Regatta -- Dancing opportunities?

boomer-mg

My husband and I are travelling next week on the Regatta. We have been taking dance lessons and are hoping to get a chance to practice what we've learned. Is there a dance floor in one of the venues and music every evening? If so, typically what kind of music?

Thanks for any information previous passengers can share on this subject.

Margie

There is music in Horizons from 5:45 to 6:30. Rarely anyone there. Hope you don't mind being the only ones dancing. We have been doing lessons for a few years off and on and have finally reached the point where we can actually sortof do a couple of dances.

On our cruise in March we mapped out this strategy, but only at the end of the cruise.....Tea in Horizons after 4 sometime. Then happy hour from 5-6 and the music starts at 5:45, so dancing until 6:30. then dinner and then some more dancing if you can stay awake! I think the band/orchestra plays from 8:45 to 9:30 in the lounge before the show and then maybe again in Horizons later. We usually eat dinner late and skip the show.....

Yesterday was our anniversary and I gave DH a private lesson so we could hopefully master a new sequence in the waltz for our cruise in 2 weeks. It was fun and we just might be able to do it now.

The ChaCha is my favourite dance which is funny because I hated it when we started to learn it.

It is fun and we don't care if we make mistakes so that helps. Also, most people don't really watch and they don't know or care if you make mistakes. So enjoy. Too bad you are not on our cruise. We are on Marina.

Mo

My husband and I are travelling next week on the Regatta. We have been taking dance lessons and are hoping to get a chance to practice what we've learned. Is there a dance floor in one of the venues and music every evening? If so, typically what kind of music?

Oceania_Regatta_045.JPG

Margie

There is also a large dance floor in the Regatta lounge where the full ships Orchestra plays for dancing each evening (usually before the show I think).

pete-trudy-img_95082.png

Speaking of Dance Classes, have you seen this Madmen clip of the newlywed couple showing off their Dance Class moves?

Volendam-1-Ocean-Lounge-Bar-2.jpg This SO reminds me of every cocktail hour in the Ocean Bar on Holland America.

Cute clip. I have never watched Madmen, although I hear it is good.

I must say I have much admiration for the competitors on DWTS. I don't know how they do so well in only a week, but they do put in a lot of hours.

As someone who was born with 6 left feet and almost no natural rhythm, it has taken a while to learn, but we are having fun with it.

Mo

Thanks for the info. My husband resisted taking lessons for many years, but finally gave in (after I agreed to learn golf). Now he actually enjoys it, even though our progress is extremely slow. We are especially enjoying merengue and swing. So I hope he will be brave enough to get up even if no one else is dancing!!

And it would be nice if we find some others that enjoy it, too.

Margie

Margie...we also like dance music. Not great at it and probably never will but we still like to try. Would be nice to have company, so who knows we may see you there. Loved the dance floor on the QM2 & the music but also like the orchestra playing at the Oceania lounge; it is too bad that there seems to be little interest in dancing. I think most couples are just too shy! We will be on the transatlantic on the 11th also. Hope to see you on board. Join our roll call; we are a nice large group. Have a safe trip also. Vicky:)

Vicki, we are on the roll call. We'll have to look for each other at the meet and mingle. Only a little more than a week away! I'm starting to stress on what to pack, as I always do.

Margie

Margie

Last September, on the Panama Canal voyage, there were two terrific couples, one from the Bay Area and the other from Australia, who danced almost every night away in Horizons. The combo stayed for as long as they wanted to dance, and they closed the place every night! Happy times. So -- I hope you are able to dance for as long and as often as your heart desires.

Bon Voyage!

DH and I were on the Marina for the spring Miami to Barcelona crossing. On R ships dancing in the lounge was nice with a dance floor in the middle of the lounge. However on the Marina when you go to dance before the show in the Marina Lounge, you have to step up onto a raised stage. Nice type of floor, but I did not like the feeling of stepping onto a stage.

When we were on Marina, there was a band that played in Horizons nearly every night. They were called The Band of Joy. Extremely good. 3 guys on instruments, with a girl singer. Two of the guys sang also, especially the 3 days when the girl was sick. I thought that I would google them when I got home, however, got another type of band altogether with the same name.

Archived