Possibly doing Jan QE2 Transatlantic

QueensFan

I am thinking about convincing my parents to take me on the January '06 QE2 transatlantic, as research for my novel (see my other thread on that). However, I would have to do this in the cheapest way possible.

I would really prefer to dine in the Caronia, as my novel's main character is dining there, and there will be a lot of important plot elements taking place there.

To save money, I was wondering if there was a good chance of booking an M1 and hoping for a C5 upgrade. That way, we could save a few hundred bucks by booking the Mauretania cabin. But I don't want to get stuck in the Mauretania, thus messing up the research purpose of my book!

Also, is there any chance of getting a REALLY good rate on the crossing by booking somewhere other than Cunard? I think, however, that this is difficult, because it is technically a World Cruise segment.

I have to make this trip, for two purposes. First, of course, for my book. And second: since I was eight years old, my dream has been to sail transatlantic on the QE2. I think that this might be my last chance, ever, to acheive this dream. And I need any help I can get to find the most affordable way to achieve my dream of seven years.

Thanks for the help!

_QF

Hi:

As I mentioned in a different thread, I contacted 23 travel agents (newspaper ads, local phone book and the internet) in one day. I then called the local travel agent who had booked our QE2 crossing in 2003. She met my lowest price (saving me $636/person less that the Cunard quote) and threw in a Barbados tour and luncheon and then a cocktail party on the ship. We're going on the QM2 Caribbean cruise on 12/8/05.

Cathie

You would have an excellent chance of a Caronia upgrade if you are able to book an M1 guarantee. A guarantee is when one books the appropriate category and the line assigns the cabin generally 2 to 4 weeks prior to departure. You may receive an M1 cabin or possibly an upgrade to a C type. I have done this many times and been very fortunate. However the downside is you may receive an M1 in an undesirable location or smaller cabin. As we all know on this board, the sizes and shapes of the cabins vary considerably within the same category. Also Cunard often does not allow booking triples or quads in a guarantee.

Personally I couldn't care less how small the cabin is or the location. Just being on board the Queen Elizabeth 2 is enough for me.

Archived