets service on the islands, it will give hime something to look forward to.

Thank you all for your great advice.

See y'all on board the Conquest June 5th :)

Hubby and I both run businesses and we added international calling on all our cruises and cancelled it upon returning home. It worked out well...hope it works out for you too!!

Archived