Cabanas - GSC - Distance to tender/restrooms/food

bryanjaync

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the pictures and info. Just booked two of them for a cruise in March with a group. These are much bigger and nicer than the ones on Carnivals island and we enjoyed those very much.

• 1 month later...
Is it okay to have more than six in the cabana. While there did you see more than six. Already booked for Sept 2013. Thanks for the info.

Just off the Gem 8/18-8/25 sailing and had Cabana #4.

When you arrive at GSC you go to the Dive Hut to "check in". There, they collect waivers for the use of the Hippo Slide and give SIX members of your party wristbands for the Cabana. I assume the wristband is only important for the slide but can't be sure since the slide was taken down due to wind.

The guy giving out the wristbands was very emphatic that only 6 are allowed in the Cabana. However, we never saw him again as the Dive Hut is a 5 to 10-minute walk from the Cabana location. The NCL staff that actually oversees the Cabanas is much more relaxed. When we checked in, 2 members of our party were not with us and the Dive Hut guy would not give us their wristbands. He said they would have to check in when they arrived. Well, they didn't know that when they arrived so they came directly to the Cabana. We decided they would only go back to check in if we were bothered. We were never questioned about two non-wristband members in our Cabana. Of course, we also only had 4-6 in there at any given time. Don't know how they'd react if we had 10 people and some didn't have the wristband.

Does anyone know if there are beach towels in the cabana? Can you trade in the large float for the single type? Thanks for any info?

6 beach towels are provided and you can request more if needed.

Two single floats are provided along with the big float.

Hi, just returned from a cruise on the Gem Saturday and we rented Cabana #1 at GSC. Yes, it is about a 10 min walk, however, if you have anyone with you who needs special assistance, simply let them know and there will be a wheel chair designed for the sandy area waiting for you and you will have no problem at all. You will also get a menu as part of your booking of the cabana and can place special meal and drink orders from this for items not normally found on the island. The walk to the normal food area is about 5 min, and the bathrooms about the same. I can say that with the unknown weather, and the crowded beachfront with limited palm trees, the cabana is well worth the money. You can have up to 6 people in it for the $249. It will include 6 all day passes for the hippo slide if you have any children or young adults who want to enjoy that during the day. You will also get a large float to go out on the ocean with. The area of the beach where the cabana's are is fairly private, a short walk from the main beach where everyone else is. It was peaceful, relaxing, and very enjoyable. If I ever go again, I WILL sign up for the cabana as early as possible. There are only 8 and they are first come first serve. Hint: There is a 110v outlet in the cabana, so you can bring music with you and just keep it low as not to disturb people in the next cabana. With the unpredictable weather, and the scattered showers we had while there, it made the day very enjoyable rather than a wash out.

Thank you for an excellent review, I will be traveling with my elderly parents, my father in a wheelchair. All 6 of us are booked in a cabana on the Breakaway next Thanksgiving!

We had cabana #2 last week on Gem. Loved it and would def book one on our next cruise. Water, towels, 3 different kinds of salsa, chips and 2 yellow float mats were provided. Had a blast in the water, but didn't like getting bit by one of those "clear" fish that were swimmin the water. After that, I was on fish patrol the whole day. Those suckers can really nip!

Just off the Gem 8/18-8/25 sailing and had Cabana #4.

When you arrive at GSC you go to the Dive Hut to "check in". There, they collect waivers for the use of the Hippo Slide and give SIX members of your party wristbands for the Cabana. I assume the wristband is only important for the slide but can't be sure since the slide was taken down due to wind.

The guy giving out the wristbands was very emphatic that only 6 are allowed in the Cabana. However, we never saw him again as the Dive Hut is a 5 to 10-minute walk from the Cabana location. The NCL staff that actually oversees the Cabanas is much more relaxed. When we checked in, 2 members of our party were not with us and the Dive Hut guy would not give us their wristbands. He said they would have to check in when they arrived. Well, they didn't know that when they arrived so they came directly to the Cabana. We decided they would only go back to check in if we were bothered. We were never questioned about two non-wristband members in our Cabana. Of course, we also only had 4-6 in there at any given time. Don't know how they'd react if we had 10 people and some didn't have the wristband.

Thanks for the info. I have seven including two kids. Should have no problem

Thanks for the info. I have seven including two kids. Should have no problem

My pleasure.

One other thing to loook out for is how you use the $50 credit. They give you an order form to pre-order food. Don't know why I read this as simply an option to order food in advance as opposed to ordering it when I got to the Cabana. But, that's not how it works. Pre-order means order in advance or not at all. Makes sense looking back. No big deal and just meant no shrimp, eating at the buffet instead, and using the credit for drinks.

With regard to the credit, the $50 credit appears on your bill. To the extent you use it all there are no other adjustments. However, we only used $32 and there was an $18 charge placed on the bill to reverse the unused credit. We expected this but were told a different story at GSC by NCL reps who said the $50 can be used on the ship as well. Seems there was a little confusion there.

$50 credit or no $50 credit, I will get a Cabana 100% of the time.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
We had cabana #2 last week on Gem. Loved it and would def book one on our next cruise. Water, towels, 3 different kinds of salsa, chips and 2 yellow float mats were provided. Had a blast in the water, but didn't like getting bit by one of those "clear" fish that were swimmin the water. After that, I was on fish patrol the whole day. Those suckers can really nip!

Loving all these posts. Just booked our cabana for 11/18!!! Quiick question: you say 3 kinds of sals/chips, is that part of the $50 credit or is it separate? Also, is water also provided free of charge? Thank you

Loving all these posts. Just booked our cabana for 11/18!!! Quiick question: you say 3 kinds of sals/chips, is that part of the $50 credit or is it separate? Also, is water also provided free of charge? Thank you

Salsa, chips, and water are part of the Cabana fee. They don't count against your $50 credit.

There are a few NCL attendants more than willing to get drinks. They even said they would go to the buffet for us if we told them what we wanted! One attendant (who looked to be in charge) checked in on us a few times during the day to see if we needed anything. There are others who hang out under a tent behind the Cabanas. When we needed a drink, we grabbed one of them. No charge for the waiter, but we did tip a few bucks. These are the drinks that count against your $50 credit.

Funny story...there was a cart about 30 yards from the Cabanas. On the way back from the water my brother grabbed a beer. The guy who sold it to him said, "Next time you want a beer, get a waiter! You don't need to be walking all this way from the Cabana!"

BTW, the salsa was delicious. Very fresh and tasty.

Hi

How do you get a $50 credit? So it is worth it to get a cabana? Seems pricey.......

Thanks

Sandi

The credit is Included with the cabana rental. You can pre-order from a special menu or just get drinks on the island that day and if not used then, you loose it.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Salsa, chips, and water are part of the Cabana fee. They don't count against your $50 credit.

There are a few NCL attendants more than willing to get drinks. They even said they would go to the buffet for us if we told them what we wanted! One attendant (who looked to be in charge) checked in on us a few times during the day to see if we needed anything. There are others who hang out under a tent behind the Cabanas. When we needed a drink, we grabbed one of them. No charge for the waiter, but we did tip a few bucks. These are the drinks that count against your $50 credit.

Funny story...there was a cart about 30 yards from the Cabanas. On the way back from the water my brother grabbed a beer. The guy who sold it to him said, "Next time you want a beer, get a waiter! You don't need to be walking all this way from the Cabana!"

BTW, the salsa was delicious. Very fresh and tasty.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
We couldn't give away any hippo slide passes. We just got a wristband that said "cabana" which was also used on the hipposlide. We only got a wristband when we arrived on the island, so if there were only two in your party, you only got two wristbands, none to share with others. I thought that would be kind, as well, to give away the hippo slide bands to kids that would enjoy them, but it wasn't possible.

Hi Sherry- hope all is well. We are going on the Gem in June with our regular group and the Cabana may be fun. Did you think it was worth it?

• 1 month later...
Just was lurking on the HAL boards a lot of complaints it seems their cabana's on their private island is now 399.00. Wow!

I booked for our January cruise and NCL price is now 299.00-so much for that free 50.00!!! lol

Oh well, they sound lovely!!!!

We had no bugs but we did have a very large crab and the cabana next to us had a large spider! Despite that we loved the cabana and will sure to get one on next trip to GSC if available.

If we are able to get a cabana can we request one that doesn't come with a large spider. Other wise if my daughter sees one the whole island and everyone left on the ship will know it. She has such a phoebea of them not matter what size. The crab she can handle. lol

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Does anyone knw if you can return to the ship with what's left of your bottle of vodka (or whatever). Would be nice to Oder a bottle with mixers, but there are only two of us renting the cabana and we cant drink that much!

This is a great question. I can't wait to see the answer to it.

Archived